Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times

Advertisements

A lack of stores ,retail , homes and businesses and factories on the through roads and the backing of these stores ,retail , homes and businesses and factories off other street ?

I really hate this look it makes a city feel very very very very very disconnected and very very very boring looking at when driving down those roads or walking.

Canada seem to be worse than the US where they don't like to have stores ,retail , businesses and factories on the main roads it is backing off other street that can be seen from through roads where you have to drive off the through road on to other street or two to get to those stores ,retail and businesses and factories .

These types of building like two pictures above started in the 60's in the US and Canada.This started do to street hierarchy of suburbs . The arterials before the 60's the speed limit was lower and more intersection. The reason for arterials to have little to no building is to cut down on curb cuts and intersection this can pump up the arterials to almost highway like with little to no curb cuts and intersection thus higher speed limit . Also the public out cry of through traffic and dangers of pulling in and out of your drive way on the arterials .

What people don't understand is this street hierarchy that say city of 700,000 people would have only handful of arterials to get any where in the city and lots and lots of traffic on the arterials .Where older cities before 60's with population of 700,000 people would have 4 or more times the arterials to get any where in the cities thus traffic is more spread out and less traffic on the road and lower driving speed and allow more curb cuts and intersection .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM

45,433 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Because most people today don't like to live beside a steel mill, slaughterhouse or 24 hour truck stop.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 AM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
This isn't anything new. Even ancient cities and small towns have business districts and residential districts.

City planning and zoning boards really don't care if you're bored on your walk.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This isn't anything new. Even ancient cities and small towns have business districts and residential districts.

City planning and zoning boards really don't care if you're bored on your walk.

That has nothing to do with it. If people would go school and learn and stop using the internet one would learn about street hierarchy.

Now traffic engineers want traffic to move and cut down on motor vehicle accidents pulling in and out of drive ways and parking lots and this what you get very very disconnected and very boring looking at when driving down those roads or walking and less city feel and more suburb feel.

Other thing you would know if you took city planning in school is this type of system leads to superblock system that can be 1.6 KM or more apart than classic 1 mile or quarter mile.

suburb superblock ( disconnected feeling )

Trying going on foot or in car from pint A to pint B.

Older ares like this pre day the haydays of the 50's and very much so the 60's of suburban street hierarchy frown on below this tpe of city model from traffic engineers point of view.

This model would work good on low density to semi medium density but on higher density the curb cuts would cause motor vehicle accidents pulling in and out of drive ways and parking lots and people walking across busy road can cuase a accident .

The model above no one would want to live on arterials .

Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
That has nothing to do with it. If people would go school and learn and stop using the internet one would learn about street hierarchy.

Now traffic engineers want traffic to move and cut down on motor vehicle accidents pulling in and out of drive ways and parking lots and this what you get very very disconnected and very boring looking at when driving down those roads or walking and less city feel and more suburb feel.

Other thing you would know if you took city planning in school is this type of system leads to superblock system that can be 1.6 KM or more apart than classic 1 mile or quarter mile.

suburb superblock ( disconnected feeling )

Trying going on foot or in car from pint A to pint B.

Older ares like this pre day the haydays of the 50's and very much so the 60's of suburban street hierarchy frown on below this tpe of city model from traffic engineers point of view.

This model would work good on low density to semi medium density but on higher density the curb cuts would cause motor vehicle accidents pulling in and out of drive ways and parking lots and people walking across busy road can cuase a accident .

The model above no one would want to live on arterials .
In my suburban city, there are few houses facing the arterials. There are houses to back to the arterials. This is deliberate. Do people want to live on commercial streets in cities?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In my suburban city, there are few houses facing the arterials. There are houses to back to the arterials. This is deliberate. Do people want to live on commercial streets in cities?
At least in my town, yes. The cities I'm most familiar with often have apartments above stores. Though I wouldn't call most of the commercial streets arterials (not sure how you're using the term, but my image of an arterial is a fast moving multilane road).

Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At least in my town, yes. The cities I'm most familiar with often have apartments above stores. Though I wouldn't call most of the commercial streets arterials (not sure how you're using the term, but my image of an arterial is a fast moving multilane road).
You are in a small town. I'm talking about big cities. Now, there are people who like to live "downtown", but they don't live on heavy traffic streets.

Here in Louisville, arterials generally have four lanes and a higher speed limit than residential streets.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are in a small town. I'm talking about big cities. Now, there are people who like to live "downtown", but they don't live on heavy traffic streets.

Here in Louisville, arterials generally have four lanes and a higher speed limit than residential streets.
Well in my town, main street (which has apartments) can have rather heavy traffic, sometimes jamming. It has 4 lanes and traffic moves at 20-30 mph assuming it's moving.

I was referring to big cities in the second part of my post. The last big city commercial street I drove through (while lost ) looked something like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bay+R...93.37,,0,-1.02

apartments above every store. Doesn't fit your definition of arterial, but it's close to image of "city commercial street". But it's obviously nothing like the arterials the OP posted. I don't really wanted to live on a commercial street much, but if I had a choice I'd prefer the commercial street I just linked to than the type the OP described.

Downtowns often have heavy traffic. Never noticed residences limited to only low traffic streets.

In any case, the OP was describing a layout where the main roads were devoid of not only housing but stores. I'm not really that familiar with such a layout except for a main road that's almost a freeway.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

I had something more like this in mind (downtown):

Speer blvd denver - Google Maps

or this (east side):

evans ave and colorado blvd denver - Google Maps

or this (west side):
federal blvd and colfax ave denver - Google Maps

Scroll up and down these streets

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
These types of building like two pictures above started in the 60's in the US and Canada.This started do to street hierarchy of suburbs . The arterials before the 60's the speed limit was lower and more intersection. The reason for arterials to have little to no building is to cut down on curb cuts and intersection this can pump up the arterials to almost highway like with little to no curb cuts and intersection thus higher speed limit . Also the public out cry of through traffic and dangers of pulling in and out of your drive way on the arterials .
You answered your own question.

Quote:
What people don't understand is this street hierarchy that say city of 700,000 people would have only handful of arterials to get any where in the city and lots and lots of traffic on the arterials .Where older cities before 60's with population of 700,000 people would have 4 or more times the arterials to get any where in the cities thus traffic is more spread out and less traffic on the road and lower driving speed and allow more curb cuts and intersection .
The arterials are at "near highway speed"... usually posted 45 with traffic doing 50 to 55. The "arterial" in a grid is a posted 25. At rush hour, the arterial may average a speed of just 20-35 mph as you get stuck at lights; however, the grid runs only at 2-10 mph due to the more frequent intersections. This is why "gridlock" is called gridlock. It doesn't really matter that there are four times as many arterials. You have 20 times the red lights, 20 times as many people turning off, 100 times as many people pulling into private driveways, and a zillion times as many people circling around and stopping traffic when they finally find a spot to parallel park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning