Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times

Advertisements

Checkers and shelf stockers at supermarkets in California are unionized, and the prices at those stores are cheaper than at Whole Foods. Wal-Mart has literally closed stores rather than allow them to unionize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Checkers and shelf stockers at supermarkets in California are unionized, and the prices at those stores are cheaper than at Whole Foods. Wal-Mart has literally closed stores rather than allow them to unionize.
Most supermarkets in NY state (at least downstate) are unionized as well, including the ones that are "budget" oriented.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Whole Foods is a specialty store. Their premium prices doesn't undercut their competitors. Most of the specialty stuff at Whole Foods aren't sold at regular grocery stores anyway. They don't have much union labor, but their non-union wages are much higher then at Walmart's. Maybe not as good as union wages but still competitive.
Excuses, excuses! I actually hate WF and won't go in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most supermarkets in NY state (at least downstate) are unionized as well, including the ones that are "budget" oriented.
The three mainstream chains here in metro Denver, Safeway, King Sooper's (Kroger) and Albertson's, are unionized. I don't know about Sunflower (which I do patronize), and Sprouts. Both the latter are similar to WF but don't have their 'polish' or something.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Union labor in supermarkets makes a difference in service quality IMHO.

One of my favorite things about where I live is that I'm 6 or so miles from a wal mart. Having previously lived in a rural area, I found that not setting foot in one avoids a good amoount of despair. Pallid people, harsh lighting. Like watching characters from Pink Floyd's "the wall"

Anyway they're coming in soon with one of these urban stores about 1 mile away and I'm less than happy. I don't see any net benefit to my community.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Interesting article about Trader Joe's coming to my area, vs WalMart:

Sean Maher: Is Boulder hypocritical for getting excited about Trader Joe's? - Boulder Daily Camera

Why do so many people scream bloody murder every time Walmart shows an interest in Boulder? The most common response is because it is a national chain with unfairly low prices that will hurt local merchants.

Why are low prices such a great virtue when they come from a hip California grocery store, but they are distasteful and even dangerous coming from Walmart?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
By the way, I would include Target in the list of anti-labor big boxes I wouldn't like to have doing business in my community.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Eh, he's leaving out some pertinent details. Trader Joe's is a small specialty chain of grocery stores with 300 or so locations. Half of those are in California, compared to thousands of Walmarts all over the place. They're not trying to monopolize the US market like Walmart. And they specialize in groceries. They don't try to sell you everything and the kitchen sink like Walmart does. Their wages are also well above industry average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Sean Maher: Is Boulder hypocritical for getting excited about Trader Joe's? - Boulder Daily Camera

Why do so many people scream bloody murder every time Walmart shows an interest in Boulder? The most common response is because it is a national chain with unfairly low prices that will hurt local merchants.

Why are low prices such a great virtue when they come from a hip California grocery store, but they are distasteful and even dangerous coming from Walmart?

Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Chill, Boulder.

I worked at Trader Joe's in High School in the 90s and I was paid more then as a 20 hour a week employee than most Wal Mart employees make now. They treat their staff very well and as a result they have great employees. You don't hear about TJ's skirting labor laws or hiring illegal labor.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Eh, he's leaving out some pertinent details. Trader Joe's is a small specialty chain of grocery stores with 300 or so locations. Half of those are in California, compared to thousands of Walmarts all over the place. They're not trying to monopolize the US market like Walmart. And they specialize in groceries. They don't try to sell you everything and the kitchen sink like Walmart does. Their wages are also well above industry average.
So freaking what? It's a chain. 300 stores is a lot. Grocery stores certainly sell more than groceries these days. TJ's, so I hear, sells wine. What about the "mom and pop" liquor stores, of which there are a lot here in CO?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Chill, Boulder.

I worked at Trader Joe's in High School in the 90s and I was paid more then as a 20 hour a week employee than most Wal Mart employees make now. They treat their staff very well and as a result they have great employees. You don't hear about TJ's skirting labor laws or hiring illegal labor.
I don't think that was the point of the article, which was an opinion piece. The point was hypocrisy. If you read the article itself, you saw the part about how REI located in Boulder and two local sporting goods stores went out of business. It's just that Wal Mart is held up as this "bete noire" of retail, when it's really not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning