Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:26 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times

Advertisements

Obviously elevated and underground are better than at-grade because the trains dont get stuck in traffic and aren’t constrained to run shorter trains due to block size or forced to go slower due to speed restrictions.

Choosing between elevated and underground is more difficult - both have advantages and disadvantages. Here’s how I see it-

Elevated Advantages:
Cheaper to build
Nice views
Usually faster to access for riders

Elevated disadvantages:
Can look ugly and ruin neighborhood character
Can interfere with other modes like freight or bicycle/pedestrians
Riders more exposed to the elements when waiting at stations

Underground advantages:
Out of the way - doesn’t affect neighborhood aesthetics/character
Riders not exposed to elements
Doesn’t interfere with other modes

Underground disadvantages:
More expensive
Sometimes takes longer to get to platform
No views

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
With subways you go down into the bowels of the earth. Elevated stations at least you are always above ground. Also, during construction. If you go underground you never know what you're going to hit, no matter how good your utility maps.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 AM

504 posts, read 615,733 times
It depends on where you live to. For example in the fall and spring in Boston or NYC elevated stations are nice, but in winter or summer it can be very uncomfortable to be waiting outside in an elevated station so underground stations can be nicer. Although in summer the underground stations also tend to be hot and uncomfortable.

Also elevated and underground stations don't present easier access than the other automatically. Some underground stations are near the surface and very easy to access while some elevated stations have long elevators or many sets of stairs depending on the height of the elevated line.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,974,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Obviously elevated and underground are better than at-grade because the trains dont get stuck in traffic and aren’t constrained to run shorter trains due to block size or forced to go slower due to speed restrictions.

Choosing between elevated and underground is more difficult - both have advantages and disadvantages. Here’s how I see it-

Elevated Advantages:
Cheaper to build
Nice views
Usually faster to access for riders

Elevated disadvantages:
Can look ugly and ruin neighborhood character
Can interfere with other modes like freight or bicycle/pedestrians
Riders more exposed to the elements when waiting at stations

Underground advantages:
Out of the way - doesn’t affect neighborhood aesthetics/character
Riders not exposed to elements
Doesn’t interfere with other modes

Underground disadvantages:
More expensive
Sometimes takes longer to get to platform
No views

What are your thoughts?
I pretty much agree with all of this.

I live near an underground station but ride an elevated line (green line) every day. The green line is maybe atypical because it runs down a freeway and the platforms are very loud, which adds an extra negative. Still I prefer it to below ground because of the view. If I lived somewhere with weather extremes I might think differently. Ideally I would board at underground stations that didn't have too far down to go and travel elevated.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
It depends on where you live to. For example in the fall and spring in Boston or NYC elevated stations are nice, but in winter or summer it can be very uncomfortable to be waiting outside in an elevated station so underground stations can be nicer. Although in summer the underground stations also tend to be hot and uncomfortable.

Also elevated and underground stations don't present easier access than the other automatically. Some underground stations are near the surface and very easy to access while some elevated stations have long elevators or many sets of stairs depending on the height of the elevated line.
Cut and cover stations tend to be closer to the surface and those tend to be easier to access. Except in NYC where many stations have separate entrances for each direction (like for uptown and downtown) which is a big fail.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:06 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,266 times
My husband and I grew up in a beautiful RR suburb of Chicago. My parents built a home within walking distance of the train station and my father walked to and from the station. In the suburbs, the tracks were at ground level and it was very interesting to see the changing architecture and neighborhoods. The track was elevated part of the way in the city. All in all, it was, and still is, a great ride.

The RR tracks divide our hometown in half. Sometimes you get caught by a train. But the benefits far out-weigh the costs, and homes now sell for huge premiums due to the location.

I like the ground level rails best.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:21 AM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
You neglected the noise factor. Elevated = more ambient noise for the surrounding area. Subways = more noise and discomfort for passengers unless the trains have tons of sound-deadening. Having ridden in Chicago's subways made me wonder how the motormen don't go deaf.

Last edited by Bitey; 04-27-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,619 times
At grade. The car age is nearly done. Going up or down costs more.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
I prefer elevated. Best not too high off streets as Chicago's.
I like:
- you see daylight to city-scenes
- no damper even musty subways. (though Chicago's is hybrid elevated, expressway median and subway primarily core sections on a couple lines)
- rather wait outdoors then in a underground (though yes coldest winters not preferred)
- apps for phones and posted next arrival could have you wait in a coffee shop nearby and just get too the platform when train is to arrives in the bad weather. Expresway median portions. You get to see the trains passing the cars in the roadway......

Chicago's system may be old. But it has computerized cars with automated announcements (not by conductors) with clean trains and platforms. So works for me. But the subway portions are damp-musty smelling. But still is part of the system primarily in and getting near the Core.

No US city has new elevated lines? Street-cars and some subways yes.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 01:01 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
No US city has new elevated lines? Street-cars and some subways yes.
Doesn't "Street car" by definition mean that the trains run on the street? Or do you mean light rail? The green line in LA is light rail but has no grade crossings and only runs at street level for two stations where it runs in the middle of the 105 fwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning