Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 PM

5,514 posts, read 9,512,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Taco Bell was purely coincidental. There are a few decent, locally owned restaurants in Boardman. They are there mostly to serve the people who are afraid to venture within the city limits of Youngstown.

But that isn't my point. My point is that you have the choice of driving to these restaurants in suburban sprawlville, or risk your life walking there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,555,545 times
I think it is the sense of place and community. Most suburbs just don't have that and serve as bedroom communities to major cities. It is a tough choice but I think the option of living in a smaller city, and being in the actual city. I.E. living DT Cincinatti, Cleveland or Charlotte for instance, would be better than living in the suburbs of Chicago, and I think the people in both Cleveland, Cincinatti, Charlotte, Chicago (all different size cities) would all share more in common (views/goals/lifestyle) than the suburbanites in any of these places. Suburbs by nature are generally to escape the city, where as the smaller to mid size cities, actually want to be cities. Now you could certainly go to the city, but I would think it would be hard to be part of an urban neighborhood community there, i.e. going to local shops often, local restaurants, meeting your urban neighbors, etc.
Now myself, I prefer the larger bustling city... but I find I would get along better with somebody who actually lives in the city of Cleveland, than I would with somebody who lives in Orland Park, w/ few exceptions.
I used to think otherwise, but I think if for some reason Chicago ever became super expensive (like many NY'ers who were forced to leave) I'd just go to a smaller more affordable ACTUAL CITY, rather than the burbs of Chicago. I like the day to day walkable/bikeable and faster lifestyle, more than any set amenities.

Last edited by grapico; 12-16-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think it is the sense of place and community. Most suburbs just don't have that and serve as bedroom communities to major cities. It is a tough choice but I think the option of living in a smaller city, and being in the actual city. I.E. living DT Cincinatti, Cleveland or Charlotte for instance, would be better than living in the suburbs of Chicago, and I think the people in both Cleveland, Cincinatti, Charlotte, Chicago (all different size cities) would all share more in common (views/goals/lifestyle) than the suburbanites in any of these places. Suburbs by nature are generally to escape the city, where as the smaller to mid size cities, actually want to be cities. Now you could certainly go to the city, but I would think it would be hard to be part of an urban neighborhood community there, i.e. going to local shops often, local restaurants, meeting your urban neighbors, etc.
Now myself, I prefer the larger bustling city... but I find I would get along better with somebody who actually lives in the city of Cleveland, than I would with somebody who lives in Orland Park, w/ few exceptions.
I used to think otherwise, but I think if for some reason Chicago ever became super expensive (like many NY'ers who were forced to leave) I'd just go to a smaller more affordable ACTUAL CITY, rather than the burbs of Chicago. I like the day to day walkable/bikeable and faster lifestyle, more than any set amenities.
Bold #1: I completely disagree. I have spent 55 years of my life living in towns near major cities, e.g. Pittsburgh and Denver. I've also lived in both of those cities. (Believe it or not, it was quite "hip" when I was a young adult to live in "the city".) I also lived in a "smaller to mid-size city", Champaign-Urbana, Illiniois. I just got back to the computer from answering the door to a neighbor who brought me a meal following my recent surgery. Another neighbor put out a notice via the neighborhood e-mail that I was having said surgery, and asking for meals. Within a few days, she had a list of 8 people who committed to meals (plus herself), and several others have brought food as well. My co-workers, suburbanites all, also brought food. Many people offered to give me rides, pick items up at the grocery store or the mall when they were out, etc. This kind of stuff happened in the burb where I grew up, as well. It never happened in the cities where I lived. Now, I'll grant you, Champaign was a very transient city, due to the U of IL, but people live in Pittsburgh their entire lives. In fact, some people say that Pittsburghers aren't interested in meeting new people b/c they have lots of family there. My community has a theater company, several arts shows yearly, and a hoppin' downtown (mostly restaurants).

What makes you think you'd get along better with people who live IN the city? What makes them different? Compare and contrast.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:41 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,372,068 times
Quote:
Bold #1: I completely disagree. I have spent 55 years of my life living in towns near major cities, e.g. Pittsburgh and Denver. I've also lived in both of those cities. (Believe it or not, it was quite "hip" when I was a young adult to live in "the city".) I also lived in a "smaller to mid-size city", Champaign-Urbana, Illiniois. I just got back to the computer from answering the door to a neighbor who brought me a meal following my recent surgery. Another neighbor put out a notice via the neighborhood e-mail that I was having said surgery, and asking for meals. Within a few days, she had a list of 8 people who committed to meals (plus herself), and several others have brought food as well. My co-workers, suburbanites all, also brought food. Many people offered to give me rides, pick items up at the grocery store or the mall when they were out, etc. This kind of stuff happened in the burb where I grew up, as well. It never happened in the cities where I lived. Now, I'll grant you, Champaign was a very transient city, due to the U of IL, but people live in Pittsburgh their entire lives. In fact, some people say that Pittsburghers aren't interested in meeting new people b/c they have lots of family there. My community has a theater company, several arts shows yearly, and a hoppin' downtown (mostly restaurants).

What makes you think you'd get along better with people who live IN the city? What makes them different? Compare and contrast.
I've never heard of that many people bringing food to neighbors like that. I grew up in the suburbs and it never happened.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,999,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've never heard of that many people bringing food to neighbors like that. I grew up in the suburbs and it never happened.

honestly I find nice and not nice people everywhere and in all settings, as well as those maybe not as nice.

People are people I judge each individually

Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Fair enough. Did you ever hear of it happening in the city?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
honestly I find nice and not nice people everywhere and in all settings, as well as those maybe not as nice.

People are people I judge each individually
That is a good policy. I was using my experience as an example.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Did you ever hear of it happening in the city?

Absolutely. In fact based on my experiences it happens more frequently. I think this has to do with the proximity and more use of walking and less of cars, people interact more based on my personal experience.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Absolutely. In fact based on my experiences it happens more frequently. I think this has to do with the proximity and more use of walking and less of cars, people interact more based on my personal experience.
That was not my experience in any of the cities where I lived. Most of the time, we only knew 1-2 neighbors, if that.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
That was not my experience in any of the cities where I lived. Most of the time, we only knew 1-2 neighbors, if that.

Based on time in NYC/DC/SF/Philly all but DC I found very helpful and interactive.

My experience in the burbs of Philly and DC was more a mixed bag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning