Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
These 'spaghetti subdivisions' are common here too. Lots of windy roads and dead-ends/cul-de-sacs. In fact my suburb of 6,000 only has a few entrances...along the northern front of 2 km there's only one entrance. The suburb next to mine, built in the 50s, has about 4-5 entrances over the same distance. There are houses in my suburb as far as 800 metres from the nearest shop.
That's basically the Levittown model, much imitated. The residents often like it because people don't cut through the subdivision. It also makes the subdivision feel a bit bigger than it actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's basically the Levittown model, much imitated. The residents often like it because people don't cut through the subdivision. It also makes the subdivision feel a bit bigger than it actually is.
Not just that, burglary rates are lower in neighborhoods with lower permeability even after controlling for socioeconomic factors. Burglars basically follow into two categories: one is the meth addict crime of happenstance, the others are planned burglaries. Meth addicts are less likely to be in a neighborhood with lower permeability situated farther away from an throughfare, unless they happen to live there in which case you're f-ed. Planner-type burglars select locations along routes they are familiar with, typically along the routes they take to work since most of them have day jobs. Again, there's less likelihood of a neighborhood with lower permeability being along the route of a planner-type burglars daily route. You're even safe if you live next to one as unlike the meth addicts, they tend NOT to steal where they eat.

As far as actual effect on burglary rates, economics (home prices relative to area), instability (renter/owner occupancy, vacancy rate, and average length or residency), and permeability are all about equally important. About half important was density (households per structure), although it's basically impossible to separate out density from instability. Apartments have higher rates of vacancy than homes, shorter lengths of residence. Also greater density usually requires higher permeability. The correlation between density and burglary rates is pretty much expected. A (density) is correlated with B (permeability) and C (instability) and B and C are correlated with burglary rate, so obviously you'd expect density to be correlated with burglary rates.

For violent crime, it's the same, albeit weaker, except for density. Density is actually slightly negatively correlated for violent crime.

Basically, for crime safety, you want to live in a high-income neighborhood with low permeability located far away from the thoroughfare in an established, stable neighborhood. If you can find one with lots of multi-unit dwellings, even better, although it is very difficult to find that as most neighborhoods that are high-income, low permeability, and located far away from a thoroughfare are SFH.

It's not the only consideration, but there's rational behind why you see affluent pocket neighborhoods almost never built with high permeability next to a freeway or major thoroughfare but rather tucked in several miles off a main road. The actual land values are often much higher nearer freeways/thoroughfares since they're more convenient. Those tend to get built up with apartments and commercial. As you move farther from the freeways/thoroughfares you see the more expensive houses. It's very noticeable in the newer neighborhoods of Sacramento and its suburbs, especially planned ones such as El Dorado Hills or Natomas neighborhood in Sacramento.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-18-2012 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep the trtnd now is to even be more restrict in zoning by rsdients with house. A stated few really want to live in a commercial area and will putup with longer commutes i heavy traffic to live in quiter zoned areas.Most in fact do not want people walking thru their living area.
Can you re-post it ? I don't really understand what you trying to say.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What do you mean when you say "Canada"? It seems to me that you mean exclusively "Southern Ontario".
OP, I quoted this because I'd like you to answer. IMO that type of planning is typical in the GTA but it's not common elsewhere in Canada. I can't find a single instance of "you need to get off the arterial to reach the store" in Montreal or Quebec City.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In my suburban city, there are few houses facing the arterials. There are houses to back to the arterials. This is deliberate. Do people want to live on commercial streets in cities?
Skimming through a few street views, I found an area where arterials are not the same as commercial streets, made me think of this thread. I remember at the time I was wondering why you used the words interchangeably. Here's the commercial street of the neighborhood:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Green...313.68,,0,2.24

arterial is a block away:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Green...,8.95,,0,-2.11

few stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning