Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

I read that the "B line" will start limited operation this year as far as Westminster with electric motive power. But I read that extensions past there will be diesel powered. Which "begs the question," what kind of equipment will be used at that point? Dual mode locomotives, like the legendary FL9?https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_FL9 attaching diesel locomotives to electric MUs? Anyone know?

Last edited by pvande55; 05-07-2016 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Add lines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Cost mostly. It’s cheaper not to put a roof on the stations.

Then there is the “Denver weather is so great that we don’t need underground stations” crowd. Yeah, if you don’t mind waiting 15 minutes for a train in January in five degree below zero weather with a 30 mph wind blowing snow in your face.
You're talking of perhaps two-three days a year. Your opinions on Denver weather are well known to those of us on the Denver forum.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-07-2016 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:19 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're talking of perhaps two-three days a year. Your opinions on Denver weather are well known to those of us on the Denver forum.
Thank you for making my point.

Denver the only place in the world where transit riders have to freeze their asses off for two hours on the platform with absolutely no shelter, while the train operators sit on their nice warm trains, and no matter how much people beg the operators won’t open the doors to let the people come on and warm up. The type of thing that makes me happy I no longer live in Denver.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Calgary has all outdoor stations. It is much colder than Denver, and gets very ridership at a per capita basis; though train frequency is high so wait times are normally short

Old 05-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Calgary has all outdoor stations. It is much colder than Denver, and gets very ridership at a per capita basis; though train frequency is high so wait times are normally short
I have no idea where you get that information from. Calgary has excellent light rail stations. Nothing like Denver.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:09 PM

479 posts, read 1,434,200 times
Quote:
Thank you for making my point.

Denver the only place in the world where transit riders have to freeze their asses off for two hours on the platform with absolutely no shelter, while the train operators sit on their nice warm trains, and no matter how much people beg the operators won’t open the doors to let the people come on and warm up. The type of thing that makes me happy I no longer live in Denver.
At least Chicago has heating lamps at their stations

Old 05-08-2016, 04:51 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Nothing says environmentally friendly like heating the great outdoors with coal powerplants

Old 05-08-2016, 05:27 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Something like basic wind/rain/sun shelters plus wintertime heated leaning posts would do wonders.

Seattle and Portland don't see temps anywhere near as cold as Denver, rarely getting below 20 F. Denver needs shelters as least, particularly since the trains don't come very often.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Chicago also has canopies over the boarding platforms, to keep the snow and ice off the platforms. Denver doesn’t, despite the fact that Denver is near the mountains and gets a lot more snow then Chicago. They have to rely on manual labor to remove the snow from the platforms, and in major storms, it might take the crews a while to get to each station. Labor savings alone should pay for the cost of canopies over the platforms. Denver also gets bad hail storms in the summer. How would you like to get caught waiting for a train on an open air platform, with an extremely limited canopy, when a hail storm hits.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
I have no idea where you get that information from. Calgary has excellent light rail stations. Nothing like Denver.
I haven't been to either city. But looking up some of Calgary stations, some are covered on top. One of the ones I found that was covered on top was open on the sides; so hail is blocked but not wind. Other stations, perhaps less well used ones, are completely open:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0180...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning