Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,866,295 times

Advertisements

^Physical activities and recreational activities could be anything.

They could be running, biking, hiking, swimming, going to the gym, snowboarding, playing baseball, dancing, etc.

None of the activity listed above (or anything else I can think of) is intrinsically tied to any certain type of development.

To suggest that urban development encourages physical activities that are strenuous enough to curb obesity does not make sense because any person can work out and burn calories, regardless where he or she lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,910,859 times
Correlation does not equal causation.

Any study that uses BMI as a personal measurement is BS.

From your own wiki link: "At an individual level, a combination of excessive food energy intake and a lack of physical activity is thought to explain most cases of obesity."

You of course conveniently left out the diet portion in your post.

Also, according to your own previous posts, including the thread topic, you think planners are the reason for obesity; you have been proven wrong on all counts, including your own links. Your own links show that Europeans WALK LESS THAN ONE MILE PER DAY, WHICH IS NOT EVEN 100 CALLORIES. I do not know why you cannot comprehend this.

It is obvious you know nothing about exercise and diets. I along with others have shown article after article refuting every claim, and you still come up with more links, yet conveniently leave out details of these links in your posts. If you actually engaged in physical activity, especially at a competitive level like I and other posters here do, you would understand all of this. Instead, you feel to take selective information, and make fallacy arguments to stubbornly make sure you are correct, instead of just learning and understanding how your thread is incorrect. Also, this is far from the first ridiculous and false thread you have made, you have made a few of them, each one refuted.

Again, city planning has nothing, zero, to do with obesity. A person is responsible to ensure they consume the appropriate amount of calories as to not gain an unhealthy body fat percent. The claim that obesity levels between Europe (A place you obviously have never lived, and I doubt you have ever visited) are because Europeans walk a whopping half mile further each day than Americans (which would mean they burned about 50 calories more) is ridiculous.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,462,469 times
How about those who are obese take responsibility for their own actions of eating too much and not moving enough?

I was there before so I'm not spewing poo I know nothing about. Unless there is an actual medical or physical issue, individuals are the cause of their own obesity. I finally figured that out after I got up to 650+ pounds. After acknowledging and accepting this responsibility I changed my entire lifestyle and lost 500 pounds over a period of 12 or so years. No surgery, no programs, no pills, no tasteless shakes, real food that is nutritional in the proper portions and I started walking.

You don't have to belong to a gym to move enough to get exercise, walking is free if you are physically able to walk.
Eating properly can be learned but it is tedious and time consuming to read labels, measure and weigh everything, make a meal plan for a week or two in advance and stick to it without binging or depriving yourself of anything.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 PM

22,029 posts, read 25,388,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
The obesity pattern in Canada seems to be a bit different with no sign of inner city obesity. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/92f0138...gure3.3-en.jpg

The data is unfortunately not very precise, but the most likely pattern seems to be big cities-->suburbs-->small cities, towns and rural areas.
There's no sign of inner city obesity in the US either. Manhattan has very low obesity as does San Francisco. If you mean "inner city" in the colloquial sense of housing projects, crime, drugs... yes. Obesity isn't tied to build environment at all. It's tied to socioeconomics. In American "inner city" is loosely used to mean ghettos for the economically marginalized eek out their existence. But that isn't really true. Plenty of inner cities are highly affluent and plenty of non-inner cities are economically marginalized. The deep south, for example, isn't urban for the most part but has a lot of the same problems.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM

42,071 posts, read 75,545,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
And none of that has anything to do with planning.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:10 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,578,764 times
If the average American eats 3,700 calories a day all I have to say is holy crap. I'm a petite 5'2" female and eat barely half of that on a good day. If I ate 3,700 calories I'd be like the Violet as the Blueberry Girl in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I'd be complete strangers with my genaltalia and if any man dared to attempt having sex with me it would only be after tossing flour in a general downward direction, while looking for a 'wet spot to insert'. 3,700 calories a day is disgusting for anyone except very tall, naturally muscular people and pro athletes.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,635,993 times
As always, it is hard to take "responsibility"; we, Americans are not known for that trait. We just do, and expect that others will just "like" whatever we do!

It is easier to bash others for pointing out the truth about why Americans are getting bigger and bigger.

Why don't you look back at the 70's demographics, and see where "obesity" levels were then. Then go back to the 60's, 50's, etc.

If you think of yourselves so high and mighty, where's Whole Foods in every subdivision? where is it? it took 6 years to get one closer to us! 6 YEARS. Ohh I know, you don't have control over that....ohh yes you do; you have access to their higher management, and can work together to bring them where you'll put the people! It's called: "proper PLANNING"! You don't dump homes next to nothing! When your builders built homes, they have plans as to where the sink goes, where the fridge goes etc....you too should plan where will people be shopping, exercising, entertaining etc. You're so stuck in political games unfortunately that you don't know what proper planning is anymore. Shameful.

It wasn't until the "subdivision" has taken epidemic and epic proportions here that people started being extremely obese...one borrowed some money, bought a big piece of land, divided it in zero lot lines, and started enticing people with: "but look what you can have here! Granite counters, look at all this space (to fit your future pounds!) etc...", and people fell for it with complete disregard to how their lifestyles would change, because now it is no longer convenient to go anywhere without a car=sitting down for long periods just to go to a movie!

Suburbia and the subdivision epidemic has encouraged the sedentary lifestyle...you can try to deny this until you're blue, its still true, and will remain true.

You put subdivisions on pastures, enlarged country roads to accommodate the new massive traffic, however, you did not bring any quality entertainment, or shopping to these people; everything is a horrible chain without any value, and there is no entertainment brought here; we visited several states and noticed this is a pattern everywhere not just here in Florida; Many homes, 200+, with NOTHING around them.

"City Planning" here in the states is a joke. It's embarrassing, and it failed elsewhere where it tried to be implemented because naturally people like to be where the people are in a city, as not everyone's born a farmer.

Why city planning is a joke? is because first they "plan" to built their homes, and as an afterthought here come the roads several years later! Where I live, they have now demolished overpasses, destroyed landscaping to built more lanes, because the "city planners" didn't expect traffic will increase with pasture building! Now you have angry drivers, slow traffic getting OUT of the pasture, and MORE sitting in traffic as it moves at 10mph!!!! Do you call that SMART? I don't. Ever seen Atlanta's traffic? 95 in South Florida? Should I even mention DC's 495?

Here's the "City Planner" job description:
City Planner: Job Description, Duties and Requirements

By the looks of our cities in America today, it sure looks like they have no degrees! Downtowns are dirty, they smell bad, store fronts look like crap, around Tampa there is a horrible epidemic of abandoned homes, and bad areas sitting on prime real estate close to downtown, downtown is dead after 5pm, and most everyone has been pushed so far out that nobody ever has a need/want to drive downtown!

Then, let's talk about transportation! Ohh wait...no such thing here! Europe, Asia have fast commuter trains, and we have NONE. Why? because we tied all the money in the military, and there is nothing left for the American Citizen that commutes to work daily here in America! We bounce and waste years on arguing legislation instead of reducing the amount of money we give the military (which is 60% of the whole budget) and start building some efficient public transit for Americans pushed on pastures (who already pay high taxes) by "smart" city planners!

We force everyone to drive, there are no light rails (electric, and great for the environment pollution speaking), where are the rails? they are not where the people are for sure! there are a few in a few downtowns around the country, yet the burbs where MOST people live are stuck driving cars STILL! Our Governor was so smart that he turned money down when he had it to built a light rail system...and you know why? because he realized that Florida was not build for public transit! It takes 2 hours by bus from Tampa to Clearwater! 2 hours! A "smart" city planner, would have thrown a new bridge over the bay, and connected a fast train! But not in America! Everything city planners do, is to try to keep people HOME on the couch getting fat! If you are a "smart' city planner, you should know that exercise goes hand in hand with eating right...so when you built on cows terrain, you should add a requirement to that builder that he installs a gym on the premise, a tennis court, or whatever else that offers exercise opportunities; know that people work long hours here, and time is limited so forcing them to drive yet to ANOTHER place to get their exercise done is ridiculous and counterintuitive.......these are amenities people NEED to live healthy lives! But again....city planners are busy creating legislation enabling greedy builders to build in remote locations, to assure we continue to depend on foreign oil to justify useless wars elsewhere because we have extra ammunition we'd like to detonate! An so one hand washes the other, and nothing ever changes for the betterment of the population! Don't believe me? great...a short trip to Florida will exemplify what I'm saying live!
Quote:
City planners may choose to specialize in transportation planning, community development and redevelopment, code enforcement, and environmental and urban design. However, those who specialize must keep the bigger picture in mind when creating plans for a city.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
As always, it is hard to take "responsibility"; we, Americans are not known for that trait. We just do, and expect that others will just "like" whatever we do!

It is easier to bash others for pointing out the truth about why Americans are getting bigger and bigger.

Why don't you look back at the 70's demographics, and see where "obesity" levels were then. Then go back to the 60's, 50's, etc.

If you think of yourselves so high and mighty, where's Whole Foods in every subdivision? where is it? it took 6 years to get one closer to us! 6 YEARS. Ohh I know, you don't have control over that....ohh yes you do; you have access to their higher management, and can work together to bring them where you'll put the people! It's called: "proper PLANNING"! You don't dump homes next to nothing! When your builders built homes, they have plans as to where the sink goes, where the fridge goes etc....you too should plan where will people be shopping, exercising, entertaining etc. You're so stuck in political games unfortunately that you don't know what proper planning is anymore. Shameful.

It wasn't until the "subdivision" has taken epidemic and epic proportions here that people started being extremely obese...one borrowed some money, bought a big piece of land, divided it in zero lot lines, and started enticing people with: "but look what you can have here! Granite counters, look at all this space (to fit your future pounds!) etc...", and people fell for it with complete disregard to how their lifestyles would change, because now it is no longer convenient to go anywhere without a car=sitting down for long periods just to go to a movie!

Suburbia and the subdivision epidemic has encouraged the sedentary lifestyle...you can try to deny this until you're blue, its still true, and will remain true.

You put subdivisions on pastures, enlarged country roads to accommodate the new massive traffic, however, you did not bring any quality entertainment, or shopping to these people; everything is a horrible chain without any value, and there is no entertainment brought here; we visited several states and noticed this is a pattern everywhere not just here in Florida; Many homes, 200+, with NOTHING around them.

"City Planning" here in the states is a joke. It's embarrassing, and it failed elsewhere where it tried to be implemented because naturally people like to be where the people are in a city, as not everyone's born a farmer.

Why city planning is a joke? is because first they "plan" to built their homes, and as an afterthought here come the roads several years later! Where I live, they have now demolished overpasses, destroyed landscaping to built more lanes, because the "city planners" didn't expect traffic will increase with pasture building! Now you have angry drivers, slow traffic getting OUT of the pasture, and MORE sitting in traffic as it moves at 10mph!!!! Do you call that SMART? I don't. Ever seen Atlanta's traffic? 95 in South Florida? Should I even mention DC's 495?

Here's the "City Planner" job description:
City Planner: Job Description, Duties and Requirements

By the looks of our cities in America today, it sure looks like they have no degrees! Downtowns are dirty, they smell bad, store fronts look like crap, around Tampa there is a horrible epidemic of abandoned homes, and bad areas sitting on prime real estate close to downtown, downtown is dead after 5pm, and most everyone has been pushed so far out that nobody ever has a need/want to drive downtown!

Then, let's talk about transportation! Ohh wait...no such thing here! Europe, Asia have fast commuter trains, and we have NONE. Why? because we tied all the money in the military, and there is nothing left for the American Citizen that commutes to work daily here in America! We bounce and waste years on arguing legislation instead of reducing the amount of money we give the military (which is 60% of the whole budget) and start building some efficient public transit for Americans pushed on pastures (who already pay high taxes) by "smart" city planners!

We force everyone to drive, there are no light rails (electric, and great for the environment pollution speaking), where are the rails? they are not where the people are for sure! there are a few in a few downtowns around the country, yet the burbs where MOST people live are stuck driving cars STILL! Our Governor was so smart that he turned money down when he had it to built a light rail system...and you know why? because he realized that Florida was not build for public transit! It takes 2 hours by bus from Tampa to Clearwater! 2 hours! A "smart" city planner, would have thrown a new bridge over the bay, and connected a fast train! But not in America! Everything city planners do, is to try to keep people HOME on the couch getting fat! If you are a "smart' city planner, you should know that exercise goes hand in hand with eating right...so when you built on cows terrain, you should add a requirement to that builder that he installs a gym on the premise, a tennis court, or whatever else that offers exercise opportunities; know that people work long hours here, and time is limited so forcing them to drive yet to ANOTHER place to get their exercise done is ridiculous and counterintuitive.......these are amenities people NEED to live healthy lives! But again....city planners are busy creating legislation enabling greedy builders to build in remote locations, to assure we continue to depend on foreign oil to justify useless wars elsewhere because we have extra ammunition we'd like to detonate! An so one hand washes the other, and nothing ever changes for the betterment of the population! Don't believe me? great...a short trip to Florida will exemplify what I'm saying live!
CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION!

Let's look at the obesity rates of the 50s and, oh, I don't know, what kind of movies people watched. There you have it, it's the movies! Or, look at the church-going levels-whadda ya know, it's the decline in church-going!

Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 AM

406 posts, read 503,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I'd be complete strangers with my genaltalia and if any man dared to attempt having sex with me it would only be after tossing flour in a general downward direction, while looking for a 'wet spot to insert'.
hahahahahahahaha

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,227,756 times
1. Digging ditches and plowing fields has been mechanized (go to a Bob Evans in a rural area sometime and look around - guts for days).
2. No basic training. 25 yr old men look like the Pillsbury Doughboy (way abnormal).
3. Steel mills closed; cubicles with male clerks sitting on their butts all day, are everywhere.
4. WalMart and Krogers rather than a store that the little lady walks to on the corner; accessible nowadays only by car.
5. Motorized carts in those stores.
5. Food Channel pushing foods designed for those who used muscle in their occupations (pasta [fancy term for noodles] is the new american staple). Fatty cheese drenching everything. Totally converted to glycogen, then gets converted to fat in today's sedentary population.
6. A pop is now 64 oz and for most, sugar sweetened, drawn up by a wide bore straw (guzzle, guzzle). Result: too much sugar in the diet and a stomach with a reset satiety level (even 32 oz is a huge volume!).
7. 18 or 24 packs of beer. Sucked down by the case. Do you realize that people used to consume maybe 3 bottles of beer when out on a toot and splurging, maybe once or twice a week?

Just to name a few.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-10-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning