Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You are entrenched in your opinion and not willing to see the other point of view...i.e. a pedestrian. I said they won't work...HERE and at high traffic volume...you insist on twisting my point as if I am against all roundabouts..

Here's one for ya... Tower District rejects traffic roundabouts - Local - Fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1653094.html - broken link) Did it ever occur to you someone may be blind or visually impaired...

oh wait you don't care ...you drive!
Right, I'm never a pedestrian anywhere, especially herre one of the densest, most trafficked cities in America where there's about a million intersections per square mile.

I have seen both sides of it. I used to be opposed to them too until I experienced them and their benefits first-hand. I'm the one who changed my mind even as you reject the arguments and evidence that are contrary to your opinion -- including your own source that you provided -- because you've been hit by cars twice and you're scared you're going to get hit a third time, or something.

I never said roundabouts are perfect. But in a world where we have to weigh trade-offs, I do contend that for intersections with an equivalent traffic volume in both directions and where traffic control is warranted, they are a far better solution than conventional signal-controlled intersections. And I arrived at that conclusion after weighing the evidence instead of after refusing to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 AM

321 posts, read 721,036 times
new england is filled with them. they are totally great, but people need to learn how to drive in them.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 AM

321 posts, read 721,036 times
we call them "rotary" here in New England

Old 11-10-2009, 03:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
new england is filled with them. they are totally great, but people need to learn how to drive in them.
Um... do you really want to share the road with a whole slew of drivers who are having to relearn how to drive, thanks to the importation of roundabouts?? If insurance rates are any indication (they go down after you've got 5 years experience), it's not driving that's risky, it's learning to drive that's risky.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
According to the Florida Department of Transportation....Roundabouts have an equivalent pedestrian to car accident rate but are harder to navigate.

Bicyclists find them extremely difficult to navigate with an ACCIDENT RATE FIFTEEN TIMES that of cars.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/research-...F/FDOT_824.pdf

Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
They are a good approach, if done properly. To do so, they need to be fairly large in diameter, both to maintain a decent speed and have some separation between intersecting streets. The ones I drove a bit in the East were great. My town has replaced some stop lights with them. The problem is they crammed them into too small of a space. Makes it tough to enter and exist w/o interfering with someone else. Also very slow for larger vehicles, especially trucks.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
The newer ones are designed smaller on purpose to slow traffic down as a safety measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning