Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:37 PM

482 posts, read 399,178 times

Advertisements

I Nominate Downtown Fort Worth, TX

I've been spending more time there lately, and I always come away stunned by how it manages to check so many of the urban development boxes I feel the typical American city lacks to an embarrassing extent. While it'll almost certainly never be equivalent to the downtowns of major cities on the coasts, I wanted to bring to people's attention how it does a lot of little things that combine to close the gap considerably between Fort Worth and similar-sized cities in other parts of the world (it's also worth noting that Fort Worth is having uniquely strong redevelopment success while not exactly being known as a progressive trendsetter).

Downtown Forth Worth:

- Is the city's primary center of economic activity.
- Is very walkable.
- At least within the immediate vicinity of downtown, has adequate public transportation.
- Has adequate availability of public restrooms.
- Is relatively safe, has private security forces that augment local law enforcement patrols.
- Has a growing critical mass of in-district residents.
- Has grocery stores.
- Actually has a town square, values public gathering space as a key way for people to connect with each other and with the city around them.
- Has unique and charming architecture with a strong local character.
- Has a large number of diverse and very nice restaurants.
- Has bars/clubs.
- Has multiple small scale community-theater-like live theater options, plus a wide range of other performance venues.
- Has multiple options for excellent and unique shopping.
- Has multi-generational appeal. Unlike other downtowns that appeal primarily to certain target demographics (e.g. middle-aged businesspersons in some, the 20-something nightlife crowd in others), Downtown Fort Worth is a place that can appeal to people of any age, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic background, and station in life.

I think the only thing it lacks in my opinion is an impressive skyline when viewed from a distance, but I wonder if that's partially intentional because many of the buildings trend toward a more horizontal, accessible appearance.

I posted pertinent links below -- including information about the Bass family, the benefactors who made the redevelopment possible. How many of you have been to Downtown Fort Worth? What are your thoughts? And what are other underrated cities that deserve recognition for their strides in urban redevelopment?

https://ssqmgmt.com/history

https://sundancesquare.com/sundance-square-plaza/

https://landscapeperformance.org/cas...e-square-plaza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPy70-dZv0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWlclfLFKAs

Commercial Property/Downtown Fort Worth;Where Restoration and Building Is a Family Affair - The New York Times

Wowtown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
How many people were displaced to make that happen?

Old 07-10-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't know. It's possible many were. It's also possible very few were. When you look at the overall economic gain to the city as a result of their downtown revitalization -- including the new employment opportunities that had not existed before -- I'd have to say that in the long-run making these changes is more beneficial to both wealthy and poor residents than risking not having made the changes.

I'll add that one reason it's doubtful a ton of people were displaced is much of this development has occurred not in places where there was housing before, but in places where there was nothing but wasted space. For example they didn't tear down houses to make the Sundance Square Plaza; they simply paved a huge parking lot. And they didn't do fancy renovations on residential buildings surrounding the square; they constructed new buildings.

Fort Worth in its core has undergone an incredible transformation, and in my opinion almost all residents are better off because of it.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Unless you count the homeless? None. And it has created far more places to live than before.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
I Nominate Downtown Fort Worth, TX

I've been spending more time there lately, and I always come away stunned by how it manages to check so many of the urban development boxes I feel the typical American city lacks to an embarrassing extent. While it'll almost certainly never be equivalent to the downtowns of major cities on the coasts, I wanted to bring to people's attention how it does a lot of little things that combine to close the gap considerably between Fort Worth and similar-sized cities in other parts of the world (it's also worth noting that Fort Worth is having uniquely strong redevelopment success while not exactly being known as a progressive trendsetter).

Downtown Forth Worth:

- Is the city's primary center of economic activity.
- Is very walkable.
- At least within the immediate vicinity of downtown, has adequate public transportation.
- Has adequate availability of public restrooms.
- Is relatively safe, has private security forces that augment local law enforcement patrols.
- Has a growing critical mass of in-district residents.
- Has grocery stores.
- Actually has a town square, values public gathering space as a key way for people to connect with each other and with the city around them.
- Has unique and charming architecture with a strong local character.
- Has a large number of diverse and very nice restaurants.
- Has bars/clubs.
- Has multiple small scale community-theater-like live theater options, plus a wide range of other performance venues.
- Has multiple options for excellent and unique shopping.
- Has multi-generational appeal. Unlike other downtowns that appeal primarily to certain target demographics (e.g. middle-aged businesspersons in some, the 20-something nightlife crowd in others), Downtown Fort Worth is a place that can appeal to people of any age, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic background, and station in life.

I think the only thing it lacks in my opinion is an impressive skyline when viewed from a distance, but I wonder if that's partially intentional because many of the buildings trend toward a more horizontal, accessible appearance.

I posted pertinent links below -- including information about the Bass family, the benefactors who made the redevelopment possible. How many of you have been to Downtown Fort Worth? What are your thoughts? And what are other underrated cities that deserve recognition for their strides in urban redevelopment?

https://ssqmgmt.com/history

https://sundancesquare.com/sundance-square-plaza/

https://landscapeperformance.org/cas...e-square-plaza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPy70-dZv0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWlclfLFKAs

Commercial Property/Downtown Fort Worth;Where Restoration and Building Is a Family Affair - The New York Times

Wowtown!
Right in my backyard and someplace I go to regularly. It's vibrant, safe and there is always something going on. From the downtown of 25 years ago until now, the change is unbelievable. 25 years ago is was your typical dying, crime-ridden dump. But a vision made it a downtown to be envied. The plaza was just the icing on the cake, giving it a european feel.

I grew up in the northeast, and the city my family still lives in is a dying, crime-ridden dump. They are continually looking at ways to entice people to go downtown, but it never happens. The key to Fort Worth's success is that they dealt with the crime issue up front. Security came first, then businesses trickled in. Then the people came, and the whole thing snowballed. The private security force is more strict than the local cops, and have a presence everywhere. Another thing FW has is free parking in their garages on weekends. It makes people much more likely to just head down to go out to dinner or go shopping, and stay as long as they like, without worrying about the often expensive cost of parking.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:24 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
you guys have made me want to visit Dallas/Ft. Worth! i just might, in the fall.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:29 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Never been there but looks great, thanks for the post.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:55 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Would Grand Rapids be worthy of discussion? It's kind of smaller but there's tons of new developments on previously abandoned or empty lots, along with most every abandoned or underutilized building in the core and surrounding neighborhoods. To keep pace with this over the last 10-15 years the city has been investing in redeveloping the older public paces and parks.

Here is a link that shows all of the different projects taking place in just 2016-2017
http://grcity.us/design-and-developm...L%201000am.pdf

Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I really am a fan of with Fort Worth. If the commute to Dallas wasn't such a drag I would probably live there but I'm not doing that daily commute for work. But yeah Fort Worth has a lot going for it, small town feel with culture, arts, music, decent architecture, pretty impressive.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Right in my backyard and someplace I go to regularly. It's vibrant, safe and there is always something going on. From the downtown of 25 years ago until now, the change is unbelievable. 25 years ago is was your typical dying, crime-ridden dump. But a vision made it a downtown to be envied. The plaza was just the icing on the cake, giving it a european feel.

I grew up in the northeast, and the city my family still lives in is a dying, crime-ridden dump. They are continually looking at ways to entice people to go downtown, but it never happens. The key to Fort Worth's success is that they dealt with the crime issue up front. Security came first, then businesses trickled in. Then the people came, and the whole thing snowballed. The private security force is more strict than the local cops, and have a presence everywhere. Another thing FW has is free parking in their garages on weekends. It makes people much more likely to just head down to go out to dinner or go shopping, and stay as long as they like, without worrying about the often expensive cost of parking.
Safety and free parking. Can't go wrong with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
you guys have made me want to visit Dallas/Ft. Worth! i just might, in the fall.
Come on down! Here in the DFW metroplex we love sharing the energy of all the positive changes here with visitors. I have to warn you though: many visitors who come this way and stay for longer than about three days somehow slip and fall into well-paying jobs and wind up staying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Never been there but looks great, thanks for the post.
You're welcome. Fort Worth is a welcoming place, as is Texas in general, so you're welcome to come down for a live look at things also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Would Grand Rapids be worthy of discussion? It's kind of smaller but there's tons of new developments on previously abandoned or empty lots, along with most every abandoned or underutilized building in the core and surrounding neighborhoods. To keep pace with this over the last 10-15 years the city has been investing in redeveloping the older public paces and parks.

Here is a link that shows all of the different projects taking place in just 2016-2017
http://grcity.us/design-and-developm...L%201000am.pdf
Yes, the link does show some good energy in Grand Rapids. I don't know too much about the town. One pattern I've found is that it always helps to have local big businesses committed to the redevelopment. Are there major corporate players in Grand Rapids helping you guys push things along? I look forward to seeing how things progress for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I really am a fan of with Fort Worth. If the commute to Dallas wasn't such a drag I would probably live there but I'm not doing that daily commute for work. But yeah Fort Worth has a lot going for it, small town feel with culture, arts, music, decent architecture, pretty impressive.
Yeah, they're doing a great job of growing on a lot of us folks here on the Dallas side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning