Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 PM

57 posts, read 197,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
My solution is to move to a place that hasn't experienced the boom, and if I've done my homework well, will not experience a boom anytime soon.
Chris, I enjoy reading your posts. However, I must inform you that I have been reading many articles lately on quality of life in North Dakota. In fact, on the plane from SLC to PDX, the in-flight Delta publication had a huge section on how great life/business/education/employment/outdoor opportunities are in ND.

Someone who has nefarious intentions has 'discovered' ND!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suizo View Post
Chris, I enjoy reading your posts. However, I must inform you that I have been reading many articles lately on quality of life in North Dakota. In fact, on the plane from SLC to PDX, the in-flight Delta publication had a huge section on how great life/business/education/employment/outdoor opportunities are in ND.

Jerry Lundegaard: I'm... I'm not arguing here! I'm cooperating. So there's no need to... we're doin' all we can here.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM

25,852 posts, read 18,882,275 times
Quote:

Yes, you are correct. And it sort of reminds me of the Wasatch Front when it first started getting national attention--and we see what has happened here. But it looks as though the big boom is in the western half of the state. Especially around Williston, Dickinson, and to an extent, Minot, where the oil boom is going on. Property values have jumped, housing is hard to come by, and the cost of living is way up. Of course, some folks see that as a good thing, but that's exactly the opposite of where I want to be.

On the other hand, in the eastern half of the state (I'm moving to the far northeast corner--hopefully by next summer), there isn't a huge influx. I suppose it could happen, but I don't see a boomtown mentality happening there. It's largely agricultural and small town/rural. Yes, you have Fargo and Grand Forks in the east, but they are the biggest cities in the area and would be considered pretty small cities/towns by national standards. What that means is that about 9 out of 10 modern folks are immediately going to complain about "nothing to do" in the area, and without their required "entertainment," they tend to look elsewhere. I don't know how many people I've heard the "nothing to do" comment from. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter--that's the perception. The good thing is... I don't need to have "things to do"--at least not the sorts of things that interest most folks. So that's actually a strong point.

Another thing that is a good bet for discouraging a mass exodus is the cold winter. Let's face it, ND winters are cold... really cold at times. The area I'm going to has an average January HIGH temperature 14.2 degrees. Average lows are below zero. That right there scares most folks away. It's actually quite appealing to me!

So, I don't see a huge glut of people moving to eastern North Dakota. But... if it happens, I'd stand to make quite a bit of money on the lots I bought. At this point, it's almost like stealing them, they are so low. And older homes in smaller towns in the area are crazy cheap, too--like 1940's cheap.

Okay, enough of my North Dakota advertisement. Didn't mean it to be that way, but I'm excited!

Last edited by ChrisC; 10-26-2010 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Insert month... very important!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,495 times
Default Diversity does mean Liberals

Quote:
Last week we flew into SLC and explored the northern part of Utah. Although the logistics of travelling with two babies sick from playing at Gateway Mall were one of the toughest assignments of our lives, we fulfilled most of our planned itinerary.

We were really shocked by the 'McMansion expansion' everywhere we travelled.

We really enjoyed meeting all the wonderful folks of Utah, and were rather suprised by all the abundant ethnic diversity; if you listen to this forum, there isn't enough diversity in Utah (perhaps not enough liberals?).

We enjoyed the Alpine, Logan Valley, Huntsville and Midway-Heber Valley the best. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to see the Sanpete Valley.

The weather was perfect, but it was nice to see snow on the Wasatch before we left.

We found the perfect little horse property in Wellsville and are sold on the Logan area. However, the Midway-Heber Valley is a close second.

Would like to visit the Sanpete Valley and Cedar City before we decide.
Thanks for the travel report, sounds like it will work out well for you.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:30 PM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Why would you want to add to the homogenization of the USA by having Utah become politically moderate?

In this case, moderate politics would lead to liberal politics, which would ultimately lead to the anarchist, head-in-the-clouds ultra-liberal, fiscally incompetent brand of politics that has destroyed Oregon and led to that creepy pedophile Sam Adams as Mayor of Portland .

Utah has one of the most distinct, diverse cultures in the USA. Celebrate it, don't wish some horrible form of change on it.

By the way, we are still at the exploration stage.
Believe it or not, every person who lives in Utah is not an arch conservative. A few of us even voted for Obama.

If someone wants to come to this state for any legitimate, legal reason, its really none of my business. If you want direction finding a good place to live virtually all of us are willing to help. I'd second Southern Belle's suggestion about the Heber/Midway area as a possibility. Its very Swiss and up in the mountains. Its clean and fits most of the other requirements you listed.

It doesn't exactly thrill me though to see people stating the major reason they want to come here is because they are seeking a place that fits their definition of "conservative values". I like to think of Utah as a state with a whole variety of people of all races and cultures with many different viewpoints. I would hope that someone married to someone who is non-Caucasian might be able to appreciate diversity.

So, come here if this is what you want. Live your lifestyle. Don't tell the rest of us to do it. You may find Utah--particularly around Salt Lake City--to be more like the Oregon that you left behind.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Believe it or not, every person who lives in Utah is not an arch conservative. A few of us even voted for Obama.

If someone wants to come to this state for any legitimate, legal reason, its really none of my business. If you want direction finding a good place to live virtually all of us are willing to help. I'd second Southern Belle's suggestion about the Heber/Midway area as a possibility. Its very Swiss and up in the mountains. Its clean and fits most of the other requirements you listed.

It doesn't exactly thrill me though to see people stating the major reason they want to come here is because they are seeking a place that fits their definition of "conservative values". I like to think of Utah as a state with a whole variety of people of all races and cultures with many different viewpoints. I would hope that someone married to someone who is non-Caucasian might be able to appreciate diversity.

So, come here if this is what you want. Live your lifestyle. Don't tell the rest of us to do it. You may find Utah--particularly around Salt Lake City--to be more like the Oregon that you left behind.
Very true, I am a Left-Libertarian and didn't vote for one Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah