Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Did I ever say I was a better human being? Did I state that anywhere in that post? I stated my opinion that I don't see what people see in subdivisions and stripmalls. But did I say EVER that I was a "better human being".

My post offers my opinions. But I never put anybody down for subdivision living except that I don't grasp what they see in it.

Can anybody on this forum point out where I stated I was on a higher level because I don't grasp what one sees in subdivisions and stripmalls. I would appreciate it.

Anyways, I don't even live in a "urban" environment. I live in a 5K town in the middle of Dutch Amish farm land in Pennsylvania.

Thanks
When someone remarks about a neighborhood or area(composed of human beings) as being "soulless, characterless,etc" it wouldn't be hard to maybe think that the person making the statement, thought, they were a "better human being" compared to the other. After all, to many people, "soul and character", are defining characteristics of a human being and to be devoid of those aspects, would render them(the person), to not exist. Not saying that that is what you meant...just saying that it wouldn't be hard to see someone else thinking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Great . I'm glad you don't think about things that are hypothetical. What is not hypothetical is the fact the gas will never be as cheap as it was 10 years ago. Supply and Demand. The demand for gas continues to go up while the supply continues to decline.
What's your point? Who ever said gas was going to be $1.50 again?

Quote:
can't wait () for the time when the "easy" 10, 20, 30 minute commute into the city for work, entertainment, etc. becomes a significant part of the daily budget, not the "paltry" $4 a gallon, but the $6, $7, and $8 a gallon. And then we get to hear people moan and complain about how much they pay a month for gas to get to work, and how there's no more money for them to do anything and the government needs to give them more tax breaks so they can continue to live 10, 20, 30 miles from the things they use on a daily basis.
Interesting. You're hoping for gas prices to go up so many families in this country will have a hard time making ends meet? You, my friend, sound like a wonderful person.

Quote:
Me, on the other hand, know how much it costs to get around for a month. $86. I know EXACTLY how much money I need to move about the city. Can that be said for a lifestyle that revolves around a personal car?
Uh yes it can. My gas bill every month (I've calculated it) is pretty much the same. Give or take 5-10 bucks here or there. Unless I take a trip somewhere or make a long drive my driving is essentially consistent month by month.

Quote:
Here's the kicker: My monthly transportation costs would be less if the people in the suburbs moved into the city! Can you say the opposite is true? I don't think so.
And in fantasy land, I'd be a pro athlete. Oh well.

Quote:
Roughly 800,000 people use the CTA trains a day. If the number of people riding the trains doubles to about 1,600,000 a day my monthly transportation tab WILL GO DOWN. More people paying into the system means that less money is required from every rider. Plus, more people means that services can be extended, lines can be expanded, and completely new rail can be put in place.
OK. I hate public transportation.

Quote:
While people "escape" the city for a home dozens of miles away, they help to raise the cost of public transportation. 800,000 to 400,000 riders means, generally, a double in fare price to continue to offer the services that were provided at a lower price. Add to that the fact that people are using more gas on a daily basis just to live "outside" the city and gas prices have risen much faster and steadier than if a majority of people lived within a 10 minute WALK or BIKE RIDE to a variety of stores and services. Furthermore, it drives up the prices for bus fares because buses still run on oil.
This clearly isn't the country for you, then. Try Europe. I like my car. I like parking lots.

Quote:
On top of all this, A LOT of places are denied new transit options because the people not living in the city are loud and vocal in not giving money to something they don't use directly. Oblivious to the fact that if more people got off the road their gasoline expenditures for a month would fall, or remain very constant. My parents could have saved 1,000's of miles on the car, roads, and interstates and 100's of gallons of gas a year if they only stayed in the city. There is less gasoline available for you or anyone else to use because my parents wanted to live in a house with a big yard. A big yard that really isn't used for much. And a house that is far from a vast majority of things they use on a daily basis. Not selfish at all .
My big yard is used for plenty. Pool to swim in. Kids to run around and play. Pets to run and play. Room to entertain friends and family for parties.

Hey, if living in the suburbs and having a nice yard and driving a car to work makes me selfish, sign me up! I'm a big selfish SOB and proud of it.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
(1)What's your point? Who ever said gas was going to be $1.50 again?

(2)Interesting. You're hoping for gas prices to go up so many families in this country will have a hard time making ends meet? You, my friend, sound like a wonderful person.

(3)Uh yes it can. My gas bill every month (I've calculated it) is pretty much the same. Give or take 5-10 bucks here or there. Unless I take a trip somewhere or make a long drive my driving is essentially consistent month by month...

(4)OK. I hate public transportation.

(5)This clearly isn't the country for you, then. Try Europe. I like my car. I like parking lots.

(6)My big yard is used for plenty. Pool to swim in. Kids to run around and play. Pets to run and play. Room to entertain friends and family for parties...
  1. At what price point would gas have to be before you gave up driving on a DAILY basis?
  2. I get it. You can use sarcasm, but I can't. Makes sense now.
  3. That sounds great but 5-10 dollars more to fill up at a time really adds up for most people.
  4. For any particular reason?
  5. Because I currently live in America and want the FREEDOM to choose how I get places, I should move to Europe???
  6. I'm glad you use your yard. My family didn't use it enough to justify having it. Besides that, have you ever lived inside a city? Or been to different types of cities? Where I came from there were houses with big yards, pools, pool houses, multicar garages, boats, seclusion, peace and quiet... all within city limits.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:38 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Planned HOA suburbs with "winding miles of arching cul-de-sacs and curving roads" take forever for anyone in a car to navigate just to get to a main arterial road, much less work, school, amenities, etc. A suburb is just not convenient for doing those things, particularly when it takes 2-3 miles just to get out of the cul-de-sac roads that lead to the exit of the subdivision. One also gets none of the benefits of rural living because most lots are on a quarter acre or less. Want to go plant a garden? It has to be approved by the HOA. Want to go to a grocery store? It takes 15-20 minutes. Way too much waste and inefficiency. You would expect that in more isolated rural places, but not suburbs.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:30 PM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
When someone remarks about a neighborhood or area(composed of human beings) as being "soulless, characterless,etc" it wouldn't be hard to maybe think that the person making the statement, thought, they were a "better human being" compared to the other. After all, to many people, "soul and character", are defining characteristics of a human being and to be devoid of those aspects, would render them(the person), to not exist. Not saying that that is what you meant...just saying that it wouldn't be hard to see someone else thinking that.
Jesus, I guess a man isn't allowed an opinion anymore without a bunch of people trying to tear his opinion apart.

I said it, Subdivisions with off tan box housing in non-walkable areas are soulless and characterless to me.

My parents live in one of these soulless and characterless neighborhoods. I grew up in one. Must think less of my own parents too Quit analyzing a person's opinion too much. I know many suburbanites that criticized the urban neighborhoods I have lived in. The parking, the people, etc. Suburbanites criticize the city on a daily basis, but get all riled up when somebody says that their subdivision is a soulless place void of any character or style.

I say it as I see it.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Planned HOA suburbs with "winding miles of arching cul-de-sacs and curving roads" take forever for anyone in a car to navigate just to get to a main arterial road, much less work, school, amenities, etc. A suburb is just not convenient for doing those things, particularly when it takes 2-3 miles just to get out of the cul-de-sac roads that lead to the exit of the subdivision. One also gets none of the benefits of rural living because most lots are on a quarter acre or less. Want to go plant a garden? It has to be approved by the HOA. Want to go to a grocery store? It takes 15-20 minutes. Way too much waste and inefficiency. You would expect that in more isolated rural places, but not suburbs.
That's IF someone chooses to live in a subdivision. Then yes, they will have to deal with HOA fees. Which I'm okay with because all they do is take care of things that I don't have to and keep the neighborhood clean. But this is not the case for most suburbs. Since most suburbs do not consist of subdivisions. You city folks.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Jesus, I guess a man isn't allowed an opinion anymore without a bunch of people trying to tear his opinion apart.

I said it, Subdivisions with off tan box housing in non-walkable areas are soulless and characterless to me.

My parents live in one of these soulless and characterless neighborhoods. I grew up in one. Must think less of my own parents too Quit analyzing a person's opinion too much. I know many suburbanites that criticized the urban neighborhoods I have lived in. The parking, the people, etc. Suburbanites criticize the city on a daily basis, but get all riled up when somebody says that their subdivision is a soulless place void of any character or style.

I say it as I see it.
And once again I will say people like us are glad people like you are staying AWAY from these souless and characterless suburbs. We don't care whether you like them or not. We don't need you negative nathaniels around here anyway. When someone nukes the city, don't come running back to the suburbs.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I hear people talk so much trash about the suburbs in there metro region for some reason. People in the Twin Cities diss our suburbs over the internet but in person if they meet someone from the suburbs there all friendly and nice.

Chicago seems to diss on there suburbs too. epically Schaumburg (which actually seems like a really awesome suburb)

But really all i hear is "Your cookie cutter homes are too boring" "Everyone in the suburbs are sheltered and boring"

I grew up in a Suburb and i loved the Homes with large yards and Large shopping centers. I moved to a city mostly because its more convenient for me. I do like the public transportation and how i can walk a couple blocks to University Ave where i can do all my shopping and get food.
It's basically two different lifestyles, some people choose the suburb lifestyle and enjoy it, they prefer to have more room live more spread out and not dense.
Really, to me why I believe they've always gotten dissed a lot is because of the fact that many(but not all, more talking about the ones that developed post-WWII) developed greatly differently than traditional neighborhoods and communities that weren't car oriented, and largely built pre-WWII. I don't totally dislike suburbs, some of them have great assets(especially the libraries, their schools, and often their parks as well) that are often better than ones you find in big cities. And you're absolutely right that we're talking about 2 different lifestyles, here.

In fact, I sometimes do go out to the suburbs on purpose, to take advantage of the fact their libraries have MUCH better weekend and Friday hours than the Chicago libraries do. Not to mention, it's totally awful if you don't have a laptop or netbook, and want to try to go online at the very smaller branch libraries. LMAO, with the exception of the fact you might snag a computer allowing 15 minute internet access, you may as well forget about signing up for a computer to go online at branches like Bezazian and Rogers Park, and thus an easy decision to go out to libraries like Eisenhower(in Norridge), Park Ridge, Evanston, etc. instead. No complete knock against those Chicago library branches, since most CPL branches I've been to have very decent workers(one of them being a friend of mine) working at them, and work against very sad and ridiculous circumstances. One being cuts Daley instituted(and we're about to go through this s*** once again in January 2011 with Emmanuel's approved library cuts), and on top of this, Chicago library union rules don't allow volunteers to reshelve books, DVDs, etc, a change I'd greatly be in favor of.

Back to the topic, the way I see it is that some are built where you can walk at least to some places(and where it's built in a very urban style, i.e. Evanston), some are a hybrid inbetween car-oriented and walkable(Oak Lawn has always seemed to me like a cross between both styles of development depending on the part of that suburb you're in), while others require one to go insane distances to find the closest amenities. Some of you would be shocked how far away amenities are(and how much of a drive it requires), if you were to visit my uncle and aunt's subdivision outside of Athens, GA. The sec you walk outside of the subdivision, it becomes virtually not walkable past that point. And the closest convenience store is like a half mile drive west!

It's fine that some want a very secluded and driving-oriented lifestyle, but that's just not for me. I don't mind some driving, but I don't want to have to do an insane amount either. Hopefully one day, I do have the option to live somewhere that's lower density and not as crowded as Chicago, but also somewhere that isn't totally car-dependent either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
What I don't get is why so many people act like the fact that they live in an urban community automatically makes them a better human being than people that choose to live in the burbs.
Amen! I also don't like the elitism you often see from people who live in urban-oriented areas towards people who live in less dense areas. Everyone has their own preferences to the type of density and lifestyle they'd rather live in(whether it's a car-dependent suburb or a very dense area within a city), and that's all there is to this debate.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 12-09-2011 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: quick responce to a thread post I missed

Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's IF someone chooses to live in a subdivision. Then yes, they will have to deal with HOA fees. Which I'm okay with because all they do is take care of things that I don't have to and keep the neighborhood clean. But this is not the case for most suburbs. Since most suburbs do not consist of subdivisions. You city folks.
Since when do the suburbs not consist on subdivisions?! The suburbs in Houston do, the suburb I grew up in do, the one my aunt lived it did, the ones in New Orleans do, etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

I grew up in Johnson County, KS, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. Nearly the entire county consists of subdivisions and HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning