Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:42 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Do you think Seattle will ever incorporate electric heavy/commuter rail cars like Denver has started doing, or will they probably just stick to light rail?
Yes, they call it the Sounder, and it is already up and running as a commuter rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM

479 posts, read 1,434,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Yes, they call it the Sounder, and it is already up and running as a commuter rail.
I meant electric metro-style trains, not diesel long-distance ones. Like what Chicago or Washington have.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 PM

151 posts, read 155,456 times
Quote:
Do you think Seattle will ever incorporate electric heavy/commuter rail cars like Denver has started doing, or will they probably just stick to light rail?
Quote:
I meant electric metro-style trains, not diesel long-distance ones. Like what Chicago or Washington have.
You mean heavy-rail, or rapid transit.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Then probably never unless they want to make the line electric.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Geek18 View Post
You mean heavy-rail, or rapid transit.
Correct. My understanding is that RTD is using heavy rail trains instead of light rail for its new lines because they were built along existing railways, so they are required by law to use heavy rail. Not sure if the same is true with any of Seattle's future lines.

Also, the RTD line to Littleton is along an existing railway, but it's light rail. Maybe they changed the law since that line was built?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Correct. My understanding is that RTD is using heavy rail trains instead of light rail for its new lines because they were built along existing railways, so they are required by law to use heavy rail. Not sure if the same is true with any of Seattle's future lines.

Also, the RTD line to Littleton is along an existing railway, but it's light rail. Maybe they changed the law since that line was built?
That is the case with the "ghost train", you know, the one from Westminster to Boulder? It is supposed to be operating by 2042 or 44, depending on the source. I don't know about any other heavy rail lines planned for Denver.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is the case with the "ghost train", you know, the one from Westminster to Boulder? It is supposed to be operating by 2042 or 44, depending on the source. I don't know about any other heavy rail lines planned for Denver.
Airport Train "A Line"

RTD

and the G and B lines, labelled as commuter rail. They're using the same trains Philly uses for its commuter rail. The frequency appears similar to a light rail line, so from the rider's perspective there's not much functional difference between the two. But the commuter rail lines I think wouldn't be able to run in the middle of the street as light rail can.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Denver's trains are electric commuter rail; they're a bit different from a "metro-style" train

Old 05-04-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Airport Train "A Line"

RTD

and the G and B lines, labelled as commuter rail. They're using the same trains Philly uses for its commuter rail. The frequency appears similar to a light rail line, so from the rider's perspective there's not much functional difference between the two. But the commuter rail lines I think wouldn't be able to run in the middle of the street as light rail can.
So the difference is that commuter rail runs on street level, and metro trains are elevated and/or subway? I read that BART is sort of a "transit hermaphrodite" as well: it serves the suburbs and is consider commuter rail, but runs frequently and is grade separated like metro rail. Having lived in Chicago, I envision "commuter rail" as diesel powered, peak hours only, and 25+ mile distances.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Denver's trains are electric commuter rail; they're a bit different from a "metro-style" train
Supposedly one trait of commuter rail is longer distances. That's true with the A line since the airport is halfway to Nebraska, but the G line will be RTD's shortest line, and it's commuter rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning