Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 12:42 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
" You folks."
Yup,American.
It figures.
Shucks I can do the Texas drawl, even chew gum at the same time, and Yup not even Merican. Let alone from The Lone Star State. I guess youse folks wouldn't be none the wiser..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yeah........ playing with his proximity fuse, and plotting how he was going to stitch up the British after the war.

Don't get John-UK onto the war for Gawds sake. He is an expert, and I mean that genuinely...... he is.
Not exactly. Plotting the liberation of France as head of government in exile.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ah, some people love democracy until of course it goes against their interests.

Do not like the vote? hey, keep voting again and again until you get the result you want, lol.

I bet if the vote was to "remain", you all would not be advocating for a second vote...
Even the most stringent supporter of Brexit if honest, should arrive at the conclusion that the outcome of that vote was not what was voted for. It was made sound so easy, usually the case when an argument is built on falsehoods and lies.
As such only fair to take it back to the people again.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
He was lucky we took him in, instead of leaving the long streak of p*** to the mercy of the Germans. He never did like us, and did his best to keep us out of the Common Market. I sure wish he had succeeded......

Old 08-29-2019, 03:13 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
. . . when an argument is built on falsehoods and lies. . .
It’s a prime minister’s job to lie. Political power and truth are fundamentally incompatible.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ah, some people love democracy until of course it goes against their interests.

Do not like the vote? hey, keep voting again and again until you get the result you want, lol.

I bet if the vote was to "remain", you all would not be advocating for a second vote...
The UK has a Parliamentary system. That mean we have Parliament to debate and pass laws on our behalf as they think fit. Referenda is not a part of that process and should never be. That is why referenda is advisory. That is, it can ignored.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
A French lady friend whatsapped me from Paris a few days ago:
"Here they tend to forget a little bit what USA and Britain did for France in 2nd world war. No thanks from the French. Nothing. Sometimes I Feel like telling them, without the British and Americans you would have been German or dead."

Old 08-29-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I was just puzzled because I remember my parents being furious that DeGaulle never thanked the UK or US, took pot shots at both of us, and then for good measure they said that he spent the war in London. They hated his guts.
DeGaulle, was put in charge of the Free French by Churchill. Churchill disliked the arrogant man but being a statesman realised only he could unite the French. The Free French had a one million strong army in May 1945. Having the French on our side was vital. The Americans never recognised him as the head of France. Their relations with DeGaulle were strained. The Germans started to hit back at US lines.
Eisenhower studied the map and told Devers that, if necessary, he could pull out of the Vosges for a while and even abandon the city of Strasbourg — which the French First Army had recently taken — to the enemy. This suggestion, if implemented, meant handing back some recently liberated French civilians to the Germans, who tended to take a harsh revenge on any of their former subjects who had recently been cheering on the Allies. Eisenhower’s order to Devers therefore provoked a serious breach with de Gaulle, who ordered the French First Army to disobey any such order — to which Eisenhower replied that until the French Army obeyed his orders they would not receive a mouthful of food, a gallon of fuel or a round of ammunition — hardly a happy situation for the Allies at this time. This dispute was only resolved when de Gaulle gave way: but the French Army was directed to hang on to Strasbourg.
- Neillands, Robin. The Battle for the Rhine 1944
DeGaulle did live in London, where else could he live organising the Free French?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
DeGaulle, was put in charge of the Free French by Churchill. Churchill disliked the arrogant man but being a statesman realised only he could unite the French. The Free French had a one million strong army in May 1945. Having the French on our side was vital. The Americans never recognised him as the head of France. Their relations with DeGaulle were strained. The Germans started to hit back at US lines.
Eisenhower studied the map and told Devers that, if necessary, he could pull out of the Vosges for a while and even abandon the city of Strasbourg — which the French First Army had recently taken — to the enemy. This suggestion, if implemented, meant handing back some recently liberated French civilians to the Germans, who tended to take a harsh revenge on any of their former subjects who had recently been cheering on the Allies. Eisenhower’s order to Devers therefore provoked a serious breach with de Gaulle, who ordered the French First Army to disobey any such order — to which Eisenhower replied that until the French Army obeyed his orders they would not receive a mouthful of food, a gallon of fuel or a round of ammunition — hardly a happy situation for the Allies at this time. This dispute was only resolved when de Gaulle gave way: but the French Army was directed to hang on to Strasbourg.
- Neillands, Robin. The Battle for the Rhine 1944
DeGaulle did live in London, where else could he live organising the Free French?
I remember him well, seeing him on TV taking shots at every man, woman, and child in the UK and US. He was an arrogant piece of dung. Then while he was demonstrating his arrogance, my parents would start up about him being a chicken, hiding out in London. He kept both countries tied together like the war was still on. That could have been dialed back, except he demanded that he be addressed as general at all times. The real generals were in the field.

I remember hearing about the Vichy government. I thought that there was someone else in charge of it.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:33 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
. . . Referenda is not a part of that process and should never be. That is why referenda is advisory. That is, it can ignored.
Precisely. Voting is the opiate of the people. Meant to keep them compliant and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom