Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:42 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
True, but part of the attraction to this system was that it was mostly out of sight.
Huh? I've read a ton of advocacy of bikes and never once saw someone argue bikes were invisible or could somehow be magically hidden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
A folder doesn't need a parking spot. It can be folded up in 30 seconds and tucked away in your closet or under your desk. I wonder why they aren't more popular there? Also eliminates the risk of getting stolen, which might be more of an issue here than in Amsterdam. Good for apartment dwellers because you don't want to park your bike outside in the city. It probably won't be there for long.

YouTube

Old 06-24-2013, 08:57 AM

14 posts, read 29,682 times
It's not nearly the same scale as Amsterdam, but Philadelphia also has a real shortage of bike parking. Anywhere you go around center city, you're liable to see bikes attached to street signs, parking meters, fences, rails, trees and anything else. What few bike racks there are often have two or three bikes attached to them. Philly has taken to converting single street parking spots into bike corrals that can accomodate multiple bikes, but 30th street station remains a nightmare for bike parking.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Huh? I've read a ton of advocacy of bikes and never once saw someone argue bikes were invisible or could somehow be magically hidden.
Double Huh? Follow the postings. You posted a great video on a Japanese bike rack system that hid the bikes underground. The speaker in the video says one of the good things about the system is that it frees up space above ground. I posted that in Amsterdam it may be an issue to build underground because of the water tables. You mentioned that they could build it above ground, and I responded that part of the attraction of the Japanese system was that it was mostly underground i.e. , hidden.

No one said bikes were invisible, but YOUR video shows that yes they can be hidden.

Again, huh?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Double Huh? Follow the postings. You posted a great video on a Japanese bike rack system that hid the bikes underground. The speaker in the video says one of the good things about the system is that it frees up space above ground. I posted that in Amsterdam it may be an issue to build underground because of the water tables. You mentioned that they could build it above ground, and I responded that part of the attraction of the Japanese system was that it was mostly underground i.e. , hidden.

No one said bikes were invisible, but YOUR video shows that yes they can be hidden.

Again, huh?
Hidden isn't the issue at all. Space is. Who gives a damn about the aesthetics of seeing a bike parked in public. No one ever thought it was important to hide cars either.

Space, not the view, is the issue.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM

7 posts, read 12,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
I've got a lovely idea

just kidding
Texas is huge, they definitely have the space to add all the parking they need. Personally, I'd rather see a few parks instead of all those parking lots which are an eyesore.

As far as Amsterdam's bike parking problem, when there is a problem, there is an opportunity. Perhaps opening various bike locales that stack bikes on various rows in areas that see more bike congestion. I think it would work if there were two systems, one for those who need to "park" them longer than an hour and one for those that are on the fly.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Hidden isn't the issue at all. Space is. Who gives a damn about the aesthetics of seeing a bike parked in public. No one ever thought it was important to hide cars either.

Space, not the view, is the issue.
If I had the choice of a bike park being hidden underground with open space above, or an above ground bike park, I would hope aesthetics plays a huge part in both. You're somehow giving me the impression that by hidden you mean that a hidden bike is somehow a shamed bike. Remember it's you who posted the " hidden " bike park as something interesting.
Ever been to Lyon, France? They have some of the most beautiful car parks I've ever seen, as do other cities.

Top Ten Car Parks

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-24-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
for bikes. What to do when your city runs out of room for them?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/wo...nted=1&_r=0&hp

Should it start charging? Encourging a shift to mass transit?

“When you look at the large squares, on a Friday night the place is completely covered with bikes,” he went on. “There is also a question of aesthetic values.”

“I have three,” said Timo Klein, 23, an economics student, picking one of his out from a scattering of dozens of bikes on the central Dam Square, some still usable, others clearly wrecks. “If one breaks down, I don’t have to use public transportation,” like buses or trams, which in the city’s narrow, clogged roadways are slower than bikes.
That's why i am proud to be an American.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That's why i am proud to be an American.
Huh? Because we have more space bicycles and bicycle less?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Huh? Because we have more space bicycles and bicycle less?
More car friendly, Amsterdam is beautiful but it seems like such a hassle to own a car there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning