Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM

31 posts, read 57,911 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to a mountain area with lots of outdoor activities (especially cycling), excellent schools and high-tech jobs. Isn't everyone?

Our girls are starting kindergarten and preschool next year. My husband's company is going through layoffs...so this is our chance to move...you guessed it...from California. It was either look out of state or go to San Jose. I grew up in Washington as a kid and have wanted to get out of CA for years. Our town now is GREAT (Folsom, CA)...but we would have to give it up and move to the Bay Area as I already mentioned if we were to stay in-state.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 20,358 times
Am not really an outdoor person, but there is plenty to do here and you don't have to travel far to get to it. Skiing abounds, tons of camping and atving, boating, and so many national parks.
Oh, about the biking. I see plenty of folks on bikes, but it's nothing like Portland where they remove car lanes for the bikers and you are likely to get hatcheted by a militant bicyclist for the smallest offense
We moved from Washington a year ago, and excluding the last oh 6-8 weeks the weather is better in every way.
The job market seems hot. Many of the billboards along the freeway are postings for high-tech jobs. The salaries in general might be lower than WA (maybe not) but the cost of living I find way lower. My prop taxes in WA are about $2600/yr, here for a house twice the size they are $1300/yr (in Utah county).

Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM

99 posts, read 250,669 times
My dad lives in Cameron Park, not far from Folsom, so I know your area. It's pretty close to the Sierrah Mountains, which is very nice. I grew up in Salt Lake, and you'd be even closer to the mountains (I live in Tennessee now). When I visit my dad in Cameron Park it takes an hour or more to get up to the ski resorts. In Salt Lake it takes 15-30 minutes depending on where you live.

The proximity to the Wasatch Mountain range is one of the best things about the place. You can get up Saturday morning, drive 15 minues up one of the Cottonwood Canyons, do some great hiking or mountain biking, and be back home by noon. There's also great camp sites as well surrounded by pine forests, and so forth. Even though your minutes away from the city, the campgrounds feel like you're in some remote wilderness somewhere; cool temperatures, quiet serenity, etc. I miss it.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 AM

31 posts, read 57,911 times
Thank you so much for your responses! We'll be looking into headhunters also for help with job placement. The proximity to recreation sounds amazing. We're not a skiiing family (crazy, I know) but we may become one if we're so close.

Cameron Park is nice! My mom lived there for a few years as well. She relocated to Sacramento for work; the commute to Sac was brutal.

What are your opinions on traffic in the SLC area?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetwest View Post

What are your opinions on traffic in the SLC area?
It all depends where you come from. Being from CA I laugh at what they call traffic here.

They do a lot of unique things here like add more continuous flow intersections to some of our major roads. We are one of only about 10 areas in the country to do so. Bangerter 2.0: upgrade ahead - ksl.com

They are adding more lite rail and another major north/south hwy (future Freeway).

Here is a cool video showing the 15.
YouTube - ‪I-15 North (UT), Salt Lake City, Exit 298 To Exit 313‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah