Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
@Katiana

so would you find American streets like these more attractive than mostly treeless European town centers?
Not that street, but it doesn't look like a town center, either. I thought the Cologne, Germany town center was a little overly concrete for my tastes. I wish I could post my own pictures; don't know how. Bricks, concrete, a few trees in circles of grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Are looking at the same view I am?? I'm seeing hedges, trees, grass... In general, European lots are smaller and people value their privacy, so they have fences and hedges like you see here. I find it more interesting than plain grass lawns and little landscaping.

Where is there grass in downtown Denver?? Outside of parks?
There are a lot of trees and grass along Speer Blvd. There are trees and planters, though no grass, on the 16th St. Mall. And Denver has 600,000 people, not 1100 as in that town.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7434...mJGagi653w!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7359...hw!2e0!6m1!1e1
(Well, weeds on one side.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not that street, but it doesn't look like a town center, either. I thought the Cologne, Germany town center was a little overly concrete for my tastes. I wish I could post my own pictures; don't know how. Bricks, concrete, a few trees in circles of grass.

There are a lot of trees and grass along Speer Blvd. There are trees and planters, though no grass, on the 16th St. Mall. And Denver has 600,000 people, not 1100 as in that town.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7434...mJGagi653w!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7359...hw!2e0!6m1!1e1
(Well, weeds on one side.)
Not sure what large amounts of grass on streets in a town center have to do with anything, but then again that is why some people like suburbia where every home has a large private lawn, and some people prefer walkable neighborhoods that have amenities and parks within walking distance.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not sure what large amounts of grass on streets in a town center have to do with anything, but then again that is why some people like suburbia where every home has a large private lawn, and some people prefer walkable neighborhoods that have amenities and parks within walking distance.
So condescending! LOL, "amenities". That word that means nothing. It's like when I say to a patient, "Dr. 'Who' will be in shortly". Shortly means nothing. Tell a harried mother who is trying to fix dinner that she should leaver her food on the stove and in the oven and her infant in the crib to walk her tantruming toddler to a park. I would bet denverian sends his kids outside to play in the yard once in a while when he can't take them to a park.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So condescending! LOL, "amenities". That word that means nothing. It's like when I say to a patient, "Dr. 'Who' will be in shortly". Shortly means nothing. Tell a harried mother who is trying to fix dinner that she should leaver her food on the stove and in the oven and her infant in the crib to walk her tantruming toddler to a park. I would bet denverian sends his kids outside to play in the yard once in a while when he can't take them to a park.
Amenities mean nothing? Weird, it seems like what amenities a neighborhood has to offer is an important thing that matters to many people. Maybe they don't matter to you to have things to walk to nearby, that tends to be the case for people that choose to live in suburbia.

Last time I checked, not every woman is a mother trying to fix dinner with an infant in the crib. My wife and I currently don't have a child and I do the cooking, being able to walk to a store to pick up something I need for dinner is important to me. We just found a wonderful Thai restaurant near our house that we could easily walk to if we wanted to, and then there is a bike shop across the street from their that will probably get a lot of business from me. Those are what many would call "amenities," that hardly sounds like nothing to me.

Sure, some people love having yards, when my wife and I finally buy a place, I would like it to have a small yard to use. I mean, what man doesn't love to barbecue? But I don't need a house on half an acre of land in the middle of suburbia, that sounds like too much to take care of, and last time I checked, a child can just as easily play in a small yard if the parent doesn't have time to take their child to a nearby park.

Though just because private homes have yards, doesn't mean I utilize other people's yards for my own personal use. So other homes with yards doesn't mean much to me because they are not my yards.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
the point is you did not identify "amenities". What do you mean? To some people, that means having a church of their denomination nearby. To some, it means an elementary school. I'm taking an educated guess that to you it means neither of those. Frankly, it's not a deal breaker to me if I can't walk to a Thai restaurant, or a bike shop. There is a grocery store within walking distance of my house, also a bar (so important to so many young urban dwellers, apparently). Because I am a busy working woman, I like to plan my shopping trips. I don't like to run out of stuff. There's plenty of borrowing from the neighbors, too, in my suburban neighborhood.

The bold proves my point. Many young urbanists such as you have no idea what it's like to be trying to fix dinner (mother or father) and have kids asking to go out to play.
It is impossible to identify "amenities" because it is impossible to know what is important to everyone. We all have different needs and what is things I want near me isn't going to be the same as what you want.

What about your bold point? Does someone else's needs mean my needs don't matter. Why can't a young urbanist be able to have walkable neighborhoods with things that they want within their neighborhood? And why can't a young family a small private yard within that walkable neighborhood if they choose so?

Sellwood is a neighborhood in Portland, full of single family homes with yards for children to play in, but it also has parks in walking distance, and amenities to walk to, as well as apartments for those "young urbanists" to live in and enjoy the amenities that they also enjoy. That is the neighborhood I live in.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:

And why can't a young family a small private yard within that walkable neighborhood if they choose so?
You didn't offer that option in the post I was responding to.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
The option mentioned was a large private yard. I'm not sure how the conversation got changed afterwards. In any case, the streetviews of Bremen that I linked to mostly have private yard. Amentities has been used frequently before, it's not the most precise word, but it hasn't caused problems before nor feeling of condescension.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
The bold proves my point. Many young urbanists such as you have no idea what it's like to be trying to fix dinner (mother or father) and have kids asking to go out to play.
How does that prove anything other than the obvious statement that not everyone are parents of young children?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Obviously you didn't read through my entire post before making your comments. Let me repost it so you can see where that "option" looks like in my post.

Quote:
Amenities mean nothing? Weird, it seems like what amenities a neighborhood has to offer is an important thing that matters to many people. Maybe they don't matter to you to have things to walk to nearby, that tends to be the case for people that choose to live in suburbia.

Last time I checked, not every woman is a mother trying to fix dinner with an infant in the crib. My wife and I currently don't have a child and I do the cooking, being able to walk to a store to pick up something I need for dinner is important to me. We just found a wonderful Thai restaurant near our house that we could easily walk to if we wanted to, and then there is a bike shop across the street from their that will probably get a lot of business from me. Those are what many would call "amenities," that hardly sounds like nothing to me.

Sure, some people love having yards, when my wife and I finally buy a place, I would like it to have a small yard to use. I mean, what man doesn't love to barbecue? But I don't need a house on half an acre of land in the middle of suburbia, that sounds like too much to take care of, and last time I checked, a child can just as easily play in a small yard if the parent doesn't have time to take their child to a nearby park.

Though just because private homes have yards, doesn't mean I utilize other people's yards for my own personal use. So other homes with yards doesn't mean much to me because they are not my yards.
Next time, try to read all the way through the post before jumping to conclusions.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:24 PM

^^DO allow me to repost the post to which I originally responded, that kicked off this conversation:

Quote:
I see nothing about any yards being acceptable in a "walkable neighborhood".

Not to mention, what do large amount of grass on streets in a town center have to do with either option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning