Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times

Advertisements

One of my friends is from London. The phrase I like the most that she uses is "Bob's your uncle." I did some research to find where the phrase came from. It definitely has English roots and refers to a highly placed English fellow named Bob. He was known to get jobs for his nephews in the government back in the 1880's (if I rememer correctly). I like it.

From time to time I find myself saying "the loo" rather than "the bathroom."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM

358 posts, read 983,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1955 View Post
it works both ways. We had a brit major seconded to us as a battalion xo for a few months. To get his squared away, i delegated a man from my squad who was a young african-american kid from gary indiana, and the gun jeep.

The pfc came back and reported to the rest of us that "the brit major is crazy as a @#$%," and detailed how the major he had him driving around various places on the post looking for batman.

After some investigation we determined he was looking for 'a batman' which the us army did not provide officers.
lmfao! Xd

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 39,179 times
I use Barking, and brilliant with out thinking about it. Guess to much BBC America. Sorry /blush Love the doctor(Dr Who) though

Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
In my 6 months of living in the UK, I never once heard the term "the loo" from a British person. Everyone always used toilet. Maybe it's just fallen out of use in London? The only people I ever heard saying loo were the Aussies I met.

I don't necessarily use a ton of British slang, but rather use a more English pattern of speech. The rhythm, grammar, and sentence structuring is quite different.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
In my 6 months of living in the UK, I never once heard the term "the loo" from a British person. Everyone always used toilet. Maybe it's just fallen out of use in London? The only people I ever heard saying loo were the Aussies I met.
I'm in Manchester and hear it called "the loo" all the time! Not from everyone, for example, my husband never calls it that. Come to think of it, it tends to be women who call it "the loo" - of all generations though, not just an older generation.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
As for this, in all my 18 and a half years growing up in England, I haven't once heard anyone say that.
me neither in 46years!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Yes I asked where the loo was and got a funny look. Another word they don'y use in the US is queue-they say stand in a line.
But they do use fanny for bottom!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
One of my friends is from London. The phrase I like the most that she uses is "Bob's your uncle." I did some research to find where the phrase came from. It definitely has English roots and refers to a highly placed English fellow named Bob. He was known to get jobs for his nephews in the government back in the 1880's (if I rememer correctly). I like it.

Does she say "and fanny's your aunt" too ?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Does she say "and fanny's your aunt" too ?
Nope. I've never heard her say it. Is it really a phrase that is used? I like it but "Bob's your uncle" is my favorite.

I didn't know what jumpers were when I was in England. I expected a dress. Also, nappies. I thought they were napkins.

There is a word that is used in England for a down-filled jacket. I can't remember what the word is. Anyone?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Nope. I've never heard her say it. Is it really a phrase that is used? I like it but "Bob's your uncle" is my favorite.

I didn't know what jumpers were when I was in England. I expected a dress. Also, nappies. I thought they were napkins.

There is a word that is used in England for a down-filled jacket. I can't remember what the word is. Anyone?
Yes peole will use both together and say "Bobs your uncle and fanny's your aunt"!
I think the word for the coat is anorak?
It's also used to describe someone who is thought of as boring ie "He's a bit of an anorak".

I live in Newcastle and there is a whole dictionary of Geordie language.
You can buy books called Lorn yesell Geordie (teach yourself Geordie)
Phrases include "Ah divn't nah"- I don't know
and "Wisht" - Shut up

https://wads.le.ac.uk/ee/Slangsearch...e=geordieslang
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom