Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2016, 04:58 PM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,766 times

Advertisements

Hi to all my neighbors across the pond

I'm an american college student (I think you all just say university) and this coming summer I will have the opportunity to do a study abroad/co-op in the UK or in Australia (don't worry this isn't another which country is better post ).

I would like some suggestions on ways to make friends before moving there.

I am sure I will meet people and make friends once I am there, I just would rather already have a person I can ask important questions and rely on my first few weeks there. Someone to go out with, hang with etc.

I googled some sites to make friends in your country but many looked a little unprofessional to me or at the very least, they appeared as if they have very few members. They seemed to be more aimed at people from 3rd world countries (not that their is anything wrong with being from a 3rd world country).

I would say those were about 30% of the sites, the other 70% of the sites I found seemed to be for people wanting to date "Hot and sexy" foreign woman in your country -anyone ever notice that it is always hot, young, sexy, or models they promise us if we join their sites

Anyway, any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 05:33 PM

296 posts, read 260,347 times
It goes without saying to use caution, when making contacts on the internet for real life meetings.
With that being said, the best advice i can give is to go with your hobbies/interests, example.. if you like cycling, join a cycling group.
Anything more than "friends" will not end well for you & will be a scam. Don't fall for that garbage

Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,645,526 times
Based on my granddaughter's experience with study abroad in London, you shouldn't have a problem making friends as soon as you arrive there. (Unless maybe you are the only s/a student.) She is in a dorm with 7 other s/a students on her floor, and probably a hundred or more altogether. Right away she was posting on facebook of going various places with these new friends.

As far as information ahead of time, both your current school, and the s/a school should be providing you with details you need to know. Many other questions can also be answered in forums like this.

We got good advice on the London bus/tube system, airports, SIM cards, etc in this very forum.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:08 PM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,766 times
Thanks you Kas982 and reed303 for your answers.

I do not intend on dating a stranger in another country off of the internet Kas982 so that will not be a problem.

Reed303, it's so weird because I thought the same thing. When I talked to our study abroad director she told me that if you plan to be over there for a weekend, then they put you in groups and have contacts, but for the rare few who want to spend an entire semester in a different country; they are pretty much on their own (I think it is obvious why most students choose the weekend option).

So why did I pick an entire semster abroad instead of just a weekend? Because it would be financially rediculous to choose that option. A weekend abroad cost on average $8,000 BUT WAIT! It gets better, that is the price without airfare! Yup... you have to pay for your own airfare and roundtrip ticket on top of the $8,000.

So I figured I may as well get an entire summer out of if and plus it may be cheaper, because all I have to pay for is airfare and my own food, apt, etc. I'll be working, I'll get a paycheck, so I know that I will not spend $8,000 plus airfare before my first paycheck.

___

Though sadly thanks to Brexit the pound is now less or about the same as our U.S dollar, So my plans of getting rich are ruined!

Old 10-06-2016, 12:19 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,068,990 times
There were loads of Clubs and Societies to join, when I was at Uni (many years ago). And I'm sure they had one for International Students.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
Thanks you Kas982 and reed303 for your answers.

I do not intend on dating a stranger in another country off of the internet Kas982 so that will not be a problem.

Reed303, it's so weird because I thought the same thing. When I talked to our study abroad director she told me that if you plan to be over there for a weekend, then they put you in groups and have contacts, but for the rare few who want to spend an entire semester in a different country; they are pretty much on their own (I think it is obvious why most students choose the weekend option).

So why did I pick an entire semster abroad instead of just a weekend? Because it would be financially rediculous to choose that option. A weekend abroad cost on average $8,000 BUT WAIT! It gets better, that is the price without airfare! Yup... you have to pay for your own airfare and roundtrip ticket on top of the $8,000.

So I figured I may as well get an entire summer out of if and plus it may be cheaper, because all I have to pay for is airfare and my own food, apt, etc. I'll be working, I'll get a paycheck, so I know that I will not spend $8,000 plus airfare before my first paycheck.

___

Though sadly thanks to Brexit the pound is now less or about the same as our U.S dollar, So my plans of getting rich are ruined!
What kind of "study abroad" program is only for a weekend ?? Granddaughter's runs the 3 months from mid-Sept to mid-Dec. Tuition and room & board is her normal US college rate, they pay the UK college. She did a GoFundMe to help with airfare, etc. And she is not the rare few, the entire dorm is S/A students.

If going to UK, you cannot work on a Student visa. Don't know about Oz.

Not clear on your Brexit comment. Right now a US dollar buys more in the UK then it did before.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What kind of "study abroad" program is only for a weekend ?? Granddaughter's runs the 3 months from mid-Sept to mid-Dec. Tuition and room & board is her normal US college rate, they pay the UK college. She did a GoFundMe to help with airfare, etc. And she is not the rare few, the entire dorm is S/A students.

If going to UK, you cannot work on a Student visa. Don't know about Oz.

Not clear on your Brexit comment. Right now a US dollar buys more in the UK then it did before.
Not true. You can work, but only part time, i think the max is 24hrs per week. I think in OZ you need some sort of vouch/reference from the employer.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
Not true. You can work, but only part time, i think the max is 24hrs per week. I think in OZ you need some sort of vouch/reference from the employer.
Granddaughter is there now in a Semester Abroad program for 3 months on a Short Term Study visa. https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa specifically says "You can’t:

work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business"

If on a long term Tier 4 visa, work is allowed https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa
You can "work in most jobs - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have"

OP said she wanted to do a Semester Abroad program.

You may be thinking of the Tier 4 Child (4-17) visa
https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa
"You can also work, if you’re 16 or over:
part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week"

Old 10-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Granddaughter is there now in a Semester Abroad program for 3 months on a Short Term Study visa. https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa specifically says "You can’t:

work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business"

If on a long term Tier 4 visa, work is allowed https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa
You can "work in most jobs - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have"

OP said she wanted to do a Semester Abroad program.

You may be thinking of the Tier 4 Child (4-17) visa
https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa
"You can also work, if you’re 16 or over:
part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week"
Just to say, those short term study visas are not generally refered to as "student visas". Also where i work we employ dozens of foriegn students, no need for any sponsors, it's all written in the students passport sticker what they can & cannot do.
As you say, it doesn't apply in the case of the op as Short Term Study visas are excluded.

• 20 hours a week if you are studying at degree level or above at a higher education institution
  • 20 hours a week if you are on a study abroad programme at an "overseas higher education institution" in the UK
  • 10 hours a week if you are studying a course that is below degree level at a "higher education institution"
  • 10 hours a week if you have immigration permission as a Tier 4 (Child) Student.
UKCISA - international student advice and guidance - How many hours can you work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom