Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 01:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times

Advertisements

Each person will have his or her own reasons for wearing a poppy. For some it may well be political but, for many - if not most - others, it is simply an act of remembrance.

My father was Jewish. Were it not for the sacrifice made by thousands of British servicemen and women, he would have been herded into the gas chambers along with the rest of his family. I am deeply grateful for that sacrifice. The poppy represents their humanity and their sacrifice. For me, there is nothing political about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 05:36 AM

490 posts, read 682,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
So why were Ireland allowed to wear a political symbol in regards to the Irish Uprising in 1916
FIFA are investigating that very incident.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:52 AM

27,294 posts, read 13,556,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Each person will have his or her own reasons for wearing a poppy. For some it may well be political but, for many - if not most - others, it is simply an act of remembrance.

My father was Jewish. Were it not for the sacrifice made by thousands of British servicemen and women, he would have been herded into the gas chambers along with the rest of his family. I am deeply grateful for that sacrifice. The poppy represents their humanity and their sacrifice. For me, there is nothing political about it.

As long it's a pay day lending company, pawn brokers, bookmakers or internet gambling company etc then it's fine to put it on premiership shirts.

Just make sure you don't remember those who died for our freedom by putting a poppy on an international shirt.

Fifa and UEFA are sponsored by massive corportations including many fast food and soft drinks companies, I bet if they could make even money through some sponsorship deal on international shirts they would be quite happy, indeed you just need to look at the Digital LED hoarding advertising during international games and the money now involved in football, not to mention the corruption.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:26 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
My Father and Grandfather weren't political either but both went to war to fight for our freedom, all who went need to be remembered for their sacrifice, the Poppy is not a symbol of war it is a reminder of the poppies in Flanders fields that represents the thousands of young men who lost their precious lives there.
You have hit it wham bang wollop right on the head Cushla, this has nothihng at all to do with politics its to do with the men who were sent off to war some teenagers with hardly any training, some sent right to the front to die, they probably didnt care about politics at that time either but they still had to go and give their lives for us, its the very lease we can do , is to buy a poppy to remember them and give to their charity. thank you Cushla

Old 11-08-2016, 08:24 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times
Perhaps the French need to be reminded that were it not for the men whose lives are commemorated by the poppies, FIFA would have been replaced by IVVB, or Internationaler Verband der Vereinigung Fußball...

Old 11-11-2016, 01:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,121,833 times
So the England Scotland game has started, and it looks as if both clubs have defined the ruling, and will probably face a heavy penalty by FIFA

The problem now is that they've set a precedent for other tributes to follow. Could there be a Holocaust tribute, or an AIDS tribute, or Holdomor tribute et al. And if they're refused by FIFA will the affected countries defy them in the same way?

I understand the sentiment, especially given today is Remembrance Day, but I suspect this might grease a very slippery slope

Old 11-11-2016, 01:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,073,540 times
We have a bit of an odd situation tomorrow. First of all, Wales are playing Rugby against Argentina, and the team will be wearing poppies on their shirts:

Wales rugby team WILL wear poppies on their shirts during match with Argentina to honour war dead - Wales Online

But then later on that evening, Wales will be playing Football against Serbia, but this time they will not be wearing poppy armbands (unlike England and Scotland):

Wales will NOT wear poppies on shirts in World Cup 2018 qualifier against Serbia | Daily Mail Online

I must say that I am a bit disappointed with the Welsh team about this, especially as both England and Scotland has 'defied' FIFA. I understand that Wales do not want any points deducted (as we are desperate to qualify for the World Cup), or to have a fine, but there is also a principle at stake here.

However, I think that some of the comments in the Daily Mail article are quite harsh, calling us "cowards" etc.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
So the England Scotland game has started, and it looks as if both clubs have defined the ruling, and will probably face a heavy penalty by FIFA

The problem now is that they've set a precedent for other tributes to follow. Could there be a Holocaust tribute, or an AIDS tribute, or Holdomor tribute et al. And if they're refused by FIFA will the affected countries defy them in the same way?

I understand the sentiment, especially given today is Remembrance Day, but I suspect this might grease a very slippery slope
I suggest that the English and Scottish clubs state that they will deliver the fines personally to FIFA's French officials at the Thiepval Memorial in Flanders.

Other countries and groups are at liberty to do the same at any war memorials to their troops in France.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom