Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,323,477 times

Advertisements

(1) Dog barking as a form of noise pollution would be strictly enforced, even if your dog is barking due to someone walking in front of your house "going for a walk" as it were. First time--you're warned. Second-time--you're fined, $1000. Third time--animal confiscated, no questions asked. If you subsequently get another dog and there's another complaint--dog is immediately seized, and you will spent a week in jail. Any violations after that within 2 years would be treated as a felony.

(One other possible solution that could help--bring back segregation in apartments. That is, have some apartment complexes that are billed as "pet friendly," prioritized for people who want pets and not have to worry about someone who likes it quiet complaining, and have other apartment complexes that are billed as "quiet friendly," and no dogs whatsoever will be allowed unless they are whisper quiet 24/7. No more "mixing the cultures" as it were in that regard.)

(2) The same would go for loose unleashed dogs.

(3) At the same time, there would be a "dog park" where dogs could be taken and let loose to burn off their energy.

(4) "Rat running" in residential roads would be strictly forbidden.

(5) Design--more of a "grid" design that's easy to figure out.

(6) Along the same vein--there will be no roads changing names, and no road names re-used on totally different roads.

(7) Address numbers on the buildings would be HUGE so you can actually see them. This would be mandated, you would not have the right to have an office or building and put tiny sweepstake-sized lettering for your address numbers.

(8) On the busy roads--stop lights maybe every 2 miles, reserved for only other equally busy roads intersecting. The little dinky roads that intersect the busy roads--tough. The people on the big roads need to be able to MOVE and KEEP MOVING and not have to stop every 3 inches.

(9) Bike lanes so bicyclists can get around and not get in the way as much.

(10) Road construction would only be permitted every 10 years, and you'd have 6 months to do all that you needed for the upcoming 10 years. Get it done, then get out of the way, and STAY out of the way.

(11) Public transportation--you would not be allowed to get on the bus or subway and only go about 1/2 a mile before getting off. (I used to see this all the time in the city and I'm like "you can't walk half a mile?") It slows things down too much for people who are actually going a decent distance, as in from one side of town to the other.

(12) No "clumping" of businesses--e.g., one side of town having all the fast food joints and discount stores, to where if you're somewhere else you end up having to drive 5 miles just to go to the dollar store, yet in the section where the dollar store is they're 6 of them within half a mile. That design makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-04-2014 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 10:16 AM

978 posts, read 1,089,898 times
the dual ring village is cool.

id have three rings that are 10 stories
have it be a very big circle (the size of a cities metro area).
have one road with a roof for people biking (that would be really good for a city that rains a lot)
the other road would have a street car

thats all i got so far

Old 12-05-2014, 01:23 AM

695 posts, read 716,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
(1) Dog barking as a form of noise pollution would be strictly enforced, even if your dog is barking due to someone walking in front of your house "going for a walk" as it were. First time--you're warned. Second-time--you're fined, $1000. Third time--animal confiscated, no questions asked. If you subsequently get another dog and there's another complaint--dog is immediately seized, and you will spent a week in jail. Any violations after that within 2 years would be treated as a felony.

(10) Road construction would only be permitted every 10 years, and you'd have 6 months to do all that you needed for the upcoming 10 years. Get it done, then get out of the way, and STAY out of the way.

(11) Public transportation--you would not be allowed to get on the bus or subway and only go about 1/2 a mile before getting off. (I used to see this all the time in the city and I'm like "you can't walk half a mile?") It slows things down too much for people who are actually going a decent distance, as in from one side of town to the other.
1. My neighbor actually had his dog Debarked! I've known other people who have had this surgery done to their dogs. Perhaps that would be one of your city ordinances?

2. Road construction performed between 11pm and 4am shouldn't cause any problems. Perhaps in between the 10-year cycle minor repairs could be done during those hours?

3. Our city has Limited-Stop buses. The bus only stops at certain places along the route, but it doesn't take the freeway so it's not express service. It just makes certain stops along the main line. Perhaps your city would only have limited-stop bus service where all your bus stops are a mile or more apart.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:16 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,988,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

(One other possible solution that could help--bring back segregation in apartments. That is, have some apartment complexes that are billed as "pet friendly," prioritized for people who want pets and not have to worry about someone who likes it quiet complaining, and have other apartment complexes that are billed as "quiet friendly," and no dogs whatsoever will be allowed unless they are whisper quiet 24/7. No more "mixing the cultures" as it were in that regard.)

(2) The same would go for loose unleashed dogs.

(3) At the same time, there would be a "dog park" where dogs could be taken and let loose to burn off their energy.

(4) "Rat running" in residential roads would be strictly forbidden.

(5) Design--more of a "grid" design that's easy to figure out.

(6) Along the same vein--there will be no roads changing names, and no road names re-used on totally different roads.

(7) Address numbers on the buildings would be HUGE so you can actually see them. This would be mandated, you would not have the right to have an office or building and put tiny sweepstake-sized lettering for your address numbers.

(8) On the busy roads--stop lights maybe every 2 miles, reserved for only other equally busy roads intersecting. The little dinky roads that intersect the busy roads--tough. The people on the big roads need to be able to MOVE and KEEP MOVING and not have to stop every 3 inches.

(9) Bike lanes so bicyclists can get around and not get in the way as much.

(12) No "clumping" of businesses--e.g., one side of town having all the fast food joints and discount stores, to where if you're somewhere else you end up having to drive 5 miles just to go to the dollar store, yet in the section where the dollar store is they're 6 of them within half a mile. That design makes no sense whatsoever.
Wow, I sure am glad I don't live in your city. Treating a minor annoyance as a possible felony. If you really can't stand dogs that much move out in the country, simple as that, the level of law you're suggesting is a serious breach on our individual freedoms to have dogs, be they annoying or not.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Wow, I sure am glad I don't live in your city. Treating a minor annoyance as a possible felony. If you really can't stand dogs that much move out in the country, simple as that, the level of law you're suggesting is a serious breach on our individual freedoms to have dogs, be they annoying or not.
My ideal city would have less rules. And less strict on minor crimes. You're free to drink beer on your front porch. And smoke joint. Maybe public drinking would be allowed, as long as not drunk.

One dog rule would be clean up after your dog poop in public spots.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,988,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My ideal city would have less rules. And less strict on minor crimes. You're free to drink beer on your front porch. And smoke joint. Maybe public drinking would be allowed, as long as not drunk.

One dog rule would be clean up after your dog poop in public spots.
I'm all in support of that. Many cities already have ordinances for people to clean up after their dog, which I do believe in.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:33 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,392 times
That's one that always got me about the US of A...

I have a bunch of friends here from other countries, and they're all absolutely amazed that you can't drink in public here. In Arizona, if your front door is open, you're considered in public space. Actually had some friends get in trouble for drinking in public, when they were in their living room with the door open. No loud noises or anything, cop just happened to be walking nearby.

So, I agree. In my town drinking in public would be allowed. There'd be laws against public intoxication though. But I'd also not treat minor infractions like a felony. Drunk in public? They bring you in, let you sober up, and let you go (or, alternatively, give you a ride home. Police are there to protect and serve their citizens, not fine and jail).

Old 12-05-2014, 12:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
That's one that always got me about the US of A...

I have a bunch of friends here from other countries, and they're all absolutely amazed that you can't drink in public here. In Arizona, if your front door is open, you're considered in public space. Actually had some friends get in trouble for drinking in public, when they were in their living room with the door open. No loud noises or anything, cop just happened to be walking nearby.

So, I agree. In my town drinking in public would be allowed. There'd be laws against public intoxication though. But I'd also not treat minor infractions like a felony. Drunk in public? They bring you in, let you sober up, and let you go (or, alternatively, give you a ride home. Police are there to protect and serve their citizens, not fine and jail).
I could never understand that about conservative states. I had a friend get a ticket for drinking in public in Virginia because he was drinking a beer in his living room by the front window that was open.

Once one is on their own property, it should no longer be considered public in this sense.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I could never understand that about conservative states. I had a friend get a ticket for drinking in public in Virginia because he was drinking a beer in his living room by the front window that was open.
Not really a conservative or liberal thing, New York sometimes does the same thing. Though maybe not the living room, but porch yes.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not really a conservative or liberal thing, New York sometimes does the same thing. Though maybe not the living room, but porch yes.
True, I should say I have noticed those laws in conservative states, though there are probably liberal states as well with stupid alcohol laws like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning