Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:49 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Yet despite all his alleged failings the good people of London re-elected him.
Have you ever lived in London or do you just parrot the usual anti-Boris guff ?
The EU dread Boris as PM because they fear him.
That'll do for me.
I doubt if the EU give a fig about Boris and ever less about UK. AS for your question, yes I have lived a considerable period in London. Including days when GLC was indeed very anti establishment.
Boris is establishment and for no one but his own ego manic self aggrandisement.
Even after the lies he told (man's a perpetual liar) around the Brexit savings the gullible still want to believe he has something to offer.
As I said he was elected on a 38% turn out. hardly democratic, while I know some that were indeed taken by his buffoonery in early years, don't know many that thought him much chop by the end of his term.
Do you live in London and sprout the usual Daily Express guff as some evidence of some salvation for a country badly in need of something positive after the fiasco that has divided the nation, but hey if the financial industry decamps to greener pastures in EU, returning London to more akin to its former self, I could even climb aboard for a return to the seventies/eighties when Londoners were of a totally different deposition.
Can't wait the see the mess Johnson will make of the exit procedure, if it comes about though. It'll be amusing to watch from abroad.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,189 posts, read 13,477,157 times
I suspect the rght of the Conservative Party will now throw their weight behind Boris and I suspect the more moderate wing of the party to go with Jeremy Hunt.

I predict the final two to be Johnson and Hunt, and I predict the grassroots will pick Johnson as a Brexiteer rather than more moderate Hunt.

Gove, Raab and Javid offer nothing that Boris doesn't offer and aren't big personalities that can take on Farage and others.

Matt Hancock is now thinking of stepping down from the contest and Rory Stewart, with 19 backers is going to find it hard to make the 33 on Tuesday, indeed the one nation Tory Wets that voted for Stewart will most likely switch to Hunt.

Not that I get a say, indeed I will be glad when the whole thing is over and we know who is in place.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:24 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,513,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I doubt if the EU give a fig about Boris and ever less about UK. AS for your question, yes I have lived a considerable period in London. Including days when GLC was indeed very anti establishment.
Boris is establishment and for no one but his own ego manic self aggrandisement.
Even after the lies he told (man's a perpetual liar) around the Brexit savings the gullible still want to believe he has something to offer.
As I said he was elected on a 38% turn out. hardly democratic, while I know some that were indeed taken by his buffoonery in early years, don't know many that thought him much chop by the end of his term.
Do you live in London and sprout the usual Daily Express guff as some evidence of some salvation for a country badly in need of something positive after the fiasco that has divided the nation, but hey if the financial industry decamps to greener pastures in EU, returning London to more akin to its former self, I could even climb aboard for a return to the seventies/eighties when Londoners were of a totally different deposition.
Can't wait the see the mess Johnson will make of the exit procedure, if it comes about though. It'll be amusing to watch from abroad.
If the EU doesn't give a fig about the UK why is it doing everything in its power to prevent it leaving the organisation ?
Probably the 13% of its budget the Uk currently pays - the third largest of any EU country after Germany and France.
I think you perhaps ought to consider seeing a doctor - you have a very severe case of Brexit Derangement Syndrome.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I suspect the rght of the Conservative Party will now throw their weight behind Boris and I suspect the more moderate wing of the party to go with Jeremy Hunt.

I predict the final two to be Johnson and Hunt, and I predict the grassroots will pick Johnson as a Brexiteer rather than more moderate Hunt.

Gove, Raab and Javid offer nothing that Boris doesn't offer and aren't big personalities that can take on Farage and others.

Matt Hancock is now thinking of stepping down from the contest and Rory Stewart, with 19 backers is going to find it hard to make the 33 on Tuesday, indeed the one nation Tory Wets that voted for Stewart will most likely switch to Hunt.

Not that I get a say, indeed I will be glad when the whole thing is over and we know who is in place.
This entire leadership contest was caused by Nigel Farage,cementing his position as the most influential politician of recent times.
Without Nigel there would have been no referendum or Brexit.
Without his Brexit Party's stunning success in the EU elections May would still be clinging on to power like a limpet.
Boris will walk the contest because he of all the candidates knows that without delivering Brexit,deal or no deal,the Tory party is doomed.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
This entire leadership contest was caused by Nigel Farage,cementing his position as the most influential politician of recent times.
Without Nigel there would have been no referendum or Brexit.
Without his Brexit Party's stunning success in the EU elections May would still be clinging on to power like a limpet.
Boris will walk the contest because he of all the candidates knows that without delivering Brexit,deal or no deal,the Tory party is doomed.
The leadership contest was caused by a failure to deliver Brexit by both Theresa May's Government and Parliament. Nigel Farage has nothing to do with he British Parliament and the failure to deliver Brexit, and UKIP made only tiny inroads in to mainstream politics, whilst the Brexit party is still in it's infancy.

In terms of my post, I stated that I thought Boris would win the grassroots support, however there are two sides of the Tory Party, the Tory Right or Dry's who are Brexiteers, and the more moderate centre right Tory Wets or one nation Tories, the former will no doubt back Johnson, the latter will most likely put their weight behind Hunt, which is why I believe the final two wil be Johnson and Hunt.

Johnson is already through to the final round, and the only real credible alternative in relation to the more moderate wing of the party is Hunt, which is why I suspect Hunt will be the other candidate. I suspect Hancock will now stand down, Stewart will be gone on Tuesday, and that Stewart and his supporters will then throw their weight behind Hunt.

Gove, Javid and Raab are all Brexiteers and don't offer any real alternative to Boris, and are just pale imitations of Boris, whilst the Tory Right want a big political figure to take on Farage, and Johnson very much fits the bill.

In terms of Hunt, the Right are not potraying him as just Theresa May in trousers, and the grassroot tories seem to be very Pro-Brexit giving Boris Johnson a massive advantage in any future grassroots vote.

Thst is my personal prediction, although Tory leadership battles are not always predictable.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-14-2019 at 04:48 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
The leadership contest was caused by a failure to deliver Brexit by both Theresa May's Government and Parliament. Nigel Farage has nothing to do with he British Parliament and the failure to deliver Brexit, and UKIP made only tiny inroads in to mainstream politics, whilst the Brexit party is still in it's infancy.
You're deluded.
And forgetful.
Cameron called the referendum directly because of UKIP's rise.
And the Tories hastened the departure of May and will elect a hardline Brexiteer as leader directly as a result of the Brexit Party's rise.
Farage is the kingmaker.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
You're deluded.
And forgetful.
Cameron called the referendum directly because of UKIP's rise.
And the Tories hastened the departure of May and will elect a hardline Brexiteer as leader directly as a result of the Brexit Party's rise.
Farage is the kingmaker.
UKIP's rise.

UKIP only ever had a couple of MP' and they were defectors from other parties.

UKIP and Farage never won a seat in Parliament.

As for a referendum, it had been promised numerous times before, including in the early 80's when Labour wanted to leave, and later Tony Blair would twice promise a referendum before going back on his word

The pressure on Cameron to hold a referedum was from his own party and not UKIP, who were never a big mainstream political party.

Cameron decided to offer a referendum, just as Blair had, the difference is Cameron actually kept his promise.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,419 times
Quote:
If the EU doesn't give a fig about the UK why is it doing everything in its power to prevent it leaving the organisation ?
It isn't. The UK government has asked for extensions to the process, not the EU. The EU is doing nothing to prevent the UK leaving, it has said all along that if it wants to leave then that is that.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
UKIP's rise.

UKIP only ever had a couple of MP' and they were defectors from other parties.

UKIP and Farage never won a seat in Parliament.

As for a referendum, it had been promised numerous times before, including in the early 80's when Labour wanted to leave, and later Tony Blair would twice promise a referendum before going back on his word

The pressure on Cameron to hold a referedum was from his own party and not UKIP, who were never a big mainstream political party.

Cameron decided to offer a referendum, just as Blair had, the difference is Cameron actually kept his promise.
Cobblers.
You can take your pick of any news site but here's the FT's take on the referendum.

" The offer of a referendum in 2013 was intended to stop Conservative voters defecting to the anti-EU UK Independence party "

http://www.ft.com/content/4f8634c6-3...5-82a9b15a8ee7

And it's Groundhog Day all over again in 2019.
Farage and the meteoric rise of the BXP have got both the Tories and Labour running scared.
Why else do you think Boris,who was written off as a no-hoper only a few months ago,is storming ahead in the leadership contest ?
Why do you think the latest attempt to prevent Brexit in the Commons failed this week ? Because the number of Labour and Tory MPs in marginal and even reasonably safe seats fear being overwhelmed by the Farage tsunami.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
It isn't. The UK government has asked for extensions to the process, not the EU. The EU is doing nothing to prevent the UK leaving, it has said all along that if it wants to leave then that is that.
You've obviously never run a business pal.
Especially if you think the EU is blasé about losing 13% of its budget overnight.And it ain't gonna be Ireland and the host of other minor EU countries who are going to have to make up the shortfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom