Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 08:34 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,510,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Why are some cities boring and other cities fun?
A good bit of it is because some cities are walkable and some aren’t. I generally find that those cities I can explore on foot are more enjoyable to visit than those I have to drive around.
I definitely agree with this! My city is not walkable at all, and many do consider it pretty boring. There's not a whole lot to do. One does have to pretty much drive everywhere. There are no streets like, for example, Newbury St (Boston) where it's a large, walkable shopping district with good restaurants that have outdoor/patio seating etc. Then of course one can just hop on the T and go to North End or something for an entirely different shopping/dining experience. Here in boring Raleigh you can well...drive from Crabtree Valley Mall to North Hills? Just not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 09:42 AM

1,228 posts, read 800,481 times
I think it also depends on where you live in the city limits. It’s a nice sunny Sunday here in Raleigh, and all the snow has finally melted. I was going to walk over to Cameron Village for lunch, and either walk or take a scooter over to Glenwood South to watch some games, and if I’m feeling ambitious I might wander over to the Capitol building and down Fayetteville Street downtown. I’ll likely then take a Lyft the 2 miles or so back home. I was stuck home with the kids earlier in the week with the schools out, so my wife has “given me the day off.” That sounds like fun to me. It’s 39 degrees and raining in Boston’s Back Bay today.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,915,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Why are some cities boring and other cities fun?
A good bit of it is because some cities are walkable and some aren’t. I generally find that those cities I can explore on foot are more enjoyable to visit than those I have to drive around.

This exactly! The only reason I would find a city boring is if it were unpleasant and difficult to walk through.

I briefly noticed this post this morning and am coming back to it after just now reading an article in the NYT titled The Urban Pedestrian Strikes Back about some cities reassessing infrastructure planning based solely on car movement efficiency. It looks at different cities around the world finally investing money in better sidewalks and the spaces around them to get more people walking and to make the city just better overall because of that design philosophy. Interestingly it mentions Raleigh’s Walk Your City movement started in 2012 as one of the catalysts of this trend so maybe it is only modestly successful in certain areas despite its goals.

When we travel as we do often, we specifically choose every place we go to based on how interesting and easy it will be to walk in and through. Which is why (rightly or wrongly) I have no burning desire to visit places like Houston or Dallas or most sunbelt cities in the South known for their sprawl and lack of pedestrian amenities and requiring a car to get around despite their other qualities and attractions which would appeal to nearly everyone including us.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,612,384 times
The less autocentric, the more fun in my experience. My favorite city neighborhoods are the ones in the NYC and Philly neighborhoods whose development predates automobiles

Old 12-16-2018, 04:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,612,384 times
Car owners probably do not prefer housing with no off street parking, but I really think the lack of is part of what makes the aforementioned NYC neighborhoods so special. And the demand is there (whether in spite of or because of), brownstones go for millions of dollars and they rarely have parking spots. Neighborhoods like this also tend to be very walkable, and are fun to just walk around, people watch, and check out businesses of all sorts.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:23 PM

839 posts, read 736,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are no boring cities only boring people.
True. Non-boring people adapt and find ways to entertain themselves, like overdosing on opioids and fentanyl, or harrassing homeless people and putting it on YouTube.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:23 PM

105 posts, read 76,208 times
Why are some cities boring and other cities fun? It all depends on how much "war on fun" they got going on.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 AM

700 posts, read 423,704 times
I agree with the walkable vs unwalkable debate. Its not a rule but sort of true for many cities.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
A couple thoughts -

Boring is subjective, and some people want it.

Most people looking for city excitement (which is what I perceive you are referring to here) move to one of the big cities (for example, Brooklyn). Therefore the people that would make a city interesting often leave for a city that already is interesting (in their minds).
Exactly. Our city, for example, has only two small strip malls, no downtown. There are no big box stores, no movie theaters, only a few restaurants. The parks are mostly playgrounds and hiking trails.

Our population has grown from 45,000 in 2010 to 65,000 today, with more new homes being built. Why?
There is very little crime, the schools are highly rated, it's dead quiet at night, and you can see the stars.
Anything we need is available 6-12 miles away in the cities at either end of ours, and major employers are 5-25 miles away, a relatively decent commute. The high school kids (there are 3 high schools within a mile or so) are the only ones complaining of it being boring, the adults like it that way.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 PM

190 posts, read 129,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Exactly. Our city, for example, has only two small strip malls, no downtown. There are no big box stores, no movie theaters, only a few restaurants. The parks are mostly playgrounds and hiking trails.

Our population has grown from 45,000 in 2010 to 65,000 today, with more new homes being built. Why?
There is very little crime, the schools are highly rated, it's dead quiet at night, and you can see the stars.
Anything we need is available 6-12 miles away in the cities at either end of ours, and major employers are 5-25 miles away, a relatively decent commute. The high school kids (there are 3 high schools within a mile or so) are the only ones complaining of it being boring, the adults like it that way.

I bet all the young people are doing lots of drugs. Boring towns and meth go together like PB and J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning