Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,830,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Just an update for you. VW has overtaken Toyota in 2016 as the worlds best selling carmaker. That in spite of all the scandals. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Of course they are rigging as usual to get ahead. I personally think all German cars should be banned from USA. Stick that to your pipe and inhale it.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 PM

1,529 posts, read 920,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Have they paid their $14.7 billion US fine and settlement yet?
Don't know, if they haven't yet I am sure they will. Not sure what this has to do with BREXIT. Newbie brought VW into the mix.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,830,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Don't know, if they haven't yet I am sure they will. Not sure what this has to do with BREXIT. Newbie brought VW into the mix.
I did because when I was at a church in leafy London suburb, organized speakers from both sides were there, the No Brexit camp said if UK was with EU, there would be more effort to deal with global warming. That's when I bursted out laughing, I almost asked them in my California accent, what the heck have they been smoking, VW came to my mind. But I only managed to shout out GO TRUMP. What a bunch of natives people who were running U.K. Government. I hope they got fired.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I did because when I was at a church in leafy London suburb, organized speakers from both sides were there, the No Brexit camp said if UK was with EU, there would be more effort to deal with global warming. That's when I bursted out laughing, I almost asked them in my California accent, what the heck have they been smoking, VW came to my mind. But I only managed to shout out GO TRUMP. What a bunch of natives people who were running U.K. Government. I hope they got fired.
?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 PM

1,274 posts, read 984,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Personally I think the principle member states of the EU (Germany and France, to name but two), will worry not only about the UK leaving the EU, but also concern themselves with the weak & vulnerable Eurozone.

The PIIGs are still suffering social and economic hardships due to severe austerity measures brought about by their respective governments in order to receive additional loans from the European Central Banks.

On top of that there is the political and social unease in some of the larger member states (again, France and Germany, come to mind) with regards the refugee crisis.

And given that both the UK and the US have moved towards the Right in terms of political alignment, it could quite easily ignite the Right (and extreme Right) wing of parties across these very same member states.

And with the UK on the brink (well, at least 2 years time) from withdrawing from the EU, and a global recession forecast to land in the same kind of time frame, there is going to be some massive instability across all fronts for a period of years I would think. And I don't think the UK is best equipped to cope with it on its own.
Man the UK just provided the EU whatever they needed to show what would happen if you leave the EU, if anything, the UK have created exactly what the EU was looking for, a good reason to be together.

I am definitely not sure the EU would fall part, that's more a wishful thinking than anything else.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 AM

8,792 posts, read 8,206,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
So what, you think the UK Government is not going to vote for the legislation?

That's the way national referenda are supposed to work, the referendum is held, the result is tallied, then the government enacts the result.
So what? So they get another bite. Which is EXACTLY what I said above. As for what they will or will not vote for, that's unknown... Just as no one thought the BREXIT would happen, just as no one thought Trump would be elected... The world is in flux, the UK is getting another shot at this.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So what? So they get another bite. Which is EXACTLY what I said above. As for what they will or will not vote for, that's unknown... Just as no one thought the BREXIT would happen, just as no one thought Trump would be elected... The world is in flux, the UK is getting another shot at this.
It's not another shot at all, unless you're completely clueless. It's the same bite.

Look law needs to be passed through the government according to rules. Theresa May was trying to invoke Art. 50 without following the rules. However that was injuncted by the UK'S supreme court, that doesn't give a second bite, just requires that the government follow the rules and respect the referendum outcome. Respecting the result of the referendum is not legally binding, however it would violate the UK'S democratic process, and may lead to constitutional issues in regards to parliament, it's legitimacy, and the legality of ignoring it (even though the original referendum act was non-binding).

One of the strongest supporters of ensuring the Art. 50 legislation is passed has been Jeremy Corbin, even though he is strongly against leaving the EU, he's even more against violating the will of the people. Hats off to the guy, he's clearly a man of principle.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:54 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,206,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It's not another shot at all, unless you're completely clueless. It's the same bite.

Look law needs to be passed through the government according to rules. Theresa May was trying to invoke Art. 50 without following the rules. However that was injuncted by the UK'S supreme court, that doesn't give a second bite, just requires that the government follow the rules and respect the referendum outcome. Respecting the result of the referendum is not legally binding, however it would violate the UK'S democratic process, and may lead to constitutional issues in regards to parliament, it's legitimacy, and the legality of ignoring it (even though the original referendum act was non-binding).

One of the strongest supporters of ensuring the Art. 50 legislation is passed has been Jeremy Corbin, even though he is strongly against leaving the EU, he's even more against violating the will of the people. Hats off to the guy, he's clearly a man of principle.
No, you look!. You are saying that it is not binding... That and the FACT that there must be another vote is Exactly what I said. You may editorialize if you want to try to justify jumping on my statements, but the fact that parliament WILL or WON'T vote as the people want is still to be seen. Adding all that other mumbo-jumbo has nothing to do with my statements.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Not sure I understand your post. Especially the last sentence. You hope a bunch of natives people who were running UK Government got fired?

Never-mind, I shall read the whole post a few more times, maybe I will eventually figure it out.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:19 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, you look!. You are saying that it is not binding... That and the FACT that there must be another vote is Exactly what I said. You may editorialize if you want to try to justify jumping on my statements, but the fact that parliament WILL or WON'T vote as the people want is still to be seen. Adding all that other mumbo-jumbo has nothing to do with my statements.
What do you mean "another vote" because I don't think it means what you think it means.

Yes like the US electoral college the UK Government (who are the only people who will get to vote) will have a "vote". But like the US electoral college, the representatives voting are morally tied to vote the Art 50 act to result in the same outcome as the referendum. There isn't going to be a second referendum on this, and the vote is for procedural reasons only (i.e. the UK govt. Have to vote for it to be law).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom