Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 PM

122 posts, read 385,261 times

Advertisements

Moving to Logan in one week. Never been there don't know what to expect.
I did read all the past Logan threads and it sounds like a nice place. But I want to hear more.

How are the public schools?
Crime?
People?
Traffic?
Fun things to do?
Please add any significant Logan fact to the list.

Please PM me if you know of a inexpensive (not sleezy) motel I can spend a few weeks at while house hunting. Also, any furnished apartments or houses? P.M. me for that also.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM

101 posts, read 470,424 times
-I have no experience, but they are plentiful, and look nice

Crime?
-not much, although I did see some graffiti today, it was more a protest
of someone cutting a tree down...

People?
People are generally nice, although its not a smile and wave kind of nice.
They just keep to themselves really(out side of church)

Traffic?
Cache Valley has some of the worst drivers in the state,(stop signs, red lights and speed limit signs are all apparently optional here)
but as far as traffic volume, its ok, you'll learn which ways to drive to avoid most of it.if you get off of work at 5pm, just wait 30 minutes, most of the traffic will dissipate.

Fun things to do?
Bear Lake is very popular, Hiking in the canyon, Camping in the canyon,
Biking(cycling)... The County Fair is coming up this weekend.

Hunt for a house quickly, hotels get costly...
If you are here for USU, then there are plenty of rentals on the market,
specifically targeted at students.
The Herald Journal Serving Logan and Cache Valley

I would stay away from Caldwell Banker realty, for rentals, they take
incredibly long to approve applications, and were really bad to deal with.

Look in the local paper, you'll find a local person to rent from.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 29,105 times
Logan is absolutely terrific. I moved up here 2 years ago, not even expecting anything and it's a great place.

I would try to stay away from Logan High and go for the other high schools...I've heard a few bad things from them but nothing on the others
Crime? It's one of the lowest in the country
People? Very nice! I haven't met anyone I didn't like
Traffic? Stay off of Main street on Fridays and Saturday, they will get backed up!!! Take the off roads like 200 East or 300 East to get from North to South
Fun things to do? Definitely Bear Lake, the two canyons, First Dam, hiking and camping on the mountains that are only 2 miles away.....there are many things to do.

Logan Inn would be the best place to stay for a while.

Also, for what Phazed-Coug said regarding Caldwell Banker-it is true! I tried going through them and just for filling out the application cost me $16 and they didn't find me a place. They were unfriendly and unhelpful.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info JLH and Coug. We were looking to enroll my student at Logan High. It looks good from the internet but I've never been there or visited.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 29,022 times
We just moved to Logan less than one month ago, but before that I lived here in the 80"s as a student at USU and we have visited here on vacation 1-2 times/year since then. Coming out of Las Vegas, NV, we have found Logan to be the perfect place for family! We were able to afford a home here, but not in Vegas. The neighbors have been friendly, but not intrusive.

Our daughter will be going to Logan High, and when we went to check on registration, which starts on Monday 8/13, the staff was friendly, knowledgeable and well organized. I was amazed at the choice of courses offered (I wish I could go)! Logan High is set up very similar to a college, with 5 buildings and the main building being 4 floors. There seem to be some "rumors" that Logan High is not one of the best schools in this valley, but I believe that stems from the fact that LH is the largest school and in the most populated area. Obviously, the larger the student body, the more problems potentially exist. But if you come from a place like we came from, the problems are less than alarming.

Crime seems to be minimal at best. My friends have lived here since the 80's and raised three children (the youngest now 16) and have never locked the doors to their home, or their cars, and their ATV's and snowmobiles sit in their yard with the key in them, and they have never had a problem.

You don't necessarily have to live in Logan. There are many outlying cities within Cache Valley if you don't mind driving just a few extra minutes. We were actually trying to buy a home outside Logan city limits, but the home we fell in love with was inside. We are not at all disappointed! The value of our home has already increased, the neiborhood has been incredibly peaceful and we are centrally located to shopping, the city pools, hospital, schools and bus transportation. (Busses are free - paid for by State Sales Tax - which is lower than you may think.)

The list of things to do here is extensive! Many nearby canyons and Idaho about 25 miles North. If you love the outdoors, you will love it here! Hiking, biking, skiing (downhill and cross-country), ATVing, snowmobiling, snowplay, snowshoeing, fishing (a BUNCH of places!), camping, horseback riding, boating, and just about anything else you can think of! We own a motorcycle and love to ride and there are miles and miles to cover here! I don't think that you will be disappointed!!!!!

Last edited by coolcats; 08-11-2007 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Removed last paragraph -- no specific realtor references please.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeBuddy View Post
We just moved to Logan less than one month ago, but before that I lived here in the 80"s as a student at USU and we have visited here on vacation 1-2 times/year since then. Coming out of Las Vegas, NV, we have found Logan to be the perfect place for family! We were able to afford a home here, but not in Vegas. The neighbors have been friendly, but not intrusive.

Our daughter will be going to Logan High, and when we went to check on registration, which starts on Monday 8/13, the staff was friendly, knowledgeable and well organized. I was amazed at the choice of courses offered (I wish I could go)! Logan High is set up very similar to a college, with 5 buildings and the main building being 4 floors. There seem to be some "rumors" that Logan High is not one of the best schools in this valley, but I believe that stems from the fact that LH is the largest school and in the most populated area. Obviously, the larger the student body, the more problems potentially exist. But if you come from a place like we came from, the problems are less than alarming.

Crime seems to be minimal at best. My friends have lived here since the 80's and raised three children (the youngest now 16) and have never locked the doors to their home, or their cars, and their ATV's and snowmobiles sit in their yard with the key in them, and they have never had a problem.

You don't necessarily have to live in Logan. There are many outlying cities within Cache Valley if you don't mind driving just a few extra minutes. We were actually trying to buy a home outside Logan city limits, but the home we fell in love with was inside. We are not at all disappointed! The value of our home has already increased, the neiborhood has been incredibly peaceful and we are centrally located to shopping, the city pools, hospital, schools and bus transportation. (Busses are free - paid for by State Sales Tax - which is lower than you may think.)

The list of things to do here is extensive! Many nearby canyons and Idaho about 25 miles North. If you love the outdoors, you will love it here! Hiking, biking, skiing (downhill and cross-country), ATVing, snowmobiling, snowplay, snowshoeing, fishing (a BUNCH of places!), camping, horseback riding, boating, and just about anything else you can think of! We own a motorcycle and love to ride and there are miles and miles to cover here! I don't think that you will be disappointed!!!!!

Thank you so much for the info. Maybe Logan High is a little rougher than most perfect small town schools in Utah, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the schools my son has gone to. It seems to have an excellent career guidnance program too!

We'll be neighbors in a week!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 29,022 times
I'm glad it helped! That was the first time I had ever been to this site and signed up so I could give you my feedback. I know that you will find Logan a good place to live. Maybe our kids will meet at school, that would be really neat! Our daughter will be in the 10th grade, what year will your son be entering?
My husband flipped an ATV on July 24 (a state holiday here) and I cannot say enough good things about the hospitals, staff and ambulance personnel. And he was hospitalized in Logan and Ogden! Both places were just AMAZING! Not to mention, the hospital bills were MUCH lower than I had anticipated. I'm very glad that we have finally moved back to where people matter the most!
We spent this weekend visiting the Cache County Fair and Rodeo, just one of the many things that this valley has to offer. Very family oriented in every aspect and they encourage all family members to participate, from the very young to the very old. I saw the most amazing quilts and crocheted afghans from every age group, not to mention vegetables, homemade foods, artwork and even in the rodeo events. There are many different clubs and organizations, and you don't need to be Mormon to participate. There are also many different types of churches here. Being a college town, it is very diversified.
Hope your move goes well! Maybe we will meet someday!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 PM

46 posts, read 234,374 times
I agree with the info jlh0520 gave you. The valley has two school districts. Logan city schools run Logan High and Cache Valley SD runs both Skyview (north end) and Mountain Crest (south). As far as size goes Logan is actually the smallest of the three, recently moving down a classification to 3A while the other two are still 4A. This doesn't really impact anything except who they compete against in sporting events.

Logan has the lowest crime rate in the nation compared to like sized communities. Not my opinion, you can check the FBI crime info. This will probably change as Logan just recently became large enough to show up on the national report. There was a shooting at a city park a couple of years ago but it was the first in at least a couple of decades.
One of your first stops should be the travel bureau, they are in the old courthouse on the corner of 200 North and Main.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-15-2007 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: removed email address/advertising

Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2timex View Post
There was a shooting at a city park a couple of years ago but it was the first in at least a couple of decades.
I find that extremely hard to believe. But I guess it's possible.

But yes, it's a nice town, great people, peaceful, very little crime. I don't know why anyone should worry about Logan High at all. So it's not the best? Big whoop.

But really, I don't think anyone in Logan knows that north-south roads outside of Main Street exist! Main Street always has horrible traffic, while just 1 street over in each direction it's almost perfectly clear, even though they run through the whole city. There was supposed to be a bypass built, but they went and approved a school right next to where it was supposed to be, and it never happened.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks for all the information all. I will be in Logan tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: