Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM

3,443 posts, read 4,461,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, one can get a degree in Urban Planning....as well as Architecture.
Architecture has long been a recognized degree and course of study (assuming you weren't referring to landscape architecture). Not so much "urban planning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78
I have a degree in Architecture and minored in Urban Planning.
Which accredited school granted that degree?
Did you learn about skyhooks there?
Did you also minor in "urbonics"?

Quote:
Clearly you think "connected" means literally, as if disconnected must mean the building is somehow floating in space. That would be an incorrect thought you are having.
No, that is the definition of "connected". So please provide us with your definition of "connected".

Quote:
Clearly you have no idea what I am talking about, or you do and you are trying to create some sort of absurd bickering. Either way, it is beginner terminology in Urban Planning and Architecture, which this happens to be an Urban Planning forum, something you have stated many times you have no interest in, yet you keep posting in a forum section that you say you have no interest in.....which is a contradiction.
I don't think you have any idea of what you are talking about. You and a select subset of self-proclaimed "urbanists" remind me of the Humpty Dumpty character from Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass (1872)
...and that's generally the problem with your communications. Urbonics 101 = you use terms commonly understood to have one meaning in a manner that is inconsistent with everyday use and you do so routinely in an equivocal fashion. "Connected", "walkable", "urban fabric", "transit", and the ridiculous debate over "park or town square" are just a few examples.

The "Humpty Dumpty" character is a literary allusion to one who is insecure and one who can't be put back together again once broken. Sure would explain your protestations and reactionary defensiveness regarding "urban" matters. Maybe it also explains the subset's need for "herding", drive for hamster-style living, and "urbonics".

Last edited by IC_deLight; 04-13-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM

905 posts, read 792,360 times
'Architecture has long been a recognized degree and course of study (assuming you weren't referring to landscape architecture). Not so much "urban planning".'

Urban Planning is an accepted academic discipline and one can get a degree from it from many accredited schools. You don't seem to like that but it's nonetheless true so deal with it some way other than being obtuse and petty.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:02 PM

3,443 posts, read 4,461,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
'Architecture has long been a recognized degree and course of study (assuming you weren't referring to landscape architecture). Not so much "urban planning".'

Urban Planning is an accepted academic discipline and one can get a degree from it from many accredited schools. You don't seem to like that but it's nonetheless true so deal with it some way other than being obtuse and petty.
Let me guess, Humpty Dumpty, you pursued "urban planning" academically for a little while?

The only folks being obtuse and petty are the self-proclaimed "urban planners" who can't seem to have their own version of definitions for common terms that changes whenever confronted with logic and reality. Maybe "urban planning" should require studying other "urban planners" so they could start out as confused as they end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning