Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:20 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
To be a Texan is different than to be a Californian or Virginian. It's part of their identity. I read of young parents (dad was in the military) whose child was to be born outside of Texas. Knowing this would happen, they had brought baggies of Texas dirt with them and placed the crib on top of those bags. That made them feel better.

On another forum there was a discussion about why Texans behave as they do and it was decided that these folks have low self-esteem. They just have to be bigger and better than anyone else in every way, always.

I remember being quizzed by an old timer in an antique shop one day. He was asking me Texas history questions. I told him I didn't know the answers and didn't care, I was from California. He was not pleased. You must always literally and figuratively wave the Texas flag.
I married a Texan so calm down. Most of the time it's tongue in cheek to keep up with stereotypes. Do they love Texas? Yeah of course, just as much as I love Massachusetts! It's all good.

Back to your original post, I'm certainly not going to live in the city because of a cat. That's just so odd but at the end of the day it's your life, do what ya want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:20 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlyallergic View Post
You sound young. I have lived more years than I am going to live.
Nope, not a youngster......

I think you titled this thread poorly.....Rural Bad City Good. IMO, rural is highly superior and I would never live in a big city again. There are plenty of 'rural' areas where you could be happy if you chose to.

I wish you luck in your relocation.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:44 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
OP sounds like a real peach.

We miss our cat too. Jeep was a beautiful Maine Coon.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:11 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
What about a rural place that's also a university town? Such a place would have the benefits of sparse population, but also a hospital for the university's med school, good public transport, and other city-like services. Places that come to mind are Charlottesville VA, Ithaca NY, Hanover NH, etc etc.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:29 AM

193 posts, read 98,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I married a Texan so calm down. Most of the time it's tongue in cheek to keep up with stereotypes. Do they love Texas? Yeah of course, just as much as I love Massachusetts! It's all good. Back to your original post, I'm certainly not going to live in the city because of a cat. That's just so odd but at the end of the day it's your life, do what ya want.
I married a Texan too. He told me that because he'd been born in Texas it was ok for me to be here.
Fortunately his family moved to California when he was quite young so he grew up with manners. He was never rude, crude or ill mannered like the people I've met here. In fact, that's how you can tell a native from someone who was not raised and educated here. They have manners.

As for living in a city because of the cat, the inaccessibility of medical care is deadly for humans as well. An older woman I know couldn't help her husband when he collapsed outside, even with the neighbor's assistance. It took the ambulance 30 minutes to reach them, by then he was dead.

Some places are just full of misfits and druggies and that's the case here.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Nope, not a youngster......
I think you titled this thread poorly.....Rural Bad City Good. IMO, rural is highly superior and I would never live in a big city again. There are plenty of 'rural' areas where you could be happy if you chose to.
I wish you luck in your relocation.
Your reading comprehension is poor. Don't skim, READ what is written. Then you won't make asinine comments.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
What about a rural place that's also a university town? Such a place would have the benefits of sparse population, but also a hospital for the university's med school, good public transport, and other city-like services. Places that come to mind are Charlottesville VA, Ithaca NY, Hanover NH, etc etc.
Thanks for the suggestion but I've already found a place that will work for me.

See post #16.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
OP sounds like a real peach.
We miss our cat too. Jeep was a beautiful Maine Coon.
Your population is almost 130,000 so you don't need to go far to get what you need.
I'll bet you're a native Texan, aren't you?

Old 06-18-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am happy to met you. I didn't get the message you sent.
I am sending you a direct message. I'll include nearby places where you may have relatives.
You didn't get the DM I sent you and I didn't get the one you sent me. Not sure what the problem is.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,912 times
To HighlyAllergic: My sincere condolences for your loss. Losing a pet can be a very rough experience. I truly hope your heart heals soon. (It's been so long since I posted here, I can't recall how to quote the Original Post)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning