Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 05:06 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
If you think having an excused absence from work or an excused absence from school is more important than your safety and that of your family...
In Georgia, you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. For many people, this means making the decision to risk their lives on icy roads to keep their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Closing in advance of a storm is also poor policy. My district doesn't make their decision until 6 AM the day of. Weather is too unpredictable to close ahead of time, only for there to be no snow/ice..............
It's a judgment call. Get a day of school in and try to beat the storm home or call off and it may not hit.

Call it right you're a genius. Call it wrong and kids spend the night at school or on buses.

After 30 years as a teacher there's one thing I've learned-1/2 the people will think you did right and the other 1/2 will disagree. And we always make up the days in June.
Ha ha! I guess I'm just used to the way my district does it.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm aware of the positives of taking transit, however, most of these people drove the cars to work, so they didn't have a lot of options going home. As I understand it, the snow started falling at mid-day, and schools/businesses decided to close around 1 PM. Now my school district has a pretty firm policy that they will not close early, once school has begun for the day. One time, when the problem was with a school itself, power outage or something like that, they did close one school early. But anyway, you have parents picking up their kids. Those of you who don't have kids (most of you on this forum) don't know how "Mama-Bear"-ish parents can get about their kids. I always preferred to let mine take the bus home in bad weather, as I didn't want to drive myself, but not all moms feel that way. So you had a real mess.
I haven't been driven to school since 8th grade. Always get to school by bus or by walking. Got to my summer job in 12th grade by subway. All my friends would walk too

Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why do you ignore the ice and just mention the snow amounts?
The ice vs snow issue completely misses the point. it was a minor weather event - ice or no, nothing like this would ever happen in a city that had a resilient network of streets. Atlanta suffered a complete paralysis that stretched into two days. Ice, snow, whatever, does not matter. If one road gets shut down in a networked city there are options - in Atlanta heart attack.

Ice is a red herring thrown out by road warriors to wedded to their own delusions to question whether they are real.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The ice vs snow issue completely misses the point. it was a minor weather event - ice or no, nothing like this would ever happen in a city that had a resilient network of streets. Atlanta suffered a complete paralysis that stretched into two days. Ice, snow, whatever, does not matter. If one road gets shut down in a networked city there are options - in Atlanta heart attack.

Ice is a red herring thrown out by road warriors to wedded to their own delusions to question whether they are real.

You've ventured out of your knowledge zone and need to quit. Damn near every city below the Mason-Dixon line will shut down for a day, likely two, with the storm Atlanta got.

A quarter inch of ice, below freezing temperatures with no solar warming and no treatment equals gridlock-on the major roads, on the secondary roads, on the rails.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:19 PM

41,971 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I haven't been driven to school since 8th grade. Always get to school by bus or by walking. Got to my summer job in 12th grade by subway. All my friends would walk too
Times have changed. Anyway, no doubt at least some of those kids being picked up by their parents were in eighth grade or younger, just like you ...

Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:

uh ICE on the ground is never a minor weather event and it takes more than a network to reroute traffic. For instance Trucks are barred from some streets where I live, Busses need to run something close to their route or they become useless trust me if you don't have clear streets the grid is useless.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You've ventured out of your knowledge zone and need to quit. Damn near every city below the Mason-Dixon line will shut down for a day, likely two, with the storm Atlanta got.

A quarter inch of ice, below freezing temperatures with no solar warming and no treatment equals gridlock-on the major roads, on the secondary roads, on the rails.
Damn near every city below the Mason-Dixon line is sprawl.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM

y'all are missing the point - this would not and could not happen in a city with a good tight, dense grid, with plentiful options both on the road and with transit. Atlanta turned a non-event into a significant disaster.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Damn near every city below the Mason-Dixon line is sprawl.

You know, you're a one trick pony.
You ***** and ***** and ***** about something that's already done and over. Game, set match.

And even in your Utopian Non-Sprawlopolis ice would shut it down. Most people don't like broken pelvises. They tend to be uncomfortable. Do you ever venture out into the air?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning