Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Many of those tut tutting at Donald Trump are disgusting individuals. They don't even have the brains to keep their mouths shut.
Maybe you're the one with the disgusting attitude of not accepting other people's point of view. Both the UK and US are 21st century democracies where anyone has the right to discuss politics. Sadly, there are still people who can't grasp this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Maybe you're the one with the disgusting attitude of not accepting other people's point of view. Both the UK and US are 21st century democracies where anyone has the right to discuss politics. Sadly, there are still people who can't grasp this.
I should have been clearer. I was talking about British politicians being disgusting individuals, not members of the public discussing Donald Trump.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:10 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,969 times
Yes, democracy is a funny thing, depending on who you talk too and where your political allegiances lie.

People talk about freedom of speech and respective democracy, but only if their side win the debate, otherwise censorship, bans and restrictions are the order of the day.

Last edited by Just Zola; 02-21-2017 at 03:36 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 03:31 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Yes, democracy is a funny thing, depending on who you talk too and where your political allegiances lie.

People talk about freedom of speech and respective democracy, but only of their side win the debate, otherwise censorship, bans and restrictions are the order of the day.
well thats true.. and people also refuse to bend and admit when the ones they support are in the wrong..

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Eight Controversial UK State Visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky News

Eight controversial state visits to the UK - Sky News

1. Chinese President Xi Jinping - 20-23 October 2015

There were clashes between human rights protesters and Chinese supporters during demonstrations ahead of Mr Xi's procession to Buckingham Palace with his wife Peng Liyuan. Police were forced to intervene and an 81-year-old Free Tibet protester was threatened with arrest after failing to move when officers asked her to. Mr Xi met Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, though they chose not to attend the state banquet. The Prince has been critical of China's conduct in the past. Issues including cheap Chinese steel flooding the European market and crippling the UK steel industry and the security implications of allowing Chinese investment in nuclear power also plagued the state visit.

2. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia - 30 October - 1 November 2007

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah's state visit to the UK also attracted protests and political controversy in Britain.

Demonstrators lined The Mall and called for the reopening of a corruption inquiry into a multi-billion dollar arms deal and shouted "shame on you" during a royal procession, while the Liberal Democrats boycotted official events over human rights. Protests by activists over the treatment of women and the gay community were also staged outside the Saudi embassy. The king sparked controversy even before he arrived in the UK, accusing British authorities of failing to act on Saudi intelligence which he claimed could have prevented the 2005 London bombings.

3. Chinese President Hu Jintao - 8-10 November, 2005

Pro-democracy activists greeted Mr Hu during his state visit with demonstrations over the one-party state's treatment of political dissidents and its occupation of Tibet. However, pro-Chinese government demonstrators also turned out wherever he went to voice their support for Mr Hu's leadership. Then Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy raised human rights issues with the Chinese leader when the pair met. Prince Charles did not attend the state banquet.

4. US President George W Bush - 18-21 November, 2003

Protests also marred George W Bush's state visit as tens of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets to protest against the war in Iraq - during which an effigy of Mr Bush was toppled in Trafalgar Square, echoing scenes of the fall of Baghdad more than six months earlier when a large statue of Saddam Hussein was brought down in Firdos Square. One protester was arrested for attempting to throw an egg at the presidential cavalcade. Up to £5m was reportedly spent on beefing up security for the four-day visit, which included calls for both Mr Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair to resign over the Iraq conflict.

5.Russian President Vladimir Putin - 24-27 June, 2003

Mr Putin also enjoyed the pomp and circumstance that comes with state visits. But his trip - the first by a Russian leader since Tsar Nicholas I in 1843 - also featured demonstrations by human rights activists protesting against Russia's involvement in Chechnya and its treatment of other minorities. The visit also included a trip to the Scottish capital, Edinburgh, during which a protester was arrested after he threw himself in front of the president's motorcade along the Royal Mile. International concern over Mr Putin's support for Iran's nuclear programme also cast a shadow over the visit.

6. Japan's Emperor Akihito - 26-29 May, 1998

Emperor Akihito was greeted with hostility from former British prisoners of war, who symbolically turned their backs on him, while others jeered, as he and the Queen passed by on The Mall in a horse-drawn carriage during a royal procession. Addressing the state banquet later, the emperor spoke of his "deep sorrow and pain" over the suffering inflicted by his country during the Second World War, but he stopped short of apologising for the treatment of prisoners in work camps. A small group of PoWs also held a candlelit vigil outside the Japanese embassy to remember those who died. The emperor was also met with protests at Westminster Abbey and in the Welsh capital, Cardiff.

7. Romania's Nicolae Ceausescu - 13-16 June, 1978

It was the first state visit by a Communist head of state to the UK and Romania was already well-known as one of the most corrupt and oppressive of the Soviet Union's Cold War satellite states. At the time, the Queen took drastic steps to avoid meeting the dictator, according to royal author Robert Hardman. "While walking her dogs in the Palace gardens, she spotted Ceausescu and his wife Elena heading in her direction. As the Queen told a lunch guest some years later, she decided the best course of action was to hide behind a bush rather than conduct polite conversation," he wrote. The Romanian leader was honoured by the government during his visit in an attempt to improve relations within Europe during the Cold War. However, his knighthood was revoked shortly after he was deposed in 1989.

8. Japan's Emperor Hirohito - 5-8 October, 1971

Just like his son decades later, Emperor Hirohito, Japan's wartime head of state, was greeted by angry veterans and former British prisoners of war, who protested by standing in silence as he and Queen passed by them in an open horse-drawn carriage during his state visit to the UK. Thousands of protesters lined the route to Buckingham Palace. Some turned their back on the emperor and wore red gloves to symbolise those who had died in the camp, while others whistled the popular Second World War march, Colonel Bogey. "We cannot pretend that the past did not exist," said the Queen at a state banquet that evening. "We cannot pretend that the relations between our two peoples have always been peaceful and friendly. However, it is precisely this experience which should make us all the more determined never to let it happen again," she added. The emperor in his reply looked ahead to "joint efforts with you for the preservation of tranquility in the world and the promotion of the welfare of mankind".

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-21-2017 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Very true.. and should clean up their own act instead of attacking the whipping boy.... even in his own country the mocking is taking the country down I feel.. so Trump is brash, in your face full of self importance, bragging, but thats how I thought the US liked things...oh no Im in trouble, big trouble.... hahaha but seriously think about the Presidents who were idolised, but had murky backgrounds.. this man is a saint next to some.. and they know it....
You are right!
I've been around long to remember the time when men did not hide this side of themselves. And yet, those same men were effective and respected lawyers, judges, cops, CEO's, bankers, etc., and the world was doing pretty well in spite of their failings. I have been on the receiving end of some crude comments (when I was young hot chick ) as I was often the only female manager amongst men. This was early career both in the UK and US. I must say, the Americans were more overt. The Brit guys got a kick out of the reaction their comments elicited. I find it hard to believe there are currently no other men in positions of power or politics who do not speak this way or behave as Trump has been accused. I think many are much worse than he has been and are spineless hypocrites. But, I digress.

The mocking here in the US is like nothing I've seen before, I find it repulsive and reprehensible. I moved here in the mid 70's and have never seen a president treated with such disrespect. Ones who didn't vote for him are pouring vitriol every moment of the day. It's all over the media, FB, etc., you can't get away from it. They refuse to accept that he won and continue to pick at everything he says and does. If Obama has gone through this, I think he'd have walked away by now. Nobody should have to deal with this while trying to transition the government and keep us safe. Obama made many errors, and often flew under the radar. His only "political" experience was organizing community groups in Chicago. He had no military experience, never led a company as CEO, he wasn't even a mayor. Yet many thought the sun shone out of his butt. While you couldn't help but like the guy, I feel he never wanted to make waves, he wanted to be popular and liked/loved by everyone and thus he stood for nothing. HE could have fixed the issues in Chicago - it was his home turf, who would know it better? But the murder rate continued to increase. Innocent children died, it was heartbreaking to see. Yet the media and the howling banshees who are protesting now, let him slide by, either out of ignorance or white guilt, or for other unknown reasons.

I have to say that there was a time when I didn't like Trump as I heard about his fighting, and perhaps bombastic behavior towards some people in Scotland who lived on land adjacent to the golf course he built there. I hate to see people throwing their weight around, and yes, he's a brash New Yorker, most Americans are NOT brash, it's a misnomer I have always respected his achievements, and he is doing what he promised, and quicker than ANY politician I have ever seen either side of the Atlantic. I now respect his courage and tenacity in the face of all the vitriol being spewed at him. And, this is in spite of the sabotage that is going on the White House and some areas of government from the holdovers from the previous administration. Hilary is known for getting even, If folks think she went away, they are sadly mistaken. She is like the puppet master manipulating folks behind the scenes.

On the bright side...our economy is doing great! The stock market is soaring! My accounts are gaining $$ like never before - thank you President Trump for giving me back the $$ I lost under Obama

Old 02-24-2017, 10:19 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Very true.. and should clean up their own act instead of attacking the whipping boy.... even in his own country the mocking is taking the country down I feel.. so Trump is brash, in your face full of self importance, bragging, but thats how I thought the US liked things...oh no Im in trouble, big trouble.... hahaha but seriously think about the Presidents who were idolised, but had murky backgrounds.. this man is a saint next to some.. and they know it....
No...TRUMP is taking the country down. What a hypocrite he is! Promises and lies. They he goes ahead and appoints multi millionaire advisers whose only qualification is that they donated money to his campaign. His brash manner is obnoxious, his ego is repulsive--yes, D, you are in BIG trouble, lol. Half the people here can't stand the sight of him or the sound of his stupid voice.

Also, the man who is behind him telling him what to do is a White Supremicist, former editor of an extreme right wing newspaper. A weirdo rag. And this man, whose name is Bannon is just like Trump only with brains. That's why he's dangerous. Lie to the poor and give to the rich. That sort of reminds me of Robin Hood, but somehow there's a basic difference.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,980,501 times
Watched 10 minutes of the parliamentary debate on Trump's state visit. I had to turn it off, couldn't hack all the left wing nonsense.

The Left get too much of a platform in this country these days! Time for an alternative perspective.

Last edited by GymFanatic; 02-25-2017 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No...TRUMP is taking the country down. What a hypocrite he is! Promises and lies. They he goes ahead and appoints multi millionaire advisers whose only qualification is that they donated money to his campaign. Half the people here can't stand the sight of him or the sound of his stupid voice.

Also, the man who is behind him telling him what to do is a White Supremicist, former editor of an extreme right wing newspaper. A weirdo rag. And this man, whose name is Bannon is just like Trump only with brains. That's why he's dangerous. Lie to the poor and give to the rich.
The way you described Trump sounds more like Hillary.

I can tell you get your news from CNN, ABC, NY Times,WashPo. Fake news! All discredited especially now by Trump with the latest wiretapping and Russia story making them look foolish, revealing their hidden agenda to the few who still believed they were politically neutral rags. They are controlled by the Dems as was revealed in emails released by Wikileaks. Perhaps you never knew that since lamestream media censors the news.

Start reading Breitbart -- Bannon is a nationalist, not a white supremacist like Hillary's mentor, the late Sen. Byrd -- and you will be surprised at what real investigative reporting is. Many of their reporters left the 'legacy' newspapers in disgust at the bias. DailyCaller and OAN are two other good news websites. ZeroHedge is more focused on financial shenanigans, recently exposing the groups funding the so called spontaneous Trump protesters.

If you are open minded enough to do that, I predict you will react the way that I, a long time Democrat did -- get very angry at how you have been manipulated and lied to all these years by globalists who want to control you. More and more people are waking up fortunately, both here and in the UK and the EU because we want our countries back! Think for yourself!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:55 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times
Breitbart really? Breitbart was described by Steve Bannon as the "Platform for the alt-right" aka the white supremacist movement.

It's news editor, Milos Yianopoulos who recently lost his book deal and then resigned from Breitbart, did so because in an interview he defended pedophilia & pedophiles. Yianopoulos described Breitbart stories as "satire".

In the last couple of months 935 companies have stopped advertising in Brietbart, these include giant corporations like Kellogs, BMW, Visa, T-Mobile, Nordstrom and Lufthansa. Why are these companies withdrawing their ads from Breitbart? It's because the Breitbart brand is now extremely toxic.

A good example of why Breitbart is toxic, is the story they ran about Obama wire tapping Donald Trump. Everybody in the intelligence community and the FBI is calling the story a lie, except Trump who read the story in Breitbart of course.

Incidentally Breitbart's source for that story was Mark Levin, a radio host and proven liar. In fact Levin was fired from WSPD radio for telling lies about Ron Paul.

You don't have to be open minded to consider using sources like Breitbart, just do your homework first. Because Breitbart is the proven standard bearer for fake news. Just ask the companies who have removed their ads from the rag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom