Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2024, 07:56 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
In what way is AWS trolling?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...?term=Trolling

Post 2113 for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 08:38 AM

27,341 posts, read 13,597,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Spot on! And any Sovereign State that does not follow the EU directives is threatened with sanctions or expulsion, the UK itself was threatened by the EU when it announced Brexit, it begs the question - if the EU is not taking away the freedom of the Sovereign States then why threaten any state that wants to leave instead of offering support, partnership and assistance in their divorce?
I am all for a good trading relationship with Europe, as well as improving the ease of travel and I am all for further Trade and Cooperation (TAC) agreements, however being part of political European wide organisation with federal ambitions, was never something that most people ever wanted.

It's also worth noting that there has been a massive backlash against the EU elites and this has been reflected in certain European election results from Sweden to the Netherlands to Italy, whilst the tide is even turning in France and Germany.

Whilst I am all for Britain working more closely with our European neighbours in terms of trade, defence, security, transport connections and other such mutually beneficial collaboration, we can do this without becoming part of a European wide Empire.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-02-2024 at 08:50 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Neither the Brits nor the Europeans collectively could blow out the candles on NATO's birthday cake.

Excerpts from a recent WSJ piece.

Quote:

The 'Brits' as you eloquently put it have (along with the French) a Nuclear Arsenal and that my friend is all they need! You'll find that unlike the US, Russia or China the British military is all about defence and mutual assistance of the defence of Democracy's under attack.

Britain participates in European initiatives such as the European Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO), which is an alternative command structure to NATO, and signed up to PESCO's Military Mobility project in 2022, with a view to becoming a full member of PESCO

In terms of the European members of NATO they collectively spent around $333 billion on defence last year, and this figure is due to exceed over $400 billion in the near future. The collective population of these nations is around 600 million and they have several million personnel serving in their collective military forces, and are technologically advanced nations with goof manufacturing infrastructure.

Contrast this with Russia with a population of 145 million and which usually spends only $70 Billion a year on defence, although this has increased to $109 Billion due to the on-going war in Ukraine, and the move towards a war time style economy.

As for China, estimates regarding it's defence spending widely vary, although to be honest China has nothing to do with Europe, and is the other side of the world, and nobody in Europe is contemplating a war with China, unlike the US.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-02-2024 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 09:21 AM

^^

As for the reduction in Tanks, the decision was based around what is seen to be the significant vulnerability of the tank. As one UK government source said—better to have more ranged weapons (artillery) than tanks which might be too vulnerable to modern firepower. We need more artillery. The jury is out on whether you need main battle tanks,†a Whitehall source said.

Furthermore why would an island nation require a vast fleet of tanks, and the last defence review increased naval resources in order to patrol the GIUK gap, Atlantic sea lanes in order to protect the UK homeland, whilst more resources were also put aside in relation to new battlefield technology as well as cyber and space, along with a new the setting up of Two new Littoral Response Groups and a Global Response Force.

Defence review will forge a growing Navy with expanding horizons - Royal Navy (2021)

The countries with the large fleets of tanks tend to be the ones who are closer to Russia such as Poland or other such eastern European nations.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-02-2024 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 10:52 AM

85 posts, read 42,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The right to veto will be the next right to be removed.

As for the EU Parliament it basically rubber stamps the Commissions rules and regulations, and all initiative comes from the unelected Commission, with the Parliament having no power to introduce it's own initiatives.

The Parliament is therefore very different from national parliaments.

I suggest if some Americans are so eager to support such a system then they sign away their sovereignty and join the EU or create a North American Union, with the Parliament and Courts in Mexico City or Ottawa.

MEPs aim to politicise EU institutions, scrap vetoes in planned treaty overhaul - euractiv (October 2023)
If you had bothered to read your own link you'd have learned that one of the proposed reforms is to give the Parliament the power to introduce legislation. What are you gonna say now?

Old 01-02-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Just to 'set the record straight':-

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/249952...nefits-brexit/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/249952...kemi-badenoch/

The Rt Hon Kemi Badenoch MP is the Secretary of State for the Department for Business and Trade, so when it comes to Kemi Badenoch and somebody with somebody with a username of 'ApprenticeWineSnob' on the subject of Brexit I think I know which of them knows what a username of 'ApprenticeWineSnob' on the subject of Brexit I think I know which of them knows what they're talking about and which of them is simply trolling!
Maybe I could change my username and fix Brexit for the UK? Whaddaya think?

Old 01-02-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Quoting a WSJ article on EU military issues is trolling? Better tell BNW he floods the thread with military stuff.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApprenticeWineSnob View Post
Maybe I could change my username and fix Brexit for the UK? Whaddaya think?
Change name!? I don't think that would work, surely you'd have to replace Kemi as the UK's Secretary of State for the Department for Business and Trade before you can have any influence on how the UK approaches the freedoms of Brexit.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApprenticeWineSnob View Post
Quoting a WSJ article on EU military issues is trolling? Better tell BNW he floods the thread with military stuff.
It is on this thread yes.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:35 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,476,139 times
Nope, I don't see trolling easthome, and I was particularly referring to the post where he set straight how EU laws are passed in a democratic way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom