Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:14 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am a homebody but i drive a car because i can afford one and don't want to waste my time riding around a bicycle. i had a bicycle when i was 12, I've moved on.
I know. You have long since moved on from participating in such childish, strenuous physical activities like riding a bike, walking, running, playing sports and have now proudly graduated to full-time coach potato. Physical activity and exercise are so quaint! Remember, its best not to over exert yourself while changing the channel. That's why they invented the remote control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I know. You have long since moved on from participating in such childish, strenuous physical activities like riding a bike, walking, running, playing sports and have now proudly graduated to full-time coach potato. Physical activity and exercise are so quaint! Remember, its best not to over exert yourself while changing the channel. That's why they invented the remote control.
Dang, i'm learning a lot about myself on this forum.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 PM

195 posts, read 284,253 times
Quote:
Just like a homebody. You guys will make any excuse to avoid physical activity. Florida is not a desert. If it was then you might have a valid excuse but it isn't. It has fantastic mild weather year round. Your humidity excuse only applies to some days in summer when it might get bad enough to stay indoors but what about the rest of the year? What's the excuse then?
Nobody's making excuses. Just pointing out the simple fact that people don't like to ride to work or to the store when its hot and humid outside for obvious reasons.

Quote:
And Minneapolis or Amsterdam do not have 'temperate' weather. Many will bike in freezing, snowy or rainy winter. So that disproves your claim that people will only walk or bike when the weather is perfect. They ride because they have great biking facilities despite the poor weather.
Actually I would say Amsterdam has a very temperate weather. The temperature barely makes it above 70°F in the summer, and barely drops below 30°F in the winter. To me this sounds like the perfect biking weather. Minneapolis is obviously more extreme, having very cold winters, and warm summers. I could see people biking in Amsterdam in the winter, but not in Minneapolis.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:36 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
I am a homebody but i drive a car because i can afford one and don't want to waste my time riding around a bicycle. i had a bicycle when i was 12, I've moved on.
Except if you were in Amsterdam, the distances involved daily (for those that ride) are shorter anyway, so there's little time wastage. But yes, in most places bicycling takes a bit longer but you get to be outside and moving around while still going around; the time loss from bicycling is less than many may think.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Nobody's making excuses. Just pointing out the simple fact that people don't like to ride to work or to the store when its hot and humid outside for obvious reasons.
Wrong. Amsterdam is the most humid city in Europe, more humid than Miami in fact. And everyone rides bikes in Amsterdam. So much for the people don't ride in humid weather nonsense.

Quote:
Actually I would say Amsterdam has a very temperate weather. The temperature barely makes it above 70°F in the summer, and barely drops below 30°F in the winter. To me this sounds like the perfect biking weather.

You do know 30°F is two degrees below freezing right? Two below freezing is your idea of great temperate weather for biking? I hope you're not wearing shorts when its 30°F outside because you would be a human popsicle within minutes lol.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 AM

195 posts, read 284,253 times
Quote:
Wrong. Amsterdam is the most humid city in Europe, more humid than Miami in fact. And everyone rides bikes in Amsterdam. So much for the people don't ride in humid weather nonsense.
Yes but Amsterdam is not hot. Like i said it barely makes it into the 70's in the summer.

Quote:
You do know 30°F is two degrees below freezing right? Two below freezing is your idea of great temperate weather for biking? I hope you're not wearing shorts when its 30°F outside because you would be a human popsicle within minutes lol.
So now you agree that people don't like to ride in bad weather. Glad we could come to a consensus.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yes but Amsterdam is not hot. Like i said it barely makes it into the 70's in the summer.

So now you agree that people don't like to ride in bad weather. Glad we could come to a consensus.
Wrong again on all counts but thanks for playing.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,133 times
Quote:
How can a car make you fat?
Because you are simply sitting down in a car, as opposed to exercising, like when you are on a bike. I honestly believe that one of the contributing factors to obesity here in the US is the fact that so many people don't walk, or bike to places as much as people in other countries.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Because you are simply sitting down in a car, as opposed to exercising, like when you are on a bike. I honestly believe that one of the contributing factors to obesity here in the US is the fact that so many people don't walk, or bike to places as much as people in other countries.
Driving a car doesn't preclude other forms of exercise - the many people who drive for a living yet are very fit prove that much. Also, I take exception to the implication that cars are a money-guzzling force of evil - walking everywhere barefooted would be even cheaper than biking, but people's time and comfort is worth the money to them, so they bike or (god forbid ) drive an automobile. Oh, the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Guess what, people can both drive AND ride their bikes places! And they do! I drive pretty much 100% of my trips, and I also spend most of my recreational time walking, riding my bike at my favorite parks and trails and doing other outdoors activity. I enjoy that, and I don't really give a damn about what people like you have to say about it. Even in the places you've described, people do the same I do, all over the place. What is it to you whether people want to ride a bike or don't want to ride a bike, and whatever excuse they may have for it? Why not mind your own business and carry on with your own lifestyle choices?
Indeed. And while we're at minding our own business, maybe we could get back to the original topic?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,981 times
Quote:
Just like a homebody. You guys will make any excuse to avoid physical activity. Florida is not a desert. If it was then you might have a valid excuse but it isn't. It has fantastic mild weather year round. Your humidity excuse only applies to some days in summer when it might get bad enough to stay indoors but what about the rest of the year? What's the excuse then?

And Minneapolis or Amsterdam do not have 'temperate' weather. Many will bike in freezing, snowy or rainy winter. So that disproves your claim that people will only walk or bike when the weather is perfect. They ride because they have great biking facilities despite the poor weather.
Lol wow. The fact that Florida is not a desert makes it worse. Dry heat is much more tolerable than extreme humidity. You must live up North somewhere and have never experience true summer extreme temps. If you ride your bike in dry heat, you will be uncomfortable but you will show up relatively dry. If you ride your bike to work on a humid day, you will show up sweaty, musty, and will have to take a shower. And what's the excuse for the rest of the year? How about public transit sucks and I live 20+ miles from my job?

Plus, why do people have to ride their bike to work? Is this some kinda new urbanist requirement? I see people in Atlanta, an auto-centric city, jogging before and after work as I drive to my own job. I take the time to get proper exercise (high intensity workout + light jog) after I get home around 7pm. So driving to work =/= lol you're gonna get fat. But I guess to you, that's not good enough because I still drove my car to work and I will end up fat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning