Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,456,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I suppose that you could include a large park, a small school, and a small library in every little square-mile neighborhood, but that would still only come to a fraction of those 640 acres. If all of that takes up half, that leaves 320 acres for households; you could fit 1280 households in that square mile using 1/4 acre lots, or 640 households using 1/2 acre lots. Either would fall in the range of 1500-3000 people per square mile, which is on the light side of normal range for suburban census tracts.
and room for roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Voila! You have a city that functions the same as a current city economically but where the bulk of the residents live in a country environment - urban in function but rural in form, "this penurbian city". It's not too difficult to do at all, and the only two ingredients that are keeping this from happening now is greater per capita wealth and political will. By the end of the century those two problems will likely be overcome, leaving us free to build such a city if we want to, a capability we do not have at the moment.
You also need folks that aren't praying to the densification religion. Shouldn't be hard to find though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Not necessarily "very small lot sizes," though I'm making assumptions about what you mean by that. I've brought up specific figures before to hold as examples for what certain density values actually translate in to as neighborhoods. At 7k ppsm, we're talking suburbia in California. Yes, you have neighbors, but it's by no means "crammed" in.
Well assuming 2.5 people per household that works out to 0.23 acres per household. But I have no doubt you will lose 30% or more to parks, "open space", roads, etc. so more like 0.16 acres per lot or less effective lot size and that is getting small.

Quote:
Houses have been getting bigger for at least 40 years, so I'm not sure where that line of argument comes from. Maybe you mean infill projects? Many of those are "townhomes" and, yes, land pressure has shrunk the individual lot, but, again, the house has more square feet, so it's all a wash.
It's not a wash if you want to have a backyard of your own.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Well assuming 2.5 people per household that works out to 0.23 acres per household. But I have no doubt you will lose 30% or more to parks, "open space", roads, etc. so more like 0.16 acres per lot or less effective lot size and that is getting small.

A 50x140 lot is small?

The following photos are from a neighborhood with lot sizes that are about that size, if not a little smaller:

These homes actually have 55 foot frontages.

These homes have 40 foot wide frontages.

I'd hardly call this packed in like sardines, but to each his own, I guess.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
A 50x140 lot is small?

The following photos are from a neighborhood with lot sizes that are about that size, if not a little smaller:

These homes actually have 55 foot frontages.

These homes have 40 foot wide frontages.

I'd hardly call this packed in like sardines, but to each his own, I guess.
Thank you.

As I said, 7k ppsm is suburban California. Built out, but not packed in. I appreciate the examples to illustrate what that density looks like.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
That's personal preference, and up to the consumer. But it is certainly inaccurate to say that houses are getting smaller.

Your statement is accurate IF, and only IF, we're talking about infill and specifically in reference to the footprint of the house.

Edge city tracts have given rise to the McMansion (think of it what you will, that's a discussion for another thread), and the trend only continues toward growth.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
That's personal preference, and up to the consumer. But it is certainly inaccurate to say that houses are getting smaller.

Your statement is accurate IF, and only IF, we're talking about infill and specifically in reference to the footprint of the house.

Edge city tracts have given rise to the McMansion (think of it what you will, that's a discussion for another thread), and the trend only continues toward growth.
You are imagining "statements" that I did not make.
I said lots were getting smaller. That's not the same as claiming houses were getting smaller.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,771 times
Well.. if urban sprawl continues and more and more rural land becomes gobbled up and transformed into housing developments... businesses will come. And when businesses come, jobs are created. More and more businesses, more and more job, and eventually: More urban sprawl.
]ust my opinion.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
People have to live somewhere and they make the choice of where. Urban cities are becoming too expensive to run without massive industrial or commercial taxes .It much more costly to run a massive system especially to replace things built over centuries. With the deficit the federal dollars are not going to be their for cities in coming years.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I'm becoming more and more curious-how much longer can urban sprawl continue before it can stretch out no further? As suburbs are built further and further out, commutes will get longer and longer. The distance that this continuous urban land can spread increases as more and more jobs spread further out, and as highways are upgraded, but how much further can it go before it reaches critical mass? Eventually sprawl will have to reach a point where parts of the metro are so far from one another that they can no longer be considered suburbs or even exurbs. So how will urban sprawl play out once this "critical mass" is reached?
Suburb-to-suburb commutes seem to be the rule today, not the traditional suburb-core patterns that existed in the 1950s. Who works at those far-flung office parks? Ever notice the sprouting up of suburban clinics? What about the low-wage house cleaners, fast food jobs, etc.? All those jobs aren't being created in the central city.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
You are imagining "statements" that I did not make.
I said lots were getting smaller. That's not the same as claiming houses were getting smaller.
It's easy to miss the fine detail that one can be talking about lot sizes getting smaller without consideration of the increase in house size. I think it's hard to pick those apart when I mention PPSM (here) and you respond with a comment about lot sizes and we end up conversing like they're the same thing.

Fortunately, now were speaking the same language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning