Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My office is 5 miles away; it takes about 12 minutes there (sometimes 11) and about 10-11 coming home as I don't have to stop for a long, left-turn light.
Ok. I thought you were referring to city driving speeds not suburban ones.

Actually, thinking about it, you'd trouble getting those speed for many typical drives in Long Island as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok. I thought you were referring to city driving speeds not suburban ones.

Actually, thinking about it, you'd trouble getting those speed for many typical drives in Long Island as well.
Mine is 7; it takes about 35 minutes driving and far too long by bus. I can bike it quicker than the bus despite the hills.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Driving in Budapest is not that bad, especially outside downtown. The car lanes are narrower than in North America and people drive more slowly, but traffic seemed to be free flowing most of the time. There are basically no freeways in the city (let alone downtown), they mostly just exist in the suburbs. A few make their way into the outer neighbourhoods of the city proper before becoming boulevards.

Ex: Budapest - Google Térkép

The boulevards have relatively few signalled intersections and people drive around 30-40mph on them. That 5 mile trip can be done in about 15-20 minutes by car. 5 miles in 30 minutes by surface transit is pretty good, especially since I had to make a transfer, but nothing exceptional.

The main point I wanted to make is that you could get from a suburb to downtown in 30 minutes. Budapest is not that small, the urban and metro area is about the size of Denver, and the suburb I came from is comparable to Broomfield, CO in the context of the metro area. Getting from Broomfield to downtown Denver probably takes around 30 minutes by car in good traffic, and from google maps, an hour or more by transit. So there is a ton of stuff within a 30 minute transit ride if you live in Budapest, not just everyday shopping like the grocery store or bank but museums, parks, thermal spas, more specialty shopping and just about everywhere you might want to go, and you don't have to live downtown. It's not just fast transit that is needed to live car-free, but also a compact built form and density around important transit stops.

Admittedly, looking at a map of Budapest, the suburb I came from is one of the closest, but there are still probably around 1 million people within a 30 minute transit ride of the downtown and 2 million within a 50 minute transit ride.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I think it would be helpful for there to be a standard definition of "Transit Oriented Development". But I guess that's like trying for a standard defintion of "suburban", probably a pipe dream.
There's no technical definition, but I think it means development chosen to center around transit, rather than say highways. Many office parks in American suburbs are built right off expressway exits, they would be examples of the highway rather than transit oriented development.

The red circled Arlington, Virginia development around subway stops is a good example?

Quote:
Actially, IIRC, the train stations of my youth actually were in kind of seedy areas of town, with no frou-frou coffee shops, boutiques, etc surrouding them. Of course, my hometown didn't have much of that stuff period.
Were those trains local / commuter rail or longer distance rail stops? If the latter, I wouldn't have expected it to be a magnet for desirable development, as it wouldn't get a huge volume of people going through. I didn't really have "trendy" shops in mind, just a concentration of normal ones.

There are some east coast suburb that have development clustered around a train station; shops and apartment buildings. It's a common enough pattern in Long Island to see a cluster of shops and an old town center around a train station; though often larger shops are elsewhere.

The British Edgeware example I mentioned earlier has development almost completely oriented around the train station; most shops are within a short walk of the train station. These were all built before the automobile; but the development still clusters around an existing rail station.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Decentralized employment is only easier if everyone's driving (especially if there's uncongested highways). With transit lines, especially rail lines, it's much easier to funnel everyone to one point. I don't mean almost everyone, maybe 50% (making up numbers there) of jobs at or near the center. And it's also nice to be able to plan that your job will be in the same place even if you change jobs.
I wonder how mass transit will work in the context of the DC suburbs. There have been proposals for a Purple Line that would go around the Beltway and link up all of the suburban office districts. The only problem I see is that the routes will only be used from 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. Who's going to board a train traveling from one office park/subdivision to another on a Saturday morning?

Quote:
Having very dense housing right next to the city center can make up for some of the time loss. Downtowns are far less sterile than scattered office parks, more jobs in downtown = more shops and mixed use = more vibrant city center and more appealing city in general.
Wasn't this my proposal in the TOD thread?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Light rail is not the only form of public transit. It is incredibly expensive. Our transit district ran out of money to complete its light rail system as planned. Now they're considering asking us for another tax hike. I think its popularity has something to do with little boys' fascination with trains.
I agree. Once the term "transit" gets thrown out, people get all giddy about the prospect of a light rail gently gliding through downtown streets. "Transit" rarely conjures images of new high-tech, natural gas or electric buses. And once visions of light rail trains and streetcars start dancing in their heads, there's pretty much nothing you can say to convince them otherwise.

"Kewl! I can't wait til Atlanta looks like this once we get our light rail!"

Human Transit: amsterdam: drunken revelers dancing with trams

Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree. Once the term "transit" gets thrown out, people get all giddy about the prospect of a light rail gently gliding through downtown streets. "Transit" rarely conjures images of new high-tech, natural gas or electric buses. And once visions of light rail trains and streetcars start dancing in their heads, there's pretty much nothing you can say to convince them otherwise.

"Kewl! I can't wait til Atlanta looks like this once we get our light rail!"

Human Transit: amsterdam: drunken revelers dancing with trams
Amsterdam and drunken revelry makes me think of this Yglesias post of 2 usages of "freedom":

Tim Pawlenty and the Rhetoric of Freedom | ThinkProgress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning