Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Perhaps many of the drug dealer's customers were arriving by car so the dealers moved some place where cars could stop by, though they could double park easily.

Besides, no cars the city also removed bus shelters.

Last edited by nei; 02-06-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Doesn't help the people who live on the streets where the dealers moved to, does it?

Talk about NIMBY ...
This is a universal truth of police patrolling, it does not end crime, just moves it to a less patrolled area.
Are you recommending that they NOT take measures to reduce crime on this street?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:22 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Hmm...well the context you don't know about is that the people on that street are among the poorest in SF and the most impacted by the drug dealers on their street.
Big freakin' deal. I do know this: Those drug dealers went somewhere. What about the people who live in the neighborhood where the dealers moved? Does no one give a crap about the impact on them?

It's outrageous to celebrate criminals moving out without taking account of where they've moved in. This is one big crime fighting FAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Are you recommending that they NOT take measures to reduce crime on this street?
I'm saying the person who brought up this topic has not mentioned the affect on the neighborhoods where the dealers have moved.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Big freakin' deal. I do know this: Those drug dealers went somewhere. What about the people who live in the neighborhood where the dealers moved? Does no one give a crap about the impact on them?

It's outrageous to celebrate criminals moving out without taking account of where they've moved in. This is one big crime fighting FAIL.

I'm saying the person who brought up this topic has not mentioned the affect on the neighborhoods where the dealers have moved.

Well, to be fair, they likely moved around in the same neighborhood. Because unfortunately, like 70% of the drug dealing is concentrated in this neighborhood. With 90% of the social services. And most of the homeless services. And the halfway houses. And 90% of the SROs

They have WAY more than their fair share of the issues.

Spreading the issues around the city would do some good. Right now, anyone with issues gets dropped of there. It is ridiculously concentrated. Guess what, I don't care where it goes, to be honest. It needs to be dispersed around SF more evenly. The people in that neighborhood put up with enough.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Perhaps many of the drug dealer's customers were arriving by car so the dealers moved some place where cars could stop by, though they could double park easily.

Besides, no cars the city also removed bus shelters.
Bus stops in SF, particularly over here, are on every block. And the blocks are very short. This would not have big impact on the residents/visitors. Even removing a stop means you would need to walk about an extra half a block in distance. Not a big problem, transit runs very frequently and the stops are frankly, spaced too closely.

The bus shelters on the entire corridor are scary places. It is the sort of area where walking around in the daytime doesn't feel particularly safe, and you will definitely pass 5 drug dealer and 5 users on virtually every block. Most doorways smell like urine, and every other doorway has someone sleeping in it at night. This is not an exaggeration.

Poverty and social services are extremely concentrated into that neighborhood for the entire city. All of the other neighborhoods dump their problems on the Tenderloin.

This might sound "mean" to you guys, but I happy that SFs poorest residents are pushing back and getting more enforcement/cleanup in their neighborhood. Particularly with all of the controversy recently over housing prices and google buses.

Open air drug dealing has been an issue in this neighborhood for 30 years...and now finally they are doing something about it..... the poor residents have been putting up with 30 years of terrible conditions....

Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This might sound "mean" to you guys, but I happy that SFs poorest residents are pushing back and getting more enforcement/cleanup in their neighborhood.
Not mean at all; my concern is that eliminating parking on one block, or two, does not stop crime, it simply moves it somewhere else. That's great for the people on the blocks that have seen a drop in crime, but what about the people who live where the crime has moved? Everyone deserves to live in a safe place, just not those with money, or connections, or loud voices.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Not difficult at all, as I pointed out it is a universal truth of police patrolling.
They can not patrol everywhere at the same time so much crime just moves to another area.

Are you suggesting that they would have been better off doing nothing in this location?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Not mean at all; my concern is that eliminating parking on one block, or two, does not stop crime, it simply moves it somewhere else. That's great for the people on the blocks that have seen a drop in crime, but what about the people who live where the crime has moved? Everyone deserves to live in a safe place, just not those with money, or connections, or loud voices.
Pretty clear you are not familiar with the neighborhood that is being discussed.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Pretty clear you are not familiar with the neighborhood that is being discussed.
Reading comprehension again ... Keep reading the sentence until you see a period. This signals the end of the thought.

The people Jade408 are describing are the ones with the loud voices.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Reading comprehension again ... Keep reading the sentence until you see a period. This signals the end of the thought.

The people Jade408 are describing are the ones with the loud voices.
Usually people whose voices are completely ignored in SF (poor people, immigrants, recovering addicts and any combo of the 3). I am happy they are yelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning