Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 AM

391 posts, read 196,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of the UK the AA Guide, Hardens and the Good Food Guide are all far more comprehensive and less biased than Michelin.

There is also on-line reviews from the general public, which often give a far more insightful view than many guides.

I don't bother with the Michelin guide and most of the criticism of it, including that made by the late A.A Gill was long before Brexit or even talk of a referedum.

If you want good food, other than French Fine Dining or Japanese food, then Michelin is not that useful.

Akari, a three starred Japanese Michelin Restaurants in London lost it's stars after the famous Japanese Chef Mitsuhiro Araki left the restaurant, whilst in terms of the other five michelin starred restaurants all are French with the exception of 'The Fat Duck', which is more of a modern culinary innovation type restaurant.

If you want over priced, fussy French Fine Dining or overly obsessive Japanese sushi, then Michelin is for you, however if you just want to pop out for a nice Italian meam, a curry, a chinese, thai etc or even a decent Sunday Roast lunch then I wouldn't bother even looking at Michelin.
Unfortunately for you, the world doesn't revolve around the UK, and we need something with an international perspective. The AA guide doesn't cover Alabama......

Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,517,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
Unfortunately for you, the world doesn't revolve around the UK, and we need something with an international perspective. The AA guide doesn't cover Alabama......

That's because no-one here is interested in a guide to places that serve B-B-Q road-kill cooked by gap-toothed inbreds to the sound of dueling banjos.

( It's a joke ... )

Old 10-30-2019, 09:31 AM

391 posts, read 196,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That's because no-one here is interested in a guide to places that serve B-B-Q road-kill cooked by gap-toothed inbreds to the sound of dueling banjos.

( It's a joke ... )
Some might call it a needlessly unpleasant knuckle draggers joke....just sayin....

Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
Quote:
Indeed.
The idea that the Michelin Guide is somehow the Bible of " fine " dining is another example of our American friends view of the " dynamics " of eating out.
Another of my observations about the difference in the two countries is our tradition of inns or pub grub as it's now known.
And even in the most basic of these food is served on proper plates with proper knives and forks.
Pubs are something we don't have because when pubs originated, this country didn't even exist, the earliest settlers were opposed to drinking anyway, so, yes, that's actually a difference.

The northeastern US was settled much earlier than the rest so we do have inns and taverns. I like the Griswold Inn in Essex CT--it's been there for 242 years. The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Mass--1773, The Publick House in Sturbridge, Mass--1771, The Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Mass--1716, The White Horse Tavern, in Newport, Rhode Island--1674.

All of the above use only the very finest plastic utensils and paper plates.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Some might call it a needlessly unpleasant knuckle draggers joke....just sayin....

But a joke nevertheless ...

Old 10-30-2019, 10:06 AM

27,223 posts, read 13,514,577 times
Quote:
Actually the AAA (American Automobile Association) offers travel guides,as well as hotel and restaurant rating and there are numerous national and local guides in the US.

Most countries have their own guides and rating systems for hotes and restaurants.

Restaurant rating - Wikipedia

Zagat: National Restaurant Reviews | Best Restaurants in America

Gayot - The Guide to the Good Life: Restaurants, Wine, Travel

Forbes Travel Guide Star Rated Hotels, Restaurants & Spas

Ratings and Reviews - FAQs - OpenTable

Old 10-30-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Actually the AAA (American Automobile Association) offers travel guides,as well as hotel and restaurant rating and there are numerous national and local guides in the US.

Most countries have their own guides and rating systems for hotes and restaurants.

Restaurant rating - Wikipedia

Zagat: National Restaurant Reviews | Best Restaurants in America

Gayot - The Guide to the Good Life: Restaurants, Wine, Travel

Forbes Travel Guide Star Rated Hotels, Restaurants & Spas

Ratings and Reviews - FAQs - OpenTable

In a strange town I normally head to a bar first for a drink.The more neighbourhoood bar the better. Invariably the barstaff are the best judge of a restaurant in town.
That and common sense like how busy the place looks.How many cars are parked outside.

It's why I rarely go into a restaurant that I can't see into.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:39 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
Quote:
In a strange town I normally head to a bar first for a drink.The more neighbourhoood bar the better. Invariably the barstaff are the best judge of a restaurant in town.
That and common sense like how busy the place looks.How many cars are parked outside.

It's why I rarely go into a restaurant that I can't see into.
That's what I do in England except I don't go into bars. I ask people though. I also read Trip Advisor.

In the US, I read Trip Advisor and I look at the menu that's plastered on the door or on the wall outside. If it's BBQ, tater tots, fried mozzarella, those are deal breakers for me, lol.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:46 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,719,908 times
Quote:
Indeed.
The idea that the Michelin Guide is somehow the Bible of " fine " dining is another example of our American friends view of the " dynamics " of eating out.
Another of my observations about the difference in the two countries is our tradition of inns or pub grub as it's now known.
And even in the most basic of these food is served on proper plates with proper knives and forks.
Roscoe, I don't give a rat's patoot about Michelin. I'd rather go to a place that's popular with locals and survey what they're eating, then look at the menu.

I made a couple of trips to the Eifel region of Germany, as well as Luxembourg and Belgium and a tour through a large amount of what had been West Germany. I'll try things. My biggest regret was skipping a pizza joint in Echternach, Luxembourg, but I was traveling with my father, who fought in WWII, and the pizza joint wouldn't have been the place to take him. He was from the generation where the thought was that if he said something that the locals didn't understand, the solution was to raise his volume. Very embarrassing. . .

First off, Florida is an odd mix. Not a place that I've ever had an urge to go. If you enjoyed it, good for you. You would have gotten a better feel for the country in the MidAtlantic.

Chick Fil A is just another fast food joint. I tried it once. That was enough for me. I have no idea what the big deal is. If people like it in the UK, well, good for them. If they don't like it, good for them, too. I'm not a fan of fast food, but it does have a place in life for a lot of people.

You seem to look down on people in the US. Maybe you would have preferred an area with old money. There are places all over the country with old money.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what I do in England except I don't go into bars. I ask people though. I also read Trip Advisor.

In the US, I read Trip Advisor and I look at the menu that's plastered on the door or on the wall outside. If it's BBQ, tater tots, fried mozzarella, those are deal breakers for me, lol.

You have to tell me what these are ...

Grilled shrimp on parmesan-covered Caesar salad are my deal breakers when I'm in the sun.
Like here.
www.sandbardining.com
Many a long lunch over bottles of iced,oaked Chardonnay on the beach.Fantastic place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom