Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 04:29 PM

391 posts, read 285,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Walkability doesn't work when you are a decrepit old geezer. If you are lucky you will attain that age.
Driving doesn't work either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:31 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Walkability actually matters MORE to a lot of people as they get older, hence the pretty sizeable inflow of empty-nesters and retirees from houses to city centers, particularly in places that don't crimp the condo market with liability legislation.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
I live in an extremely walkable area. I have everything I need around me and I have access to subway, trains, buses within close walking distance. But I still want my car.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:10 PM

8,873 posts, read 6,882,561 times
That's why most buildings include at least some parking, even in urban areas. The ones that don't focus instead on people without cars.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Walkability doesn't work when you are a decrepit old geezer. If you are lucky you will attain that age.
Actually it does work for you. Places that are walkable are much friendlier for wheelchairs and scooters.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
The house I'm moving from has a walk score of 0. My new house is 57. Much of what cannot be accomplished by foot can easily be accomplished by bus. With several buses running each hour and a bus stop 2 blocks away I feel like I won the lottery.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,457,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Walkability actually matters MORE to a lot of people as they get older, hence the pretty sizeable inflow of empty-nesters and retirees from houses to city centers, particularly in places that don't crimp the condo market with liability legislation.
As people get older they are probably more concerned about finances which is one huge reason they shouldn't be purchasing condominiums anywhere. Disclosing the risks and liabilities associated with condominium ownership should be enough to "crimp" the condominium market. Disneyland is for vacation, not for living.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
As people get older they are probably more concerned about finances which is one huge reason they shouldn't be purchasing condominiums anywhere. Disclosing the risks and liabilities associated with condominium ownership should be enough to "crimp" the condominium market. Disneyland is for vacation, not for living.
What are you even talking about? Lots of urban neighborhoods are full of older people who have bought condos to downsize from their larger homes that were hard for them to take care of.

And what does Disneyland have to do with owning a condo?

I get it if you wouldn't own a condo for various reasons, but there is a reason there is a market for condos out there and people are buying them.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
I live in a condo hi-rise. I certainly don't live in Disneyland. I live in a vibrant downtown with EVERYTHING in walking distance.

The area is filled with seniors who have downsized and young families. It's great.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think you need transit to be walkable. It is helpful.
This is true. I split time between two homes. Both have walkscores in the high 80s and both are only served by a bus system. Both bus systems have local circulator buses that take you to places in the specific district. Miami Beach has the South Beach Local bus that runs clockwise and counter clockwise for 25 cents a ride. Raleigh has the RLine circulator bus that only runs clockwise but it's also free.

While I like Walkscore as a resource and concept, it is only a high level indicator. It doesn't really give a value to the variety of things that are walkable. If Walkscore had a interface where i could choose from a menu what's important to me by foot, I could tailor it to my lifestyle. For example, it's completely unimportant to my daily life whether or not I can walk to an elementary school because I don't have school age children. However, I really like being able to walk to a grocery store. If Walkscore was going to put a value on public transportation systems, I'd hope that its scores would only reflect my ability to walk to subway/light rail/bus stop/bike share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning