Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why don't urban planner talk about sustainability more?
Too busy balancing all the other concerns 3 18.75%
Need more specific ideas than just "sustainability" 7 43.75%
Sustainability projects need bigger teams of experts - engineers, economist, etc 2 12.50%
Sustainability projects cost too much 2 12.50%
Other - please use the comments section 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM

13 posts, read 11,083 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum so I did a search for sustainability/sustainable/urban sustainability. What did this return? A few discussions for sure, but no main titles. Why is this? Are urban planners at all interested in sustainability?

For example, what if urban planners have too many competing pressures to think about sustainability. There are just too many applications which don't meet the required standards and pressure coming in from the outside to simply approve it anyway. The demands of these correspondences just pile up.

Or what if urban planners would love to have some urban sustainability but it's too vague and they don't know what it really means. Yes, lets have bike paths and walkability and a sustainability cake stall - That's about all there is to it, isn't it?

Hey, it's even possible that urban planners are bristling full of optimism and hope for a new dawn of urban landscape. It's obvious what needs to happen and that is why urban planning was the obvious career choice to begin with. Yet, when it comes to the crunch there are so many technical requirements that an army of consultants are required just to do one simple project! Ouch!

Or you want to make urban sustainability part of your policies but you can't get it approved because people say it will cost too much. In business or in city council... take your pick.

I'm just curious. What do you think? Have you any experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Seems vague to me.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
That's like "why should people have ethics?" Kind of a broad question. Basically we shouldn't be evil, exterminate other species without good reason, hurt our own health...

Old 05-05-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Seems vague to me.
So nybbler you reckon that sustainability is nice sounding but it would be good to have some more details? Specifics such as: the list of cool initiatives to implement...

Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's like "why should people have ethics?" Kind of a broad question. Basically we shouldn't be evil, exterminate other species without good reason, hurt our own health...
So mhays25, if sustainability is like ethics, does that mean it's a bit ridiculous to have a sustainability plan? Like having an ethics plan. This month we are going to make little old lady month, where we get everybody to help little old ladies. Next month is don't exterminate other species month... etc.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:08 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plannedcities View Post
So mhays25, if sustainability is like ethics, does that mean it's a bit ridiculous to have a sustainability plan? Like having an ethics plan. This month we are going to make little old lady month, where we get everybody to help little old ladies. Next month is don't exterminate other species month... etc.
Sustainable planning and management visions promote interconnected green space, a multi-modal transportation system, and mixed-use development. Sustainable urban planners aspire to reduce pollution and create a balance between built and natural systems. Mhays made the point that, like ethics, it's rather common sense for urban planners to consider health and environmental resources in their decisions.

The challenge that current urban planners face is that most cities are effectively built out and so most urban planning done these days is more about correcting flaws in our current infrastructure. It's safe to say that the land use strategies and infrastructure built by past generations is very flawed, and so urban planning done today is corrective and going to be inherently imperfect due to the poor state of most of our cities.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks GatsbyGatz, I get your point. Urban planning is inherently considering urban sustainability, despite being constrained by the existing environment. Would you say that sustainability is thus so deeply integrated into urban planning that this is why forum posts don't explicitly discuss it and put sustainability into the title?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM

I would love to restart the conversation with a different question. What do you think is more interesting?
- What is it like to try to implement urban sustainability?
- Why aren't urban planners talking about urban sustainability more?
- What would really help get you unstuck with urban sustainability?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Your questions are too big to answer.

If something is important it would be a "bit rediculous" to have a plan? I think you meant to say "to not have a plan"?

Sustainability is a hugely wide topic with a million potential goals. Anything from ruining less land to improving air to reducing power bills to being visibly sustainable to lease a building to reducing climate change.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:58 AM

Hey mhays,
Admittedly it is very big to answer some of these questions. Sustainability is important, as you have pointed out. To have an exhaustive discussion about the different aspects of sustainability requires more than one evening with a bottle of wine.

I do want to clarify my point. If you look at my first question it was rather focused on why the planners in the forum HERE are not talking more about sustainability. I probably could have written the title of my post better to start with. To rectify this situation I have added a poll. It's public so everyone can learn about what everyone else thinks about sustainability.

Given that it was my first post here and I didn't know that people were actually going to ignore the text following the title, I followed up with a comment (#8) that perhaps a better question was in order. I proposed three questions, saying: What do you think is more interesting?

I would love to hear what you think as you clearly believe sustainability is important.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning