Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,457,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
No fire/code official I know would have made such a statement if they didn't think it was true.
Such a statement is wholly irrelevant. It does not operate to prevent fires. It was marketing puffery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The statement from the expert stated facts about our building codes. Building codes is a major point of the London story.

Purpose of the article? Doubt anyone was worried that people would stop living in towers in Vancouver because of an event overseas.

I have been a Titanic buff for over 48 years. I've read enough to know. One doesn't " have to be there " to know history.

"Is it true that the Titanic was really believed to be “unsinkable” back in 1912, or was that belief a product of latter day myth-making? In the example quoted above, Titanic writer Walter Lord claims that the White Star line never advertised her as such. He also quotes London Times journalist Philip Howard, who wrote in 1981:

I can find no contemporary evidence that the Titanic was regarded as virtually unsinkable until after she had sunk … With hindsight we have created the myth because it makes a more dramatic metaphor."

The Unsinkable Titanic

Sorry to go off topic. here.
Yes you are way off topic and there are plenty of other sources that contradict your claim. It really doesn't matter given that the point was the difference between what people thought and actual reality.

Of course there was concern about this issue in Vancouver because it has already been infected with lots of high density housing in the form of apartments as well as condos. There was no other reason for the article to be written other than to say "it is unlikely to happen here". There is no reason to make such a claim other than to protect the apartment rental and condo markets.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 06-15-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Yes you are way off topic and there are plenty of other sources that contradict your claim. It really doesn't matter given that the point was the difference between what people thought and actual reality.

Of course there was concern about this issue in Vancouver because it has already been infected with lots of high density housing in the form of apartments as well as condos. There was no other reason for the article to be written other than to say "it is unlikely to happen here". There is no reason to make such a claim other than to protect the apartment rental and condo markets.
The housing market in Vancouver is strong...I doubt anyone was worried that the tragedy would have an effect here in Vancouver.

The purpose of the article IMO was to educate locals about the history of high-rise buildings fire codes in Vancouver. To answer any questions that automatically may have popped into their heads about building codes since so many of us live in high-rises.

Building codes, after the points about the terrible loss of life, is what people are talking about everywhere, if they are discussing this story.

Vancouver has not been infected. Vancouver is known for doing density very well. In fact it's studied. It's called Vancouverism.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post

A much more likely reason is because those considered knowledgeable wished to reassure the public that Vancouver does not share the problem of the London blocks. I would suspect this is true though it does not ensure Vancouver does not suffer from some equally bad problem of a different sort.

Very doubtful it would have any significant effect on the housing there. And if it did it is likely that those of more modern construction would go up in value while the older buildings would go down. There is no way that any great effect on the Vancouver market was likely though many who might like to move to Vancouver wish it would.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
First I've heard that mods don't want red to be used. I suggest they remove the red option.

Vancouver doesn't have it's head in the sand, the is why the building codes are so strong. Can it happen here? I said nothing is 100 percent. The article itself says " unlikely " not impossible.

I'm not really sure the point of you post? Are you suggesting because of what happened in London, that density advocates have something to answer for?

Your comment about children seemed to suggest that.
I went to a child abuse training at my church. We had to watch a video where the presenter said that every church that had a problem thought they would never have a problem. That's just human nature.

I think someone has something to answer for regarding all these deaths. People were trying to jump out of high floor windows. Yes, I think that's a problem.

Last edited by nei; 06-15-2017 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-15-2017, 03:56 PM

429 posts, read 480,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
So what do you density advocates think of this? Little kids trapped, people trying to jump from high floors, etc.
'A Number Of Fatalities' In Massive London Building Fire : NPR
I'm sorry, but this is just way off-base. This happened because of major fire safety lapses in the building and extremely poor maintenance, not because it was a dense building.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just way off-base. This happened because of major fire safety lapses in the building and extremely poor maintenance, not because it was a dense building.
Maybe it's an unavoidable problem with very tall buildings that those on the upper floors can become trapped.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:14 PM

429 posts, read 480,297 times
Quote:
Maybe it's an unavoidable problem with very tall buildings that those on the upper floors can become trapped.
Are you suggesting tall buildings shouldn't exist in the world? Because if every building was only one story, it would mean the total destruction of the natural environment, mass starvation, inaccessible basic services, etc.

The answer is stricter fire codes and better enforcement of regulations intended to prevent something like this from happening. It's not allowing developers or property managers to cut corners so they can save a buck. You'd be hard-pressed to find any residential or commercial high-rise building that meets currently accepted fire-safety building standards that has burned down. Sure, it's not technically impossible, but it's very unlikely - much more unlikely in fact than a new single-family home burning down.

As for earthquakes, all new buildings in earthquake-prone areas are required to be resilient to major seismic activity. In places like Seattle, older buildings - particularly those made of brick - are at the greatest risk. These tend not to be the tallest or densest buildings by any stretch but those that have not been retrofitted do pose a very scary threat in case of a big earthquake.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting tall buildings shouldn't exist in the world? Because if every building was only one story, it would mean the total destruction of the natural environment, mass starvation, inaccessible basic services, etc.
How completely absurd. The Chicken Little school of Urban Planning.

Quote:
The answer is stricter fire codes and better enforcement of regulations intended to prevent something like this from happening. It's not allowing developers or property managers to cut corners so they can save a buck. You'd be hard-pressed to find any residential or commercial high-rise building that meets currently accepted fire-safety building standards that has burned down. Sure, it's not technically impossible, but it's very unlikely - much more unlikely in fact than a new single-family home burning down.
Density = more people injured.
Towering Inferno 1974

There is always the next newest fire code. New and improved!

Quote:
As for earthquakes, all new buildings in earthquake-prone areas are required to be resilient to major seismic activity. In places like Seattle, older buildings - particularly those made of brick - are at the greatest risk. These tend not to be the tallest or densest buildings by any stretch but those that have not been retrofitted do pose a very scary threat in case of a big earthquake.
If it's an earthquake-prone area then that is a good reason not to be relying upon tall-tower offices and residential housing.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
People die in fires from wood-framed houses yet they're not banned. Building codes + smoke alarms alleviate much of the danger. A high rise can be designed so that the fire spreads slowly and containable, and that it's easy to evacuated. High rise fires resulting in more than a few deaths aren't particularly frequent, considering how many high rises exist around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper_fire

Quote:
I do agree that building codes are important. I have argued that over and over again on this forum. But you'll never have a perfect one, and Vancouver needs to get their heads out of the sand if they think "it'll never happen here".
Lots of other cities have as many high rises as Vancouver; presumably Vancouver would think it would as often as other developed world cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning