Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

At first this might seem to be a no-brainer, but it is a huge issue when it comes to planning and creating a pleasant urban environment. Lots of cash makes for attractive developments, but why do less exclusive areas have to be so damned ugly?

This is where the US has really messed up. Why is it a poor or average income area in Europe can still look like a classic painting:

But in the US we get garbage like this:

Why does "poor" equal "ugly" in this country? It seems to me it doesn't have to be that way...

Last edited by Chango; 03-21-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 04:13 PM

135 posts, read 248,248 times
Why did you only use Oklahoma as your U.S. example?!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times
I think because Europe is so used to creating towns like that, they've done so for hundreds of years so even if they are poor it is expected to look like those towns. However America is young and it wants to be "progressive" and "modern" and they don't like European-like towns ever since the start of the automobile age. Also, Americans also value cheap, because many do not like to spend a lot of money and they want the most for their money so they'd want the absolute least expensive possible, think of why Walmart is so popular hear in America. I think culturally that is what separates Europeans from many Americans these days. Europeans are more willing to invest in their cities and keep their charm and community while Americans don't care how something such as housing looks as long as its cheap to build and very profitable since we are inwardly focused on things like consumer items such as TVs and such and we also want lots of space for our cars and roads.

I also think when WWII ended, the horrors of Modernist architecture arose and one of the doctrines of that was that unlike previous eras, buildings should not be built to be beautiful but rather to be cheap and functional and that thought caused and continue to cause lots of destruction to our cities and our land today.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM

185 posts, read 350,051 times
TBH, both are kinda bland.

I thought this thread was going to show a picture of a poor block of brownstones in a city in the NE.

The mobile homes aren't a good comparison, because they aren't part of a town, but they do house poorer people.
Camden, NJ. Most exaggerated example of a poor=ugly kind of city

South Bronx during the 1970s is perhaps the greatest example of urban decay, but it's also one of the greatest examples of renewal as well.

The fact is that many cities around the world go through boom and bust patterns. What might have been a thriving business district in City X might become a ghetto some time later. Or vise versa.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
I wish all European housing was easy on the eye like that but there are plenty of ugly post-war low-income housing types in Europe. Here are some I've taken pictures of myself in England/Ukraine/Poland/Belgium/Germany respectively:

Funny how you should criticise American housing because although I've never been there myself most times I see American houses on TV I marvel at how well-kept (and in particular how big) most of them look.
Attached Thumbnails
why does "poor" equal "ugly"?-picture-117.jpg   why does "poor" equal "ugly"?-022.jpg   why does "poor" equal "ugly"?-pict0045.jpg   why does "poor" equal "ugly"?-picture-074.jpg   why does "poor" equal "ugly"?-pict0050.jpg  

Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I wish all European housing was easy on the eye like that but there are plenty of ugly post-war low-income housing types in Europe. Here are some I've taken pictures of myself in England/Ukraine/Poland/Belgium/Germany respectively:

Funny how you should criticise American housing because although I've never been there myself most times I see American houses on TV I marvel at how well-kept (and in particular how big) most of them look.
It is funny; we probably romanticize each other's continents in our own minds more than we realize.

I've spent too much time on Googe street view and base my opinions on that more than anything; of course there are ugly parts of Europe and pretty parts of the US, but by and large the built areas of Europe (especially Western Europe) are much prettier than the majority of the U.S. to my eyes.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,298,493 times
Europe has plenty of poor places that look ugly. It has little to do with the age of the buildings aside from individual taste in architecture. In Sacramento we have plenty of pre-WWII suburbs. South of Downtown looks nice. The homes are maintained, lawns mowed, no cars parked on the lawn or junk stored in the side yards.

North of Downtown used to be like the neighborhoods to the south. There are still a few pockets of nice areas, but the type of people who take care of their homes are fleeing from the people who just don't seem to care. The yards are overgrown with weeds. Old cars and junk is stored on the lawn and graffiti is all over everything in some places. And this is the reason why people don't like low-income housing near them.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:07 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Heck, the U.S. has plenty of expensive housing that is plenty ugly ...

Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,027 times
TBH, I think that the first 2 Europe examples are quite ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
How's this for low-income housing?
ECB - Housing: North Beach Place

I wanted to move in here: washers and dryers with an on-site trader joes! In a good location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning