Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Other than the post office, all those businesses are clustered together along Forbes/Fifth, along with another commercial stretch on Craig Street. The park and library are not far from either commercial sub-sector and there are bank branches throughout Oakland. Perhaps it was just your particular branch that was inconvenient to everything else.
It was a long time ago; I don't remember all the details. I lived in a fairly residential area.

As for Denver, the neighborhood where we lived was not terribly walkable. Not that you couldn't walk, there just wasn't much to walk to, except a huge park. My daughter lived in a neighborhood near the U of Denver. As I said, lots of restaurants, but not a lot else within a short walk. Of course, it all depends on your definition of short, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It was a long time ago; I don't remember all the details. I lived in a fairly residential area.
Oh, well that could be it then. Oakland has developed a LOT in the past 10 years.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Hmm. I lived in the B/W region. Where do you live?
I live in Reisterstown.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
I think people hate on suburbs because they think they are just the stereotypical, bland, media-built image of the United States. I think it's ridiculous to say that...what i will say though is that suburbs pretty much anywhere you go in the United States are the same. The cities are what distinguish a metropolitan area more than the suburbs...in my case, St. Louis County and St. Louis City actually are separate political identities, so the suburbs of St. Louis on both the Missouri and illinois sides essentially function as their own cities...maybe that's why i have no objection to living in the suburbs.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I think people hate on suburbs because they think they are just the stereotypical, bland, media-built image of the United States. I think it's ridiculous to say that...what i will say though is that suburbs pretty much anywhere you go in the United States are the same. The cities are what distinguish a metropolitan area more than the suburbs...in my case, St. Louis County and St. Louis City actually are separate political identities, so the suburbs of St. Louis on both the Missouri and illinois sides essentially function as their own cities...maybe that's why i have no objection to living in the suburbs.
Many suburbs are their own incorporated cities with governments, and many still function as bedroom communities for the anchor city. There are few cities which are pretty independent from the anchor city, there's one or two in the average metro though.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 PM

466 posts, read 982,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ok I agree that's a generalization but if I wanted to drive anywhere it took 10 minutes or more. I don't know many people who have every daily amenity within a 10 minute drive in the suburbs.
Really? And where do these people live?

Any suburb in Rochester you can get to any daily amenity in 10 minutes. Hell, in those 10 minutes you'll have several choices.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Similarly, the City and County of Denver are one entity; the burbs are all in their own counties and most are incorporated as cities.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Really? And where do these people live?

Any suburb in Rochester you can get to any daily amenity in 10 minutes. Hell, in those 10 minutes you'll have several choices.
My parents house in Louisiana where I lived, two of my cousins here in Houston, all of my friends when I lived in suburbia, etc.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,508 times
Alot of people hate suburbs because 95% of commercial buildings are cookie cutter chain stores and it's car-centric, you HAVE to get your driver's license at 16 or everything will be much harder for you.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Alot of people hate suburbs because 95% of commercial buildings are cookie cutter chain stores and it's car-centric, you HAVE to get your driver's license at 16 or everything will be much harder for you.
boo hoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning