Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times

Advertisements

Great idea, within a friendly climate. Many of those kids (in Ohio!!) will need rides to school because walking a mile when it is 15F/-9c is just stupid. It's stupid for adults, and twice as stupid for children. They certainly won't be riding their bikes at those temperatures. The wheels will slip on the ice and breathing hard will risk harming the lungs from the rapid cooling by the intake of the air.

Do this in California or Florida and it is a great idea. This marks the first time in recorded history that urbanlife and I have ever agreed on anything. Even if he wants it everywhere and I want it only in places where the climate is reasonable, this is still a first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Great idea, within a friendly climate. Many of those kids (in Ohio!!) will need rides to school because walking a mile when it is 15F/-9c is just stupid. It's stupid for adults, and twice as stupid for children. They certainly won't be riding their bikes at those temperatures. The wheels will slip on the ice and breathing hard will risk harming the lungs from the rapid cooling by the intake of the air.

Do this in California or Florida and it is a great idea. This marks the first time in recorded history that urbanlife and I have ever agreed on anything. Even if he wants it everywhere and I want it only in places where the climate is reasonable, this is still a first.
What if it is too hot, which could actually be something to think about?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
In the first place, this thread is about placement of schools. Now unless you're going to build a whole city from scratch, you have to have some city-school cooperation going on to accomplish this. In my community, developers are required to donate land for schools (in some cases give cash in lieu of) so a neighborhood school can be built when the need arises. In the case of family-style housing, that's usually pretty quickly. I have had the opportunity to watch my community grow from a town of 5000 in 1982 to almost 20,000 toady. I have an idea how this works.

Last edited by nei; 05-13-2014 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: removed off topic discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 08:31 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:

When is it Too Hot or Cold for Outside Play - Daycare.com

It usually only gets that cold for a couple weeks (not always consecutively) during the dead of winter, in NE Ohio. (the lake may help to moderate the temperature in Lakewood, so it may get that cold even less often, there)

I don't know about bike riding, but I prefer walking on snow when the temperature is <15, because the snow hasn't melted into icy slush, and I get better traction.

Last edited by JR_C; 05-13-2014 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Fixing formatting and unwanted links

Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 AM

The childcare article talked about what to do during condition Green, Yellow and Red but did not give any specifics about temperatures. The other article is aimed at adults. Kids lose more heat than adults due to their differences in body mass.

Anecdotally, my friend and I will walk if it's above 15 degrees.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The childcare article talked about what to do during condition Green, Yellow and Red but did not give any specifics about temperatures. The other article is aimed at adults. Kids lose more heat than adults due to their differences in body mass.

Anecdotally, my friend and I will walk if it's above 15 degrees.
Scroll to the bottom of the childcare article, there is a graph.

I didn't intend to post the second article, and have edited it out.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM

So anywhere from 20-40 degrees F is the lower cut-off for outdoor play, depending on wind speed, and <30 degrees is a caution in any wind speed, meaning outdoor playtime should be shortened. Keep in mind that a two mile walk, as discussed in the OP article, could take an hour for an elementary school kid.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So anywhere from 20-40 degrees F is the lower cut-off for outdoor play, depending on wind speed, and <30 degrees is a caution in any wind speed, meaning outdoor playtime should be shortened. Keep in mind that a two mile walk, as discussed in the OP article, could take an hour for an elementary school kid.
And, conversely, the same caution should be taken whenever the temp exceeds 90.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
At least for adults, it's certainly uncomfortable. It's neither stupid nor dangerous if dressed well. If the roads are clear, biking short distances at 15°F aren't that bad. I've done so occasionally.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
At least for adults, it's certainly uncomfortable. It's neither stupid nor dangerous if dressed well. If the roads are clear, biking short distances at 15°F aren't that bad. I've done so occasionally.
You know what I find amazing? That biking and walking to work in Alaska is really really high! Alaska has one of the highest rates of active transportation to work. And isn't the weather horrible?
Local Climate Doesn’t Exert Much Influence on Biking and Walking | Streetsblog USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning