Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,197 times

Advertisements

Urban doesn’t always equal densely packed and density doesn’t always equal urban.

Although Disneyland lack the residential component to function as a real neighborhood, the crowds and walkablitiy score so high that it trumps any city outside of NYC. I thought the study was absurd at first but the more I think about it, the more i see it’s right.

Imagine having to LIVE on a daily bases with all those crowds and long lines. People touch shoulder to shoulder on the busiest days like if it were some super urban neighborhood. What do you guys think? Crazy or creditable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
1. Do you have a link to your article?

2. NYC is not just Manhattan

3. To answer your question, Crazy. But you have a valid point that places can be urban without having lots of housing. I don’t know if a theme park is the best example though.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:00 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Horrible comparison, IMO.

Last edited by Enean; 03-31-2018 at 05:28 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
1. Do you have a link to your article
I would gladly post a link however my account is so new that City Data won’t allow me to until I gain a few rep points overtime. This is so City Data can eliminate spam advertising accounts.

I’ll private message you it though and see if it goes through.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:52 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanolist View Post
I would gladly post a link however my account is so new that City Data won’t allow me to until I gain a few rep points overtime. This is so City Data can eliminate spam advertising accounts.

I repped you...

Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanolist View Post

Same here, and we veterans can post the link if you send it to one of us already.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
But nobody actually lives in Disneyland so it doesn't count

Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
But nobody actually lives in Disneyland so it doesn't count
Living in Disneyland sounds like a nightmarish existence.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
They should try to build suburban communities wrapped like a circle with grocery stores, restaurants, churches, banks, etc wrapped around the circle's center and within 15 minute walk. It'd be good to build bike paths the width of an average 4 lane road. There should be sidewalks or pathways behind people's houses like a lot of older towns had for firetrucks.

The houses should be built as normal looking, family friendly and suburban looking houses with wide porches, white picket fence and at least a quarter acre lot. All the streets should have sidewalks and oak trees along the way. Don't build them ugly, hipster and elitist looking skyscrapers or townhouses they always building close to the big city downtowns.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:01 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
They should try to build suburban communities wrapped like a circle with grocery stores, restaurants, churches, banks, etc wrapped around the circle's center and within 15 minute walk. It'd be good to build bike paths the width of an average 4 lane road. There should be sidewalks or pathways behind people's houses like a lot of older towns had for firetrucks.

The houses should be built as normal looking, family friendly and suburban looking houses with wide porches, white picket fence and at least a quarter acre lot. All the streets should have sidewalks and oak trees along the way. Don't build them ugly, hipster and elitist looking skyscrapers or townhouses they always building close to the big city downtowns.
Wait, you live in Florida, right?

The Walt Disney Company built a model town in your state that's supposed to be a model of what a new old-fashioned small town would look and function like.

It's called Celebration.

Anyone who saw the movie "The Truman Show" saw it - it was flimed there. It served as the "stage set" town for the raised-in-a-bubble, his-entire-life-was-a-TV-show title character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning