Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I'm guessing you are talking about small cities and/or most Southern cities?

yup, good guess.

each of them has bus service, that stops at the DMV, the mall, the Wal Mart, maybe a few other places. You stand on the side of the highway, with other poor people, with no well-defined "bus stop", maybe a sign if you are lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwhite View Post
Arlington Texas comes to mind. I lived there for about 4 months, and was shocked to find out that although the city has a population of 380,000, public transportation is non-existent. Whenever I would mention this fact to residents they didn’t see the point of public transportation, thought everyone should just by a car. City officials could care less about mass transit either, and were much happier to use the city’s tax dollars for building stadiums and other attractions, then becoming a member of DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) or TRE (Trinity Railway Express).

Any other cities out there with anti-mass transit mentalities
That sounds a lot like Castle Rock, Colorado (not quite as big, only 44,000 population). The RTD in Denver has repeatedly tried to provide bus service to that area. The city government provided funding for trial bus service. Lots of people rode the buses. Then voters rejected joining RTD. So they shut the service down. It's happened about two or three times, since the 1970s.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:13 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,639 times
San Antonians just will not go in favor of it.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Go big or go home. Unless you're committed to building a large subway system with lots of stations and plenty of parking at said stations there's no point in spending money on it in my opinion. I can sit in the same traffic in a car as I can in a bus and have much more freddom about where I go.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Houston used to, until traffic got so bad they did build a light rail line. Columbus OH and Indianapolis, though the latter talks about rail someday. I would even say Detroit. Sure it does have some rail, but not too useful. At least there you don't have the issue that only the poor will ride it: just about the whole city is poor.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Go big or go home. Unless you're committed to building a large subway system with lots of stations and plenty of parking at said stations there's no point in spending money on it in my opinion. I can sit in the same traffic in a car as I can in a bus and have much more freddom about where I go.
Why would you want parking at subway stations? Isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of a subway system?

Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Only Dense Cities will build Subway systems. Most cities will build Streetcars / Light Rail and Regional Rail. Parking at Subway stations defeats the purpose. Only Terminals should have parking and many Terminals do have parking.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
If there's no parking how can you even use the subway? Trust me man if you just leave your car in the street they'll tow it.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:12 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
Quote:
If there's no parking how can you even use the subway? Trust me man if you just leave your car in the street they'll tow it.
You either WALK to the station or you transfer from a bus. That's why rail transit, especially subways, is most effective in dense areas.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,922,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Surprisingly the Duluth, MN (City 85-90 thousand) Metro (275,000) bus system is pretty good. College students (Duluth has 5 colleges and about 25,000 students) take the bus anywhere for free. They are planning a new Hub station in prep for the future high speed rail to connect with Minneapolis downtown. Bus shelters are heated and located along side walks (imagine that!) and they drop you off at the front door of shopping centers.

The city is also incorporating bike lanes and trails into it's comprehensive plan and adding side walks to streets that have not had them (why they never did is beyond me) in order to encourage more walking to shops (see if that works) and adding neighborhood park and rides. I think that is pretty good for a city this size.
I'm going to guess that the colleges are the key here. This seems true especially because you say that students ride free. Sounds as if the colleges have helped fund the bus system so that it's available to students. This seems to be true in other small cities with substantial college populations. Since many students don't have cars on campus, either the colleges contribute funding that supports a more extensive transit system than you usually see in small cities, or there is enough of a market for a transit system with all those students going car-free that an extensive fare-based system can be a success.

An extreme example of this is the five-college area in western Massachusetts. You have five colleges (UMass, Amherst, Hampshire, Smith, Mt. Holyoke) in three small towns in a rural area. The total population of the towns covered by the transit system is under 100k, with no single town over 30-35k, yet during school semesters they have busses running seven days a week, and running even late at night. Even over the summer they have service on weekdays, with hours into the early evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning