Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not that street, but it doesn't look like a town center, either. I thought the Cologne, Germany town center was a little overly concrete for my tastes. I wish I could post my own pictures; don't know how. Bricks, concrete, a few trees in circles of grass.

There are a lot of trees and grass along Speer Blvd. There are trees and planters, though no grass, on the 16th St. Mall. And Denver has 600,000 people, not 1100 as in that town.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7434...mJGagi653w!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7359...hw!2e0!6m1!1e1
(Well, weeds on one side.)
You see the exact same thing in German cities. They all have something similar to Denver's 16th St. Mall.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
So condescending! LOL, "amenities". That word that means nothing. It's like when I say to a patient, "Dr. 'Who' will be in shortly". Shortly means nothing. Tell a harried mother who is trying to fix dinner that she should leaver her food on the stove and in the oven and her infant in the crib to walk her tantruming toddler to a park. I would bet denverian sends his kids outside to play in the yard once in a while when he can't take them to a park.
Huh? Amenities like a grocery store, coffee shop, bank, restaurants... some of us do like having such things nearby, and within walking distance.

My kids play on the front porch, at neighbors' houses, and there's a park directly across the street from our house. So having parks nearby is a plus when you have kids. And the best part is, I don't have to MOW or MAINTAIN that park It takes me 10 min. to mow the little grass I have.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,455,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I thought it was a given my statement also presupposed that the remainder of the age brackets of the population have to be stagnant to increasing as well. Obviously a neighborhood can undergo a demographic transition, whereby the proportion of elderly rises and the proportion of younger people drops. This is often a result of extreme gentrification several decades out, where a neighborhood has grown so expensive that relatively few younger people can afford to live there, but those who aged in place (or have access to a big lump of capital due to the appreciation of their former home) can still make the economics work.
Doesn't require "gentrification". This can occur simply because younger people are NOT moving there or are otherwise leaving the area. The areas targeted for gentrification are usually the lower income/economically disadvantaged areas not the more expensive areas. "Gentrification" isn't usually associated with creating housing that older folks flock to in my experience.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Last things first, I don't think you've proven anything, except that your opinion is so set in concrete that you can't even figure out what I'm saying.

I never said no one lives in these "urban districts", a new undefined term for this board.

My point is that retirees are not flocking to these places; it's not some huge trend. Most. people. retire. in place! You know, some years ago, I worked for a health department that wanted to get rid of its 55+ program and instead have "case managers" for the alleged elderly. (I have to admit that 55 seems young to me now, LOL!) When they did some focus groups, they found out the clients did not want to be considered "cases" that needed to be managed. I feel the same way about looking at us Boomers as a "market". If that's all the more these developers think of me, they can stuff it!

Aging in Place Facts--Data
** Nearly 90 percent of seniors want to stay in their own homes as they age, often referred to as “aging in place.â€**

Well, in Denver, there is obviously a high demand for urban living, considering how many new condos and apartments are being built downtown. And I've heard Boomers are part of the trend.

"Fueling the shift is a change in the way cities themselves are perceived. In a 2011 National Association of Realtors poll, 19% of Americans said they wanted to live in a city, up from 13% in 2004. Many cities have become safer and cleaner, and as baby boomers retire later, they want to be downtown where they can often walk to work. Their kids gone, they don't need to worry about the quality of schools, and they don't want large houses, says. John McIlwain, a senior resident fellow at the Urban Land Institute in Washington." From the Wall St. Journal Why Baby Boomers Are Moving to Hipster Neighborhoods - WSJ

You can "retire in place" in an urban neighborhood. Personally, I'll have no need to be in a 3000 sq. ft. house once our kids go off to college. I'd prefer to live somewhere that doesn't require any yard work or snow shoveling.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I was in downtown Denver about a month ago.
Where they continue to build apartments and condos to keep up with demand. Sometimes I wonder where all the people come from. The Union Station area is basically an entire urban neighborhood that has been recently built. If no one desired an "urban lifestyle", then no one would be building all this housing downtown.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:21 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Doesn't require "gentrification". This can occur simply because younger people are NOT moving there or are otherwise leaving the area. The areas targeted for gentrification are usually the lower income/economically disadvantaged areas not the more expensive areas. "Gentrification" isn't usually associated with creating housing that older folks flock to in my experience.
As has been noted numerous times, gentrification does not have to mean the transition of an area from low income to upper/middle income. Any transfer up the economic stratum qualifies, so even middle class areas which become upper class are gentrified.

When property values appreciate enough in any environment, even otherwise "family-friendly" suburban ones, it tends to depress the number of younger adults with children. This isn't too surprising, given kids are (effectively) roommates who don't pay rent, and a family with kids requires more square footage and can pay less towards housing due to other monetary needs. Thus in higher-cost areas, all things considered, older adults with no or grown children often have the highest capability to buy into a neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
...Thus in higher-cost areas, all things considered, older adults with no or grown children often have the highest capability to buy into a neighborhood.
I haven't seen any geriatrics creating a demand for gentrification regardless of capability.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any geriatrics creating a demand for gentrification regardless of capability.
Is that just your opinion? It doesn't sound like you are following market trends if that is the case, or you aren't aware of patterns in urban developments.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is that just your opinion? It doesn't sound like you are following market trends if that is the case, or you aren't aware of patterns in urban developments.
My observations are not an opinion or the subject of debate. They are my observations.
As for "following", I'm not a "follower" - and I don't give marketing hype a second thought.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Again, one of the mistakes you're making here is associating gentrification with urban areas. As an example, check out this article about Fairfield County, Connecticut. It's a suburban area, but has continued to gentrify due to real estate appreciation. As a result the number of young adults (those aged 24-34) and very young children has fallen through the floor. The fall has been higher in more expensive towns, and lower in less-expensive ones. The prices are simply too high for young adults (who don't have accumulated capital from previously owned homes) to buy in. As the article notes, the median age in some of the most desired towns with the best school districts is higher than 45 - which is older than some retirement communities in Florida!

Last edited by eschaton; 09-29-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning