Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:31 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,089,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Certain states may allow sparklers or smaller firework displays (some are open; others require permits). And then there are States that don't allow any private (average citizens) to use fireworks at all.

Unfortunately, regardless of permits/restrictions, Crackers and similar devices are banned throughout the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe we're talking about two different things. In the US we do not have Christmas Crackers. It has nothing to do with sparklers or fireworks. My state does not allow those for safety reasons. It's not unfortunate--kids had their hands blown off and some were badly burnt by sparklers. People learned.

But the US simply does not follow the tradition of Christmas Crackers. It's HORRIBLE!

I have had them because my aunt and uncles came from England. Mine never contained a very flattering hat or anything else much of interest but they were FUN!
You're not allowed Christmas crackers or fireworks... but, er... you are allowed to have guns??!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 01:44 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
You're not allowed Christmas crackers or fireworks... but, er... you are allowed to have guns??!
Almost. WE (where I live) are NOT allowed to have GUNS or FIREWORKS. Actually, people here can have a gun but they have to pass a background check first. Most people here do not want a gun. It's for hunters or for people who like to practice target shooting. We most certainly ARE allowed Christmas crackers--the kind that contain hats and prizes.

THEY (usually down south) can have everything. Which is one reason I do not go there.

I know, it's a confusing, messed up country over here. Each state has its own individual laws.
Laws vary greatly from state to state. It's like a mess of different little countries, rather like the EU? And we do not get along.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Almost. WE (where I live) are NOT allowed to have GUNS or FIREWORKS. Actually, people here can have a gun but they have to pass a background check first. Most people here do not want a gun. It's for hunters or for people who like to practice target shooting. We most certainly ARE allowed Christmas crackers--the kind that contain hats and prizes.

THEY (usually down south) can have everything. Which is one reason I do not go there.

I know, it's a confusing, messed up country over here. Each state has its own individual laws.
Laws vary greatly from state to state. It's like a mess of different little countries, rather like the EU? And we do not get along.
Well, I'm glad you are allowed Christmas crackers. Yes, inside there is usually a small toy/piece of plastic tat, a paper hat and a naff joke. It's all a bit silly really, but it's traditional to have them.

Your gun laws are a bit messed up, yes. When I did my student job in the US (I'm on about it again...), a woman I worked with once said to me "Why don't you all have guns in England?". I was a little horrified at that. And I made sure I kept on the right side of her, in case SHE had a gun!

Old 01-01-2017, 02:31 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Well, I'm glad you are allowed Christmas crackers. Yes, inside there is usually a small toy/piece of plastic tat, a paper hat and a naff joke. It's all a bit silly really, but it's traditional to have them.

Your gun laws are a bit messed up, yes. When I did my student job in the US (I'm on about it again...), a woman I worked with once said to me "Why don't you all have guns in England?". I was a little horrified at that. And I made sure I kept on the right side of her, in case SHE had a gun!
Oh yes. I didn't buy Christmas crackers this year but, looking at family pictures on FB today, other family members did get them. My family, like most over here, is spread out for thousands of miles across the country so we only see each other on FB. Some are wearing silly crowns and others still have the crackers unopened in front of them on the table.

I am horrified when people on here come and talk as if we all have GUNS. In the north eastern part of the USA--no guns. But there's nothing we can do if someone from another part of the country drives here with a car load of GUNS.

I have read that in some parts of this country people even go outside at midnight on New Years and shoot off guns into the sky!

You must have worked your student job in the south?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Oh yes. I didn't buy Christmas crackers this year but, looking at family pictures on FB today, other family members did get them. My family, like most over here, is spread out for thousands of miles across the country so we only see each other on FB. Some are wearing silly crowns and others still have the crackers unopened in front of them on the table.

I am horrified when people on here come and talk as if we all have GUNS. In the north eastern part of the USA--no guns. But there's nothing we can do if someone from another part of the country drives here with a car load of GUNS.

I have read that in some parts of this country people even go outside at midnight on New Years and shoot off guns into the sky!

It was in a nice peaceful area of Delaware, lol! So, I was a bit taken aback when she mentioned "guns" in conversation. It got me a bit worried, as it's not something us Brits ever consider, or even talk about!

I can't say that I ever thought about looking into the gun laws of Delaware, before I went over there, either! And I still don't know anything about them.

I'm sure the woman didn't have a gun though (well, I hope not ). I think she was wondering why the UK is so against it, in comparison to the US.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,973,090 times
Quote:

Well, that isn't exactly true. Some of the north eastern states have a pretty low incidence of gun ownership. Others, such as Vermont or Maine, have a fairly high incidence.

I live in Arizona which is pretty average in terms of ownership. Thing is, guns are not an everyday topic of conversation. I think that Europeans (including Brits) are more interested in the phenomenon than we are.

Gun Ownership Statistics by State - Demographic Data

Old 01-02-2017, 02:11 AM

18,597 posts, read 18,889,865 times
Quote:
Yeh but most people are back at work on Dec 26th. But wouldn't it be great! And we should adopt Christmas crackers too.
What, you dont have xmas crackers...

Old 01-02-2017, 04:37 AM

17,686 posts, read 17,895,244 times
To legally own a gun in USA one must pass a background check at the minimum. The requirements vary depending on city and state. To get a concealed carry permit, the test is more involved and includes laws and situational scenarios. Fireworks only require money. Some fireworks have the impact of a small bomb. Even small fireworks can blow off a finger or two. Some communities have banned private fireworks sale due to risk of fire due to dry conditions and irresponsible users. Even as a kid we had water hoses and buckets of water ready. We once set part of a field on fire but because we were ready it never got beyond a small patch. There have been homes set on fire from fireworks, kids looking an eye or fingers, and idiots who set their car on fire trying to shoot fireworks out their car at people on the sidewalk. Majority of the shootings in USA are by criminals who got their guns illegally.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:16 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
If I lived in America, I would want to live in an open carry state.......... I would want a double holster, with a silver plated 45 on each hip......... Plus jangling spurs.........

I'd walk in a bar, and order some red eye, and drink it down in one........ then look at the big guy next to me, slit my eyes, and say, "you got a problem with me pilgrim?"............

My second childhood can't be far off now..........

Old 01-02-2017, 06:22 AM

17,686 posts, read 17,895,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
If I lived in America, I would want to live in an open carry state.......... I would want a double holster, with a silver plated 45 on each hip......... Plus jangling spurs.........

I'd walk in a bar, and order some red eye, and drink it down in one........ then look at the big guy next to me, slit my eyes, and say, "you got a problem with me pilgrim?"............

My second childhood can't be far off now..........
Back in the day my uncles use to bring a rifle and hand gun with them when they went fishing. They didn't use the guns for fishing. Their fishing was in the swamps of south Louisiana. Occasionally theyd come across a snake, turtle, or alligator. At the time hunting gators was illegal but some people still did it and hope they didn't get caught. Good meat and the skin made for boots, belts, etc. the kind of turtles they came across weren't the kind most people think about. These were prehistoric alligator snapping turtles. These are vicious and aggressive monsters. The snakes theyd shoot with their handgun we're poisonous and would climb into the boat if you let them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alli...napping_turtle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom