Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Note lack of a lot of auto activity on those roads, also. Maybe the picture was taken on a Sunday morning, who knows? Just b/c there are no pedestrians in the picture, that doesn't mean none ever use those sidewalks.
See area I posted a bit back. It usually has pedestrians, but sometimes a bit empty. None in that view, though.

Quote:
Is that a joke?
Mostly, a joke. Though city areas that vote Republican tend to be distinct culturally and demographically from the rest of the city, so it kinda means something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
If the front door of the house is a garage door, it's suburban. If the real front door is closer to the street than the garage, that's urban - or at least it's a better type of suburban.
In the east coast, or at least the northeast, the garage is rarely if ever closer to the street than the front entrance. Garages are often to the side. Sometimes at the same distance from the street as the rest of the house and facing the street. But the typical house entrance is still the garage. And many homes don't have a garages, especially older homes. If they do, it's detached and pushed to the back.

A better indicator would be is there a path from the front door to the street? Or a path from the front door to the driveway? Or is there a garage at all?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Mostly, a joke. Though city areas that vote Republican tend to be distinct culturally and demographically from the rest of the city, so it kinda means something.
They tend to be those areas that have these "beautiful old houses" that some on this forum seem to value so much.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
They tend to be those areas that have these "beautiful old houses" that some on this forum seem to value so much.
Including me?

Not always in my experience, it must depend a lot on the city. I was thinking more newer, outer sections.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Including me?

Not always in my experience, it must depend a lot on the city. I was thinking more newer, outer sections.
I wasn't specifically thinking of you; can't remember any such posts you've made. But the wealthy people tend to vote Republican, and wealthy people own those houses in whatever part of town.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
But the wealthy people tend to vote Republican, and wealthy people own those houses in whatever part of town.
But wealthy urbanites don't Republican, they tend to be more of the "latte liberal" variety. Though the people I'm thinking of are more upper-middle class than wealthy, but the truly wealthy don't usually make up much of the population. Depends on the city and region. In Massachusetts, the well-off outer suburbs are the most likely to vote Republican in the state (and the most conservative outer suburbs of Boston are in another state) while in most inner Boston suburbs and the city itself the Republican party is a non-entity at national levels (17-35% of the vote) and all income levels don't vote Republican

There's a newer, postwar section of New York City (built similar to most postwar suburbs but a bit denser and more transit friendly) that has similar demographics, income levels, amount of children as much of the suburbs and often votes more Republican than the suburbs themselves.

Massachusetts is an outlier, but I think in many cities the better of well-off urbanites tend to vote Democrat (Chicago, probably other good examples).

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
While it can be practical to those who commute by car in cold climes, I think it's ugly.
A garage closer to the street does save on driveway replacement costs. Nothing like getting estimates to replace your 90' driveway that runs from the street to the back of your lot ...

Quote:
A better indicator would be is there a path from the front door to the street? Or a path from the front door to the driveway? Or is there a garage at all?
Or all three?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A garage closer to the street does save on driveway replacement costs. Nothing like getting estimates to replace your 90' driveway that runs from the street to the back of your lot ...

True. Of course I don't have either, just public parking in the front and rear of my rowhouse (plenty of it, too). I could put a driveway into my backyard (accessible via the alley), but it would be right in my prime tomato growing zone. Vegetables > parking, for me.

My next door neighbor has very creatively combined a parking pad for his sports car and a small, usable yard, in a very small space.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Although I think in many suburbs, it's not a case of the garage being especially close to the street as much as the front door being far from it.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
True. Of course I don't have either, just public parking in the front and rear of my rowhouse (plenty of it, too). I could put a driveway into my backyard (accessible via the alley), but it would be right in my prime tomato growing zone. Vegetables > parking, for me.
I turned the path from the alley between the shed and the garage into a driveway (I can get my car into the garage, but can't open the doors to get out). Future owners will need a subcompact to use it.

Quote:
Although I think in many suburbs, it's not a case of the garage being especially close to the street as much as the front door being far from it.
Only guests used the front doors in our neighborhood. Even us kids didn't knock on front doors of our friends' houses when we wanted to play.

At my parents' house, the owners' path from the attached garage to the house would have been out the back garage door, across the patio, and up the stoop to the backyard. Most houses in my parents' neighborhood have direct access from the attached garage to the kitchen etc. The house next door had a really cool breezeway.

My house has an alley, with a cement walk from the (unusable for any car larger than a Smart Car) garage to the back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning