Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I visited my doctor today , first time in three years.. rotten bug going around... anyway Im sitting there and in comes this black man..who goes to the reception area, he could hardly speak a word but I overheard him say.... "I need a doctor now".... the receptionist asked if he had an appointment.... He looked blankly at her.... "I want to see a doctor now"... the receiptionist asked what was wrong and that he would have to make an appointment ... He said "my bottom of foot with a fall"... She then repeated he would still need an appointment or go to A&E... He walked out but while Im still waiting to be seen he comes back, this time with a bit more arrogance.... "I need a doctor now Im ill".......she looked at him and asid " IF its an emergency you have to go to A&E... he then asked where it was... She said it was the local hospital in Glasgow, so he says to her... "I will sit here then till someone comes to get me"... The receiptionist said "no sorry, you will have to get a bus or taxi. we dont provide transport"..... red rag to a bull now..........." BUT this is the NHS, everything is free why cant I get car to take me" so I peaked round to see the receiptionist face and it was a picture.... going by how many came in and out in the 20 mins I waitied she must be demented.... as this is how they see us.. a soft touch.. we had to get out of this, but sadly a bit too late.. Now before someone jumps down my sick throat.. I dont have any grudges against black or any colour.. in fact my doctor is Asian and a lovely man... what Im talking about are all these immigrants who have flooded in and who are jamming up our NHS.... My daughters husband was in A&E two nights ago with leg pains after a terrible accident at work, hes been waiting weeks for scans etc.. and cant sleep with bad leg cramps . his doctors hands are tied as he needs the scan results first before he can go ahead with plans but the system is so bad now that the waiting lists are getting longer .... so my daughter insisted he go to A&E as she was worried his injury could develop into something more sinsister being left so long.... up they go and hes in a cubicle next to an immigrant, what was the immigrant in A&E for.... he had sweaty feet and was worried........ no joke, sweaty bloody feet.... they did a scan on his feet and said he was fine and to change his socks often and use special talc.... now if Id have been a doctor Id have lead him out by the collar, if this is how our NHS is to be run, then we ll be run right into the ground... why dont the politicians admit to all this, THEY must know whats going on and the A&E staff must be demented if this sort of thing goes on constantly..... their using it like a chemist or doctors surgery when its for serious accidents etc.. If this isnt sorted soon we really are in dire trouble. Now thats just two stories within a few days of each other so how many others can tell similar stories..
You realise that those nasty, nasty black people are not coming in from the EU, right? Brexit won't change anything about that.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 AM

861 posts, read 855,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
No the status quo was not better. I understand what you are saying though. We couldn't carry on with mass immigration. There is no sign of it slowing down, in fact it's no doubt increasing as immigrants rush to get in before the gate shuts.

You say 'they' wanted this result, meaning I assume the Tory government. Why then did Cameron push for the remain camp, while under funding everything that they knew would upset the voters? Did they believe no matter what they did, they would win for remain?

If the EU had been willing to listen seriously to our concerns on immigration, then I would have voted to remain. The arrogance was just astounding. We were dismissed. I knew then I had to vote to leave, whatever the cost. With continuing mass immigration we were heading for real civil disturbance down the line.

It is going to be difficult, and damaging to our economy. We have to find a way forward outside the EU. They made this so, not us.
More and more I have a suspicion he knew what he was doing. Think about it, you and I as ordinary guys knew the North needed massive investment, we discussed it many times, are you seriously supposing Cameron and co didnt know..

Then there is the fact that Britain has always been Eurosceptic. Why risk such a vote?

Feign ignorance of calamitous domestic policy and you push people towarda a certain outcome. Cameron steps down and Theresa pushes the Singaporean model.

Previously I advised caution, because except for staying in the single market, the fully loaded free market option was the only other outcome. But I couldnt see that certain elements wanted this outcome. I couldnt see it clearly because it would be contrary to the interests of the poor and even the working class. Ultimately some folk wanted this outcome and they pushed us towards it.

Either that or they saw the situation, high immigration low public investment and exploited it very successfully. Piting groups against each other divide and rule, all the while pulling the strings towards this outcome that was largely favorable only to themselves..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,455,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
More and more I have a suspicion he knew what he was doing. Think about it, you and I as ordinary guys knew the North needed massive investment, we discussed it many times, are you seriously supposing Cameron and co didnt know..

Then there is the fact that Britain has always been Eurosceptic. Why risk such a vote?

Feign ignorance of calamitous domestic policy and you push people towarda a certain outcome. Cameron steps down and Theresa pushes the Singaporean model.

Previously I advised caution, because except for staying in the single market, the fully loaded free market option was the only other outcome. But I couldnt see that certain elements wanted this outcome. I couldnt see it clearly because it would be contrary to the interests of the poor and even the working class. Ultimately some folk wanted this outcome and they pushed us towards it.

Either that or they saw the situation, high immigration low public investment and exploited it very successfully. Piting groups against each other divide and rule, all the while pulling the strings towards this outcome that was largely favorable only to themselves..
I am suspicious of Theresa May, and her sudden conversion after the vote. Suddenly, she's the gal to lead us to the promised land. You are right, the Tories have an agenda, and know what they are doing. I still felt we had no choice but to vote to leave. No one in the EU seemed to recognise our difficulty in dealing with this mass immigration. We were told to just go away, and get on with it.

You are a smart guy, and I know you understand what is going on here far better than I do. I watch what's going on in America. Massive internal problems with things like infrastructure, healthcare, proper paying jobs. What do they get from their rulers? 'Look...... look at Russia. They're interfering in our democracy.....making sure their boy Trump gets into power. They have a tape. Disgusting tape of Trump. Keep looking over there, not here.'

We are all being played for suckers. In the end maybe flaming torches and pitchforks will be the only answer. I hope not, or god help us all.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM

861 posts, read 855,000 times
Quote:
I am suspicious of Theresa May, and her sudden conversion after the vote. Suddenly, she's the gal to lead us to the promised land. You are right, the Tories have an agenda, and know what they are doing. I still felt we had no choice but to vote to leave. No one in the EU seemed to recognise our difficulty in dealing with this mass immigration. We were told to just go away, and get on with it.

You are a smart guy, and I know you understand what is going on here far better than I do. I watch what's going on in America. Massive internal problems with things like infrastructure, healthcare, proper paying jobs. What do they get from their rulers? 'Look...... look at Russia. They're interfering in our democracy.....making sure their boy Trump gets into power. They have a tape. Disgusting tape of Trump. Keep looking over there, not here.'

We are all being played for suckers. In the end maybe flaming torches and pitchforks will be the only answer. I hope not, or god help us all.
Thats it, Theresa is obviously being advised by someone.

Ditto Trump, the Russians certainly partly sponsored him. He appoints Rex Tillerson who has existing ties to Russia. Lets take bets on how long it takes Trumpy to remove sanctions. At the same time a lot of his political appointments are Tycoons, how that is meant to help the 'forgotten man' is anyone's guess..

Yes the people were given very limited choices and the bigger players knew that. I am not sure how else the general population could have played this one..

A very interesting game of political misdirection..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,490,503 times
The thing with immigration is that there needs to be a policy for all of Europe. There really needs to be some plan where they have possible off shore detention centres because it is unsustainable the way things are at the moment. There is going to be resentment in many countries (most probably is already) unless they stop the flow of migrants and politicians in Europe will ignore this at their peril.

The UK has always had lots of migrants and they also let in a lot of people from Commonwealth countries. A lot of the Muslim and African immigration in the UK has nothing to do with the EU. I think people are looking for a scapegoat so they blamed the EU.

There is no way it makes sense to me how a country can exit a giant trading block like the EU and think it is going to make things better. Britain is in Europe so they need to trade with Europe.

Anyway I hope things work out but I'm sure Britain's politicians know it is a giant headache.

A bit OT but Australia was very annoyed at Britain when they joined the EEC and felt they had no loyalty as Australia at the time had a lot of trade with Britain.

"Few events in the last half-century have recast Australia’s international circumstances and outlook quite like Britain’s economic integration with Europe. This reorientation of British commercial policy left its mark on most of the big issues of Australian external policy, from the role of the US alliance to engagement with Asia. And it can still find a place in the historiography of Australian national identity. Not surprisingly, former Prime Minister Paul Keating in full cry during the republican debate could not resist a swipe at the country that ‘walked out on us and joined the Common Market’ (quoted in Ward 2001: 1). For this particular strain of Australian nationalism, only the fall of Singapore ranks as a more jarring dose of Perfidious Albion."

https://openresearch-repository.anu..../3/kunkel1.pdf

"British consumers noticed this change in the mid-70s when Australian butter was replaced by Danish Lurpak spreads on the shelves of their supermarkets. The effects on Australian farmers were far more painful. After Britain had joined the EEC Australian butter exports dropped by more than 90 per cent; the Australian apple trade declined from 86,000 tonnes in 1975 to just 27,000 tonnes in 1990. The economic consequences of Britain's European ambitions for Australia were severe.

The psychological effects were even more difficult. In their brilliant book, The Unknown Nation -- Australia after Empire, historians James Curran and Stuart Ward recall how shocking it was for British Australians in the early 70s to find themselves traded in by the motherland for Britain's entry ticket to the EEC. At that time "abandonment", "betrayal", and "edged firmly from the imperial nest" were typical expressions of Australian sentiment about the decision of the British government."

Nocookies | The Australian

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,294,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Thats it, Theresa is obviously being advised by someone.

Ditto Trump, the Russians certainly partly sponsored him. He appoints Rex Tillerson who has existing ties to Russia. Lets take bets on how long it takes Trumpy to remove sanctions. At the same time a lot of his political appointments are Tycoons, how that is meant to help the 'forgotten man' is anyone's guess..

Yes the people were given very limited choices and the bigger players knew that. I am not sure how else the general population could have played this one..

A very interesting game of political misdirection..
Actually it isn't that complex as far as the US election is concerned. In general all but hardcover neo-libs didn't vote for Clinton. Liberals were torn given the revelations about Clinton/Sanders and the DNC role in kneecapping Sanders while assisting Clinton. Conservatives weren't going to vote Clinton. The rest had to make a choice of the same policies as have existed since the turn of the Millennium (more or less) or roll the dice on someone out in left field.

The issue that everyone seems to miss is that in truth Trump didn't really win, so much as Clinton lost. I think this is actually borne out in the media missing the mark as badly as it did, and the Democrats and their toadies spending a quarter trying to point the finger at the Russians, fake news, ignorance, etc. rather than self examination of the loss.

The exact same sentiment is what created the Brexit referendum result. Staying with the EU retained the status quo, Brexit alters the status quo for better or worse, but if the status quo isn't working for you, would an unknown "for worse" be worse than the known "for worse" of staying. I'll also add that even now there's the same complaints from remainers as are coming from the Democrats and their toadies.

Now in both Brexit and US presidential elections people need to not look at what the other side did right, but on what they did wrong. Clinton could have run her campaign with policies that could have swayed the middle ground more towards her (or more realistically a better, less tarnished candidate). Remain campaigners should have used positives of being in Europe and policies for adjusting some of the issues that many Brexiters had concerns with.

What needs to happen is to address the concerns of the people who voted against the status quo, and not level recriminations at them because they risked their best interests to change the establishment. It takes a lot of bravery, or desperation to take that risk.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually it isn't that complex as far as the US election is concerned. In general all but hardcover neo-libs didn't vote for Clinton. Liberals were torn given the revelations about Clinton/Sanders and the DNC role in kneecapping Sanders while assisting Clinton. Conservatives weren't going to vote Clinton. The rest had to make a choice of the same policies as have existed since the turn of the Millennium (more or less) or roll the dice on someone out in left field.

The issue that everyone seems to miss is that in truth Trump didn't really win, so much as Clinton lost. I think this is actually borne out in the media missing the mark as badly as it did, and the Democrats and their toadies spending a quarter trying to point the finger at the Russians, fake news, ignorance, etc. rather than self examination of the loss.

The exact same sentiment is what created the Brexit referendum result. Staying with the EU retained the status quo, Brexit alters the status quo for better or worse, but if the status quo isn't working for you, would an unknown "for worse" be worse than the known "for worse" of staying. I'll also add that even now there's the same complaints from remainers as are coming from the Democrats and their toadies.

Now in both Brexit and US presidential elections people need to not look at what the other side did right, but on what they did wrong. Clinton could have run her campaign with policies that could have swayed the middle ground more towards her (or more realistically a better, less tarnished candidate). Remain campaigners should have used positives of being in Europe and policies for adjusting some of the issues that many Brexiters had concerns with.

What needs to happen is to address the concerns of the people who voted against the status quo, and not level recriminations at them because they risked their best interests to change the establishment. It takes a lot of bravery, or desperation to take that risk.
Yes..... you are right. Ordinary folks both here, and in America have taken a leap in the dark. I voted out in the EU vote, even though my interests were for remain. The status quo is best for me at this time of my life. I decided I had to think of the young people, and their future. I have no doubt damaged my financial interests with voting out.

In America, a similar large group decided their concerns weren't being addressed. They have voted in a billionaire businessman, with no political experience. They are looking to him to somehow help their futures be brighter. Time will tell on that one.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:58 AM

4,099 posts, read 3,750,502 times
The Singapore model isn't that bad they have amazing education and cheap foreign labour...let's give the lazy chavs the option to do the jobs they claim everyone's taking from them, once they've had enough we can decide to bring in the foreign unskilled labour (without chavy protests) that we want and not whatever slips through the porous EU borders.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The Singapore model isn't that bad they have amazing education and cheap foreign labour...let's give the lazy chavs the option to do the jobs they claim everyone's taking from them, once they've had enough we can decide to bring in the foreign unskilled labour (without chavy protests) that we want and not whatever slips through the porous EU borders.
When is enough cheap foreign unskilled labour enough for you? You think we need more?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 AM

4,099 posts, read 3,750,502 times
Quote:
When is enough cheap foreign unskilled labour enough for you? You think we need more?
At the moment we don't but who knows 10 years down the line. What my point is that at least we'll have the power to make that decision ourselves and the lazy chavs can't use migrants as scapegoats for their irresponsible lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom