Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 PM

3,699 posts, read 5,015,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Maybe JcPenney's can live if Sear's dies? Or maybe both r gonna die. Most malls in America have both those retailers. Lose both, then some working class and middle class communities will begin to lose their malls. Maybe their downtowns will come back?
Don't think so. Sears also has locations outside of malls that likewise would suffer. The reason why malls are suffering is they built too many too close together and then the internet showed up making it even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:27 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,782,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Don't think so. Sears also has locations outside of malls that likewise would suffer. The reason why malls are suffering is they built too many too close together and then the internet showed up making it even worse.
Not just the internet, but convenience shopping. Lifestyle centers and outlet centers just make more sense because you don't have to pay for an enclosed facility and people can drive next to the shops they want.

Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Dillards, Nordstrom's, Neiman Marcus, Lord and Taylor, and Sak's Fifth Avenue aren't going anywhere. The upper middle class families will continue to shop there. We are now even seeing more Target and Wal-Mart stores going into malls. I think Burlington Coat Factory and TJ'Maxx will most likely come in and take over many JcPenney and Sear's locations.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,042,895 times
Actually KMart Own's Sears .... Bankrupt KMart brought Sears In Bankruptcy, and then change it name to Sears Holding.

And can you spell Sears correctly?

Just like USAir (AmericanWest Took over USAir Years ago and took the USAir name) is taking over American Airlines and taking the American Name.

Continental Airlines, took over United Airlines and took the United Name ..

Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,859,449 times
I have never understood the appeal of mall department stores, especially lower end ones like JCP, Macy's, and Dillard's.

Why shop for clothes at JCP when there are dozens of mall stores that specialize in selling clothes with more variety and lower prices?

I am not surprised at all these mall "anchors" are going away. I am not a big fan of American-style malls to begin with, so hopefully malls will be drastically reshaped with the decline of their department stores.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I have never understood the appeal of mall department stores, especially lower end ones like JCP, Macy's, and Dillard's.

Why shop for clothes at JCP when there are dozens of mall stores that specialize in selling clothes with more variety and lower prices?

I am not surprised at all these mall "anchors" are going away. I am not a big fan of American-style malls to begin with, so hopefully malls will be drastically reshaped with the decline of their department stores.
I would't say Macy's and Dillards are that low-end. Some of their stuff is, but they also have higher-end lines and stuff to sell.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,983,399 times
Macy's is real low end, if you ask me. Dillard's, not so much.

Most of the more upscale malls do not have a Sear's or Penney's, at least around here.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,621,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Macy's is real low end, if you ask me.
As mentioned before, I think that might be a regional thing. Macy's is considered more mid-range here, and some of their stores do a nice presentation. Upscale malls here typically have Macy's but no Sear's or Penney's as well.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As mentioned before, I think that might be a regional thing. Macy's is considered more mid-range here, and some of their stores do a nice presentation. Upscale malls here typically have Macy's but no Sear's or Penney's as well.
yeah, exactly i know some upscale malls that have Macy's. Think of like Westside Pavillion in LA

Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,263,774 times
Malls are moving up (Saks, Bloomingdales) and down (Target, Walmart, Marshalls); if Sears or J.C. Penney goes under it will kill a few more of those in the middle, but they're the ones dying anyway.

Macy's has several tiers of stores which carry different merchandise, which is why they show up in low, mid, and high-end malls.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,621,142 times
Anyone remember Caldor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning