Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Commuter rail in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Commuter rail, which has a lower cost per mile and can move faster due to fewer stops, is a better choice for suburbia. Most such systems were established in the last 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
One of the problems with public transit in the burbs is the way the burbs are set up.

For instance Chicago has Metra as commuter rail, but Metra is much better at bringing people into the city than anything else. Reverse commuters may have issues with the schedule(i.e. three trains that can get you to the loop by 7:30AM but none or few that can get you to some burb at that time).

Burbs also often lack sidewalk which greatly limits how far you can travel around/from the station. i.e. Even if you destination is near the station it can be unsafe to walk to your destination from the station.

Burbs can also be lacking in additional public transit. i.e. No/Few busses to take you away from the station.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
One of the problems with public transit in the burbs is the way the burbs are set up.

For instance Chicago has Metra as commuter rail, but Metra is much better at bringing people into the city than anything else. Reverse commuters may have issues with the schedule(i.e. three trains that can get you to the loop by 7:30AM but none or few that can get you to some burb at that time).

Burbs also often lack sidewalk which greatly limits how far you can travel around/from the station. i.e. Even if you destination is near the station it can be unsafe to walk to your destination from the station.

Burbs can also be lacking in additional public transit. i.e. No/Few busses to take you away from the station.
Stereotypes, stereotypes, stereotypes.

Here's the metra schedule. You can play with it. Also note transit links. Most suburban stations have Park 'n Rides where you can leave your car. Also, most suburbs, as most cities, are safe to walk in.

http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...ystem_map.html

Here is a map of the Chicago suburb where my in-laws lived. Note the sidewalks. They're even the old-fashioned kind, with a strip of land between the sidewalk and the street.

la grange il - Google Maps

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-25-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You sure they are not only on the outskirts of the burbs? I don't think they are integrated in suburbs as you would like to think.
This is a trolly in Media Pa, it terminates back to the 69th Street terminal in Upper Darby where is connects to the MFL subway/El. This line also connects with the Media/Elwyn Regional rail line and services a decent portion of DE county in Philly

Septa Media 101 Trolley heading down State Street - YouTube

The Camden to Trento Riverline Line also services basically only the burbs, connects with PATCO, two seperate NJT Regional rail lines (AC and NEC), Septa Regional Rail (trenton Line), and Amtrak Regional and Acela service

NJT RiverLINE at Farnsworth Avenue grade crossing - YouTube

Norristown High Speed Line in Montco PA

Garrett Hill Station SEPTA Norristown High Speed Line Radnor PA - YouTube

Springfield PA Trolly service

Paper Mill Rd SEPTA 101 Trolley Stop Springfield PA - YouTube

But maybe I am unsure what you mean

Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Cleveland's Rapid Red Line was built in the 50s to get out to the southwest suburbs, including the Brook Park Ford plant and other industries in the area, and the airport.

The Rapid routes going out to Shaker Heights were built before WWII, and are what's left of old interurban and streetcar lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Then come the criminals riding the train right out to your town.
Riiiiiiiiight. Because criminals don't already have cars that they can ride into your neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not true in Cleveland and Philadelphia, anyway. For instance, the Norristown Transportation Center outside of Philadelphia is the convergence of one high-speed trolley line, one commuter rail line, and about a half-dozen bus routes, designed to get people to and from the city to employment and educational destinations like malls, colleges, etc.

The commuter rail line runs to and from downtown Philadelphia. The high-speed trolley goes to another regional transportation center, and connects with the suburbs southwest of Philadelphia.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is a map of the Chicago suburb where my in-laws lived. Note the sidewalks. They're even the old-fashioned kind, with a strip of land between the sidewalk and the street.
Another west vs east difference.

That style of sidewalk building definitely didn't go out of style here. The other kind isn't too common except in dense commercial areas.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Another west vs east difference.

That style of sidewalk building definitely didn't go out of style here. The other kind isn't too common except in dense commercial areas.
My brother-in-law's neighborhood in suburban Omaha, built in the 70s, has sidewalks with a small strip of land between the sidewalk and the street. Perhaps "old fashioned" was a poor word choice. You don't see them much around here though, except in Denver itself and the older part of some burbs. But the suburbs do have sidewalks here, with VERY few exceptions.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Just saw this from last week.

DRPA's Nash: Expect passenger trains heading to Glassboro in seven years | NJ.com

Also in another thread MDAllstar posted a ton of links on Light Rail developments in Montgomery County MD
//www.city-data.com/forum/21429014-post18.html

Old 10-25-2011, 02:36 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
if you avoid light rail, that means you use more gas and more money goes to middle east countries. and yes all the criminals in usa do not have cars, they will attack neighbourhoods once there is public transportation right??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Don't drink the light rail Kool Aid!

The first thing they do is set up a regional transit authority, i.e., sock the suburbs with higher taxes based on their higher property values, since urban areas are too broke to pay for them.

Then come the criminals riding the train right out to your town.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,104,862 times
I was reading about Calgary's C-Train. It looks like they're incrementally extending the lines as the urban area expands and the ends of the light rail lines are never far from the edge of the urban area.

Here's a map:
Red and blue are the current lines, orange and light blue are under construction. Other colours are other extensions and lines being proposed, although I'm not sure about the exact alignment of purple and brown lines.

The system isn't so big because they have a lot of oil money to waste either. It's run in a very effective way. I'm having a hard time believing it myself but apparently it costs only 27 cents per passenger to operate. Capital investments have by far the highest ROI of any light rail system in North America, with an investment of $2400 required to get a new passenger. The next highest are Edmonton's light rail at $8700 and Sacramento's at $9100. It also helps that the city has a very prominent CBD, that they aren't prioritizing road and parking investments. It probably helps that the whole urban area is part of the city, so it's easier to plan everything. By 2030, Calgary will have grown about 4-fold since the first LRT line was opened, so it will be interesting to see how the C-Train will have shaped the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning