Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 AM

21,924 posts, read 25,269,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How much state government is in San Francisco?
Supreme Court, Narcotics Enforcement, and the devil, or I mean AOC, off the top of my head. Most the "regional division" offices are going to be in San Francisco. I interned for the Public Utilities Commission which only has offices in San Francisco and LA.

Beyond that... I really don't know. I'm no expert in state government employment, but there is quite a bit of it in both San Francisco and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,975,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Good topic !!

No one is really going out making cities all cities are getting bigger and bigger .Most people that live away from the down town area it would be a suburbs.

Most suburbs are homes and not mix use .

One thing about suburbs than say a city is the city has city feel to it no matter density level.

Other thing is a city have more restaurants ,fast foods ,clubs and entertainment where suburbs have zoning laws to not have all those stuff.No one in the suburb likes factories or stores that why they always look down on.

Try putting up lots of neon sighns on strip in the suburbs and you will see how hard it is to get oaky.

Try seting up bars ,night clubs and entertainment you be going to city hall and courts like 20 times if you even get the okay.

suburbs have a feel for people that want to escape city life.

wikipedia has good section on suburbs and the history Suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't think you've been in a suburb in 60 years, if that's what you think. Neither has the person who wrote that wiki article.

This myth that suburbs are homes and nothing more has been debunked time and again on this forum. Yet someone else always comes along and posts it again. Sometimes the same people do so. "If you say something often enough, people will believe it".

There aren't a lot of factories anywhere in the US any more. However, there is an oil refinery and a dog food factory in Commerce City, CO, a Denver suburb. My suburb of Louisville used to have a factory that made computer storage devices. (It went out of business.) Most suburbs have plenty of stores. Many malls are in the suburbs.

My town has several bars, including a number of sports bars. There's plenty of entertainment here, too, including a movie theater complex.

I'm not sure what's so cool about neon signs. Most municipalities have sign ordinances.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,321,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This myth that suburbs are homes and nothing more has been debunked time and again on this forum. Yet someone else always comes along and posts it again. Sometimes the same people do so. "If you say something often enough, people will believe it".
Nobody here is saying that suburbs are homes and nothing more. Suburbs are residential neighborhoods, but that does not mean they are exclusively made up of residential buildings. Malls and shopping centers, for example, are types of commercial development found in suburban neighborhoods, but they have different physical forms than those found in urban neighborhoods.

Quote:
There aren't a lot of factories anywhere in the US any more. However, there is an oil refinery and a dog food factory in Commerce City, CO, a Denver suburb. My suburb of Louisville used to have a factory that made computer storage devices. (It went out of business.) Most suburbs have plenty of stores. Many malls are in the suburbs.
Most malls are in the suburbs. Many industries are in the suburbs, especially with the advent of "edge cities" that are, effectively, a commercial/industrial variant of the suburban form, often with more jobs than residents. What makes them suburbs is their urban form, transportation network and relation to the urban core.

Quote:
My town has several bars, including a number of sports bars. There's plenty of entertainment here, too, including a movie theater complex.

I'm not sure what's so cool about neon signs. Most municipalities have sign ordinances.
Well...that's very nice that your neighbors can get their drink on. Can they stagger home, or do they have to drive drunk?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,321,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Supreme Court, Narcotics Enforcement, and the devil, or I mean AOC, off the top of my head. Most the "regional division" offices are going to be in San Francisco. I interned for the Public Utilities Commission which only has offices in San Francisco and LA.

Beyond that... I really don't know. I'm no expert in state government employment, but there is quite a bit of it in both San Francisco and LA.
Here's a fairly awesome link that includes lots of labor market info about San Francisco:

California LaborMarketInfo, The Economy

Apparently about 35,000 out of a total job market of 900,000 or so...of which only about 300,000 are people who actually live in San Francisco. Two-thirds of San Francisco's workforce commutes in from other parts of the Bay Area (Alameda County seems to be the biggest source of commuters.)

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Nobody here is saying that suburbs are homes and nothing more..
'Scuse me? I think someone just said that in the post I quoted, not to mention it has been said many times over on this forum.

Quote:
Most malls are in the suburbs. Many industries are in the suburbs, especially with the advent of "edge cities" that are, effectively, a commercial/industrial variant of the suburban form, often with more jobs than residents. What makes them suburbs is their urban form, transportation network and relation to the urban core.
You're not making any sense in that last sentence.

Quote:
Well...that's very nice that your neighbors can get their drink on. Can they stagger home, or do they have to drive drunk?
Gee, I thought that was the hallmark of a hip area, lots of bars! It's always mentioned as one of the positives of 'the city'. My town is small enough that anyone who lives there could walk home from any bar.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 PM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times
Quote:
Apparently about 35,000 out of a total job market of 900,000 or so...of which only about 300,000 are people who actually live in San Francisco. Two-thirds of San Francisco's workforce commutes in from other parts of the Bay Area (Alameda County seems to be the biggest source of commuters.)
The 900,000 from your link is a metro area number, it includes San Mateo county. The 2000 census numbers for just San Francisco county is 587,300 workers, 418,553 working residents in San Francisco county and 322,000 workers who both live and work in San Francisco. So 45% of San Francisco's workers commute from outside.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,054,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think you've been in a suburb in 60 years, if that's what you think. Neither has the person who wrote that wiki article.

Please take a history class on cities.

We do not built classic store fronts do to it is hard for parking and we have chain stores now .

Read up on the overcrowded of cities and slums and you see why high density and mix use is looked down on.

Read up on why we do not use the grid system .

Read up on garden city and you see why commercial strips and Los Angeles is frown on.

It simple suburbs have ordinances they hate the commercial strips and offices and factories are in office park.

If city is you going than move down town or move to Las Vagas where every thing goes.

A suburbs try to make a blend of green movement and in between of city and country.

That face it most older people do not want to live in a suburb like this. That is why they stop building suburbs like this around the 50's .It was too urban looking than suburb looking.If you want some thing like this than move to area built before 50's .

But please do not allow your kids to play out on street in those grid systems.

Last edited by sweat209; 11-22-2011 at 12:39 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,054,433 times
Quote:
Nobody here is saying that suburbs are homes and nothing more. Suburbs are residential neighborhoods, but that does not mean they are exclusively made up of residential buildings. Malls and shopping centers, for example, are types of commercial development found in suburban neighborhoods, but they have different physical forms than those found in urban neighborhoods.
If I remember my school textbooks about 10% to 15% of land is or where be allocated to commercial development.

Some suburbs do seem to have more commercial development than others . But keep in mind we have chain stores now .

It is not like the sun belt cities where city zoning laws are very loose .

One think I was shocked when I was in suburbs in Miami and Fort lauderdale is almost every artery had commercial development that you just do not find in cities in Canada .

Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,952,414 times
Quote:
How much state government is in San Francisco?
Oakland has quite a bit of govt, regional government and the Federal workers. Downtown Oakland mainly has government employees.

For example:
Port of Oakland
BART
Caltrans
The Federal Building has: IRS and Federal Court in the tenant list
Caltrans
IRS

There is definitely a fight between SF and Oakland for govt offices.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
If I remember my school textbooks about 10% to 15% of land is or where be allocated to commercial development.

Some suburbs do seem to have more commercial development than others . But keep in mind we have chain stores now .

It is not like the sun belt cities where city zoning laws are very loose .

One think I was shocked when I was in suburbs in Miami and Fort lauderdale is almost every artery had commercial development that you just do not find in cities in Canada .
What do you mean by the bold? There are no national land use standards in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning