Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If within commuting range of NYC, does this virus make you rethink where you live?
Almost definitely will consider a move for safety reasons 2 25.00%
Likely to consider moving from region when possible 1 12.50%
Considering moving when possible 1 12.50%
Unlikely to move when possible 0 0%
Abolutely will not move due to potential health risks 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 03:00 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

poll attached
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 06:16 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,937 times
I live IN NYC, and NO. This doesn’t change anything for me. And I tested positive and currently have the virus as I write this. Then again, I have already invested a good amount of time, work, and education into my career in health care and I will have to deal with stuff like this even if I did leave NYC, wherever I go... unless I completely decide to start over and change careers, which I really don’t want to do, so I’ll stay here

Old 04-27-2020, 11:18 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
I don't live anywhere close to NYC, but whether this will affect how much I'd feel comfortable moving there in the future will depend on if the federal government or American society adopts any meaningful practices to help us weather the next pandemic.

As much as I like dense urban living, I have to admit it does seem like the high population density and reliance on transit helped it spread a lot faster in NYC than other places --- other dense areas in Asia like Taiwan and Singapore haven't seen large outbreaks, but they have a mask-wearing culture and were on the ball from the start with contact tracing.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:51 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
I left NYC in 2018 due to the low quality of life I had compared to living in Boston. QOL is much higher in Boston so I took that opportunity instead. Coronavirus doesnt make me rethink NYC or Boston or Seattle or wherever... Im in NJ soon and I like it a lot and am content there.

I think the biggest draw will be how NYC bounces back after this. That will determine it for many.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
This makes me want to move to NYC more than anything.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:29 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
We flew into NYC from Europe last year, and we were appalled at the physical condition of The Big Apple. I know they're attempting to rebuild LaGuardia terminals, but it too was an embarrassment.

People talk about the quality of life there. I honestly don't know how people can financially handle the cost of living, especially with the Federal, State and City governments taxing income. And property taxes too.

All I can say is, "No Thank You" to the entire region. Give me open spaces, low taxes and local governments that agree that less is better.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:48 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
I left that region in 1972 and have never regretted it. We don't care to even visit, even without the virus.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:00 AM

504 posts, read 616,602 times
The worst affected areas per capita in the NYC region are all in the inner ring suburbs and a couple neighborhoods with a high number of people who work in service jobs that are considered essential such as the Elmhurst area in Queens. Transit and high density don't actually correlate with the per capita infection rates. Manhattan has the lowest infection rate of all the boroughs and is the most densely populated.

To answer your question I don't live in NYC now and I do plan on moving there as soon as I can after I graduate from college this spring.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
The worst affected areas per capita in the NYC region are in the outer boroughs, not the inner ring suburbs. Because commuting is very Manhattan-centric, it is likely those from the outer boroughs spend more time on public transit than those already living in Manhattan.

My town in the area has had 0.25% of the population die, about half from assisted living facilities and nearly all elderly. I want out of here, but that's not why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning